Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small butt

Picked up a small 5.4lb BB today. It was $.70 a pound cheaper than in May. Just my wife and I, so no timeline to eat tomorrow. It's nice not planning for time. However, my wife plans to go to some garage sales tomorrow AM. This will be to first time I've left the egg cooking unattended for longer than 30 minutes. No decks or anything to worry about. Basically the worst that can happen is that I screwup the cook. As I'm writing this I haven't made a solid plan yet. I'm thinking about lighting the egg at about 0230 and giving it extra time to settle in prior to putting the butt on. I'm thinking that if I let it settle in for a few hours first, it'll give me reassurance/confidence all will be good during my absence.
Plan to smoke at about 250°, I'll settle for whatever the egg wants +/- 20°. No pit controller, no wrapping. Rubbed at about 1900 with mustard and coffee rub per @Mickey‌ recipe. Currently it's chillin' in the fridge. The egg's loaded with Ozark Oak and some pecan, cherry, and apple chunks mixed in. This will be my first butt going fat cap down.

imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Will watch this one. Have fun at the yard/garage sales. Maybe you'll find some nice CI etc. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    SGH said:
    Standing by for the finale.

Me too ;)
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Up and running. Will put the butt on in the morning. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    @sgh, did you notice the snow's almost gone? This is the end of the cold snap, back into the 80's soon.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    It's a steamy 86 degrees just this side of Biloxi tonight. Would love some snow brother Stem!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    SGH said:
    It's a steamy 86 degrees just this side of Biloxi tonight. Would love some snow brother Stem!!!!

I'm hoping the south receives zero freezing weather this year. Especially down in Florida. I want don't want to pay out the wazoo for OJ.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Brother I will gladly pay 20 dollars a gallon for OJ if we get a break from this year around relentless heat!!! It's brutal down here on the Gulf.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    The humidity is what makes it so unbearable down here. In 1998 I worked in Saudi Arabia at the Saudi Aramco Refinery (Formerly Standard Oil of California & Aramco). The actual temp was 121 degrees. Due to the lower humidity it was much more tolerable than a 95 degree day on the coast.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    SGH said:
    The humidity is what makes it so unbearable down here. In 1998 I worked in Saudi Arabia at the Saudi Aramco Refinery (Formerly Standard Oil of California & Aramco). The actual temp was 121 degrees. Due to the lower humidity it was much more tolerable than a 95 degree day on the coast.

I grew up on the West Coast and played outside in extreme heat. I never seen anyone even get heat exhaustion, maybe some cramps from dehydration. I seen my first heat stroke(strokes) when I was stationed in GA. People dropping like flies sprayed with Black Flag. That heat $#!+ is serious down that way.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    No doubt brother. It's almost unbearable at times.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    5.4lb butt on the egg at 0600. Looks like it settled in at 300° since 0300. I shut the vents down a little bit. It'll probably be an hour or so before we head out, so I'll check to see where the egg's at right before leaving for the sales.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • @stemc33...I just put my butt on and am pretty much shadowing your cook, apple,cherry and pecan for smoke..running at about 250 dome. My butt is an 8 pounder and I am just going to let it run all day.. Enjoy your butt and your day.. ( I rubbed with Bad Byrons Butt rub).
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sounds good from here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    Update:
    Left the house at 0800 with the egg @250°F. Returned briefly at 1130 and egg was @230°F. Butt was at 140° In the coldest spot. Opened the vents some and tapped the grate from below. Just returned and temp is back up to 250°. Opened it up a little more to increase temp a bit.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @stemc33-A bit late to this post but ignoring the weather-no worries with abandoning the BGE for a while, especially with your lack of combustible materials close-by.  And if you are stable with the temp then you can shop til you drop without any issues.  I don't do the controller thing-pride, $$ and hardheadedness I guess, but once you know how your BGE behaves at low&slow temps over time then, your call.  Enjoy the end cook results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stemc33
    Thanks for your input @lousubcap‌. I've read many different opinions on leaving the egg unattended. I've been somewhat reluctant just because of the chance screwing up food. Also, I have this fear that something will happen that prevents me getting home in a timely matter.

Anyway, here's the latest pic. Still got awhile before dinner. I guess It'll be done when it's done.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH said:
    Wow ,, @SGH .. my dad worked for Aramco too in Daharan, Ras Tanura & finally Safaniya. I used to go there for my summer vacations and they were brutal. I still remember getting hit by a sandstorm and it felt like someone pricking me with hot metal.

Sorry to deviate from the thread,
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @stemc33-with regard to the delay getting home, I would guess the pop-up snow storms are a consideration at least til May of 2015-but have confidence in your ability to manage the BGE.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @stemc33‌ looks great so far. I think you well on your way. U could always bump temp a smidgen At this stage of the game. It's taken in all the smoke its going to take at this point. 270 is my go to temp for da butt fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stemc33
    Finished, plated, and ate...too full for dessert.

imageimageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Pit controllers are a wonderful peace of mind. Looks like you did fine with out it this time.
    Jacksonville FL
  • great looking cook

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    edited September 2014
    Thanks @dobie, I've thought about a pit controller but I'm just not sure if it's for me. My wife ordered me an iGrill 2 for my birthday and am waiting to get it in the mail. It's on back order, so who knows when it will come. I think the iGrill 2 will be perfect because I can monitor the cooks from inside the house when it's cold. For the most part, I've only had a few problems with temp control on long cooks and they are easily remedied with a few adjustments. It's really not a frequent thing for me to leave the egg unattended. I think a pit controller would be nice, it's just so many wants/needs and I can't have everything. My want/need list is pretty long. I sure didn't count on needing more BBQ stuff when I got the egg.

Thanks @boochsr71‌ and @sgh, I appreciate it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    You are more than welcome brother Stem. Excellent cook for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @fljoemon‌
    The last time I was in there I was working for Wachs Energy Services. We were doing a retube on a Terrace Wall Reformer Heater in Crude Unit #2 (Hydrogen Generator). Miserable to say the least. Was your dad a Aramco employee?

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Fine lookin meal. And cool pics too. What's our go to slaw @stemc33‌
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Great looking cook..@stemc33..Your pics are beyond fantastic, those plated pics...WOW..
    :-O
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....