Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recently purchased a medium egg and I was wondering what key essential items I should purchase while I anxiously await its arrival. Can you experienced eggers please help me out!

Comments

• Matt Cote,
    a platesetter and a raised grid....and perhaps a mapp torch.

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Matt Cote,
    Ash Tool,
    Grate Gripper,
    a nice set of welders gloves from lowes or home depot.[p]Enjoy.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Matt Cote,
    A remote thermometer (aka a Polder) and an assortment of Lawn Ranger tools. (Link below).[p]Welcome aboard.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Hi Yo Lawn Ranger![/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Matt Cote,
    Welcome to Eggland, first off do not follow the recipe book that comes with your egg. Fill out the warranty card and send it in, read the part in the book about flashbacks. Next, come here with any questions about temp control, recipes or whatever. Great folks here that arfe willing to give you all the help you can ask for.[p]Now for your question. ( I'm assuming you are getting a thermometer, slide daisy wheel top with your egg)[p] I would suggest the Plate Setter and a raised grid. These I find the most important. A remote dual probe thermometer, heavy duty gloves that go almost to your elbow. From there the list goes on and on, the items I listed are what I use most and would not want to be without. There are ways around some of them but these items make Egg-en enjoyable and are a treat to use.[p]Good Luck and Happy New Year,
    New Bob

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Matt Cote, where abouts do you live, this helps if you have food we want to taste, there is also another website that has endless about of information from to to start an Egg to building a table. Also rubs are a big thing here. May want to explore some of them also[p]

[ul][li]The WizSite[/ul]
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Matt Cote,[p]A pallet of Wicked Good Charcoal would be nice

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Matt Cote,
    I totally understand your anticpation.
    You will get a lot of good advice from the forum.
    I would say:
    Platesetter, ash tool, grid lifter, and grate extender, i use an electric starter and keep starter sticks on hand for inclimate weather, and don't forget the lump.
    This could be all you need to do anything on your first cook.
    Just my 2 cents

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    jake42, You can never have too much lump. My wife calls me crazy, but I like to keep at least #50 on hand and I start looking when I get that low. If #50 is called low.

• Sigmore, I know what you mean. Even though an egg makes lump last, I never buy just one bag. I currently have 3 20lb bags in my shed, and one open bag by the egg.

• Matt Cote,
    Welcome to the Cult of the Big green Egg. grape Kool-Aid anyone?

• Matt Cote,[p]You need Dizzy Pig rubs. All of them. I made the mistake of only buying 4, but you need them all. [p]Read the T-rex steak method on the Whiz's site and follow it. That should be your first cook, because they are awesome. Next, make ribs, because we have all had ribs and egg ribs are the best. [p]Get extra patio furniture for your friends and maybe a kegerator for the deck. Your friends will be buying the beer and bringing food for you to cook in no time. [p]Just tried Brats for the first time... a little mustard after the beer boil and some DP tsunami ...mmmmmmm.[p]Ed
    [ul][li]DP[/ul]
  • tach18k,[p]I live in the deep south in Alabama....about 45 mins from the beach.
  • Spike
    Spike Posts: 37
    Matt Cote,
    Get yourself a copy of Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook. You can get it at Barnes and Noble. If you follow those recipes you can't miss.

• Matt Cote,
    Welcome and come back often to ask questions. You will most often find folks that are more than willing to help and share their eggsperiences. Be sure to attend an Eggfest near you; the learning experience is invaluable. As for what to get, here is a list that is pretty encompassing:[p]Plate Setter
    Extra Grid to make a homemade raised grid
    v-rack which will double as your rib rack when turned upside down
    Polder type thermometer
    Thermapen instant read thermometer
    pizza stone
    2 pizza peels
    2 pizza screens
    dutch oven for stews/chili/etc
    4 each X 1/4" brass elbows to use as kiln posts
    MAPP torch for lighting
    bucket for Lump charcoal
    Supply of Lump Charcoal
    Smoking wood chunk selection (hickory, oak, pecan, alder, mesquite, cherry, apple, etc)
    supply of Dizzy Pig rubs
    Supply of Ken Stone rubs
    Dr. BBQ's cookbook
    supply of Heavy Duty aluminum foil
    nice meat injector
    ash tool
    Lawn Ranger custom egg handle
    BGE table with favorite bottle opener attached
    Rain vent cap for egging in the rain
    radio for listening to tunes while cooking
    cooler of fine beverages to support the cooking efforts and hydrate the chef[p]I hope this list helps form your Birthday, Valentines Day, Father's Day and Christmas lists![p]Banker John

• John
    John Posts: 62
    Welcome to Egging! I live in the suburbs of Mobile if you can call it that. You'll enjoy the Egg!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Matt Cote,[p]All of the suggestions are good. I would also suggest a circular drip pan, preferably stainless steel but aluminum will do, for indirect cooks. Get one about three inches less than the diameter of the cooking grate, spray with Pam, wrap it in foil for easy cleanup and use an inverted place setter or some fire bricks to shield it from the direct heat.
    JimW