Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware ss cap question/issue

I got my Smokeware SS cap in the mail yesterday and wanted to try it out. I installed the gasket and fit the Smokeware base all the way down as per instructions.

So then I decided to grill up a few of my Flannery burgers (Flannery Beef: http://www.flannerybeef.com ...check out their burger builder page where they you can create your own burger meat "blend").

When I do these burgers I tend to do them hot and quick 500-550 direct on cast iron grate (upside down for wider char marks), 2 min per side with a 5 min. rest. Then a bakery fresh brioche bun and...

But I digress.

After grilling I closed the bottom vent all the way and rotated the Smokeware cap to fully closed. 

I went back out to cover the Egg for the night 5 hours later and the temperature gauge was still reading 280!

I've never had this happen before with the ceramic top.  Even when doing pizza's at 600-700 degrees, when I shut the vent and put on the ceramic cap, the Egg was cool enough to cover in less than 3 hours.

Using my BBQ mitts I was able to wiggle the Smokeware base off and put the ceramic cap on and it was cool in another 90 minutes or so.

Examining the two pieces of the Smokeware cap I noticed that the top was not very snug when put on the bottom (see attached photo).  

Is this typical/normal... or the possible source of my problem?

Informed opinion valued... idle speculation, not so much.
San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.

Comments

• In for info..
    I just ordered the same cap for my L egg, about 2 days ago..

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's not normal. Mine shuts the egg down even faster than the ceramic cap.It should seat right on the lower part with no gap, giving a little resistance when move the top part.

I'd contact Smokeware for a warranty claim/replacement.
  • I remember thinking my lid was "loose" but I am not sure it was that loose.  Hard to tell though.  You may just have to get a few cooks under it and see if some of the sticky goopy stuff that the smoke leaves behind helps seal it.  I was originally concerned with shut down due to the gap but never had any problems.  ive got probably 20 cooks on mine now and don't have any issues with closing it down and the fire going out.

re-looking at the pic, I would say that gap is normal.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    To me its slow on shutdown. My first on sucked and the dealer gave me another for free.
    I'm not 100% sold on the shutdown with it and still use the ceramic most times.
    Seattle, WA
  • I don't think that is normal. Same as @Eggcelsior here, mine shuts the egg down faster and it was that way from the first day I put it on.  Would definitely contact smokeware.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited September 2014
    Mine is a very tight tolerance so I too would suggest contacting the company. Also mine snuffs extremely well, but then I placed my gasket on the inside of theSmokeWare cap - not on the dome and it fits very snug!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • @UncleFred‌ I've had mine about 4 months and I'm having the same problem. I put my gasket in the same place. Mine will not "shut down". The whole reason I bought it was to replace both cap and daisy!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Thank you all for such rapid and informed responses. Greatly appreciated!

After composing my inquiry here, I sent basically the same as an email to Smokeware.  I will report back on what I hear from them.

I am intrigued by the comment about placing the gasket on the Smokeware unit and may try that depending on Smokeware's response.
  • RRP
    UncleFred said:

I am intrigued by the comment about placing the gasket on the Smokeware unit and may try that depending on Smokeware's response.
    The whole point in doing so is when you do the occasional burnout then the gasket won't be in harms way. BTW since I replied I went out and tried to wiggle my top which is the female part and it has no wiggle room at all - as I said the tolerance is very exact.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP‌
    Will putting a gasket inside of the standard cast iron daisy wheel work? I ask because my daisy wheel on my mini fits very poor. It almost sits sideways on the mini. It is a very poor fit compared to the one on my large.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ Will putting a gasket inside of the standard cast iron daisy wheel work? I ask because my daisy wheel on my mini fits very poor. It almost sits sideways on the mini. It is a very poor fit compared to the one on my large.
    Yes - and a lot of people do just that. PM coming your way...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP‌
    Thank you sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    edited September 2014
    BTW - another egger buddy of mine who doesn't post here just recd his new SmokeWare today and he just sent me a pix. His is as tight fitting as mine is. The reason I bring that up is the company has been sold out of stock for some time so yours as well as my buddies had to all come from the newest batch. Maybe you got a lemon, but let's see what response you get from SmokeWare...
  • I still use my ceramic cap to snuff. I only use my smokeware to cook. I save a lot of charcoal over using the smokeware cap.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Something is going on....mine seems to shutdown just like normal.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    I still use my ceramic cap to snuff. I only use my smokeware to cook. I save a lot of charcoal over using the smokeware cap.

Hmmmm, 17 months now and perfectly happy with my airtight SmokeWare! I don't even know where my drafty old daisey or ceramic cap are as I have never even once reverted to them! I am beginning to wonder if my gasket in the cap vs on the egg might be far more the explanation than what I thought!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I had a failed one and my new one is not great.I stand by that for sure and glad to see some are having same issue.

Seattle, WA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Mine doesn't snuff as good as the ceramic cap but I don't have to switch caps. Burning more lump for sure.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    SkinnyV said:
    I had a failed one and my new one is not great.I stand by that for sure and glad to see some are having same issue.

I'm not being a smart*ss here, OK? But where is your gasket? Cap or dome and if on the dome where is it in relation to the openings of the vents on the SmokeWare. Do you mind being the first to post a picture?
  • @RRP‌ anyone tried a Rutland on the SmokeWare cap yet? I'll be jumping on the Rutland wagon next year, but I'm staying with my daisy wheel for the short term.... Might try to put one on the daisy wheel and ceramic cap!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited September 2014
    My ss cap shuts down as fast or faster than the stock ceramic cap! The only time I shutdown with the ceramic cap is after a high heat pizza cook so I don't damage the nomex gasket on the cap . How do you clean this thing mine is black as tar?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RRP
    @RRP‌ anyone tried a Rutland on the SmokeWare cap yet? I'll be jumping on the Rutland wagon next year, but I'm staying with my daisy wheel for the short term.... Might try to put one on the daisy wheel and ceramic cap!

none that I know of and that includes me! I used the piece of peel and stick that came with the SmokeWare.
  • all I want to add is that your avatar is bad ass..

I love to singa..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1FifK3bbg
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    SkinnyV said:

Thanks! In my humble opinion that is your whole problem! The gasket in the bottom like that is not going to get compressed when pushed down tight. Scroll back up this thread and see how I placed my gasket that came with my cap right under the vent openings of the SmokeWare. Mine is very tight and does not move!
  • all I want to add is that your avatar is bad ass..

I love to singa..

Best cartoon...EVER! 
  • Dobie
    all I want to add is that your avatar is bad ass..

I love to singa..

Some old skool awesomeness right there!
    Jacksonville FL
  • San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Dobie
    So many parallels, thank you!
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ooops... only meant to post the url. 

And before the forum police chastise me severely, I realize that I've wandered out into left field somewhere. Mea culpa.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.