Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size to get

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to get one for our family. We are only two people. Is the small too small????? How big is the surface?[p]Thanks

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Tracey,[p] The large is 18.5" the medium 15" and the small 13" I believe. The smallest main use Egg I would buy would be a Medium. They fill up fast when you're cooking for a party crowd or family gathering. The Small or mini make good second eggs, the mini is fantastic for taking to the lake or camping trips. Very easy to transport.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Tracey:[p]I'm sure others will chime in, but basically get the largest size the budget can handle. We are a family of two most of the time also (my 27-year old son lives only a couple of miles away) and we started with a medium as that was all I could fit in the budget at the time. I have done some pretty large cooks on the medium, including six full racks of baby back ribs at once (click on the link below to see about that one), or three 7.5#+ pork butts at once. You just have to be creative on fitting everything in. We now have a medium, a large and a mini. We added the large because there were too many occasions where I wanted to cook two different items at different temps. The mini was won in a raffle and really hasn't been used all that much yet (only had it a few months). However, all that being said, I would definitely get at least the medium. [p]Let us know which size you decide on and be sure to check back with the results of your cooks.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Ribs and more ribs[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Tracey,
    Like SSN686 said, get the largest you can fit in the budget, that being said any egg is better then no egg at all.[p]Welcome and good luck,
    New Bob

• Grillicious
    Options
    Tracey, this question comes up about once a month at least, and the general consensus in previous posts is to get the large. 18.5" is not too big or too small, just right for the majority of cooks. If you need more space just add a grid extender/raised grid. But definitely go with the largest you budget can afford.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tracey,
    We too are just a family of two. Five+ years ago I wss at the cross road just like you. I toyed with a small vs. a medium thinking that was "all we would ever" need. After taking the good advice of veteran eggers we sprung for the Large. Within a year we added a small (it's the perfect steak and burger cooker) and then a year later added the medium. Now we have a mini for travel. May I suggest that whatever you can afford - stretch a bit and get the next size up. Besides you have to remember the big picture - the BGE is a lifetime investment - not money thrown away into a gassey that you'll be replacing in four years!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    Tracey, I got the large for 3 people and have never been disapointed with the choice. The large is the perfect size for cooking a pizza for two. The large is worth the extra money. FF

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Tracey,
    All these folks are right bigger is better.
    When I got my first large I found space a bit cramped for doing sides & holiday meals so of course I needed to get a second large.
    And welcome.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• SSN686,
    Will be more than happy to take that mini off your hands LOL :O)[p]We have a large for a family of 4...and it's perfect. I would suggest <and noticed that it has not as of yet> you find all your local dealers and see what kind of deals you can get...I went w/the large when it was only about $60 more than a medium package I wanted after a special the dealer was having...if that makes sense. Remember that a small may work for 2 but what happens when you have company over....I know I love mine!
    ~Arlene!

• ranger ray
    Options
    Tracey,
    get a large.... i'm single...i still need all of the space that a large provides... had a mini... didn't serve my needs in the least....thanks! ray

• Tracey,I would have to say that the Medium would probably work out fine for you unless you plan on cooking a 15 ½ Lb rib roast on it, and who in their right mind would try something like that.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Tracey,
    Buy the large. You never have too much cooking space. It will do all the smaller ones will do & you can cap it off when done cooking to save fuel.[p]Besides, it is closer to the Golden Ratio.[p]You need the large to cook fowl vertically &/or multiple butts.[p]Dealers here in Metro Kansas City all recommend the large.[p]

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Turkey1001.jpg
    <p />Tracey,
    Go Large, you'll want to do a turkey at Thanksgiving.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Arlene:[p]You would have to try and pry it from my wife's hands. After we won it she let me know in no uncertain terms that the mini is hers (though she really hasn't used it yet). [p]P9240009.jpg[p]Is that the face of someone who would part with her egg (by the way she has named it "Olive" because it is small and green), just waiting on Lawn Ranger to send the new handle for it.[p]Also, used it tonight for part of dinner, did a chicken cordon blu and a stuffed bell pepper in the mini and wokked some veggies in the medium.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    MakoBBQ,
    With a probe, where would it go on this turkey? Thanks![p]Newbie

• RocketMan
    Options
    Tracey,[p]you wouldn't be disappointed with a medium - I rarely cook for more than two, and there is plenty of room for a meal plus leftovers!
    Big enough to do a butt for pulled pork, or for a full turkey breast... if you think you'd want to do a big bird, etc, then go for the large.
    I've not ever really wished for a bigger Egg, but often for a second one (to cook something at the same time that needs a different temp, etc...)! ;-)[p]- Andy

• Tracey,
    There are one of me..... large just barely makes the grade...thinkin' bout gettin' a small to complement. Welcome to the forum. Mik

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    Tracey,
    Me and my wife are also a two-member family. We purchased the large and are quite happy with the size. It gives us enough grill space to do big enough things to give us plenty of leftovers. Also, it handles the times we have friends over. Just my $0.02 worth.[p]Brian

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    JAKE,
    It would go in the middle of one of the breast. Careful not to let it rest on a bone.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    I have the medium & there are 2 of us - the medium can do overnighters, ribs & 17lb turkey as well as 14" pizza
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    SSN686,[p]"Olive!" That is funny and perfect. Thanks for the grin.[p]Joyce