Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My idiot son.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Anybody used to have go and get a "switch"? My parents (mom mostly) used to make us go get a tree limb. If it wasn't good enough, we would have to go get another. I really hated the weeping willow limbs. ouch
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Tjcoley said:
    We got beat more in school than at home. Every teacher had a paddle hanging by the desk. And if it had holes drilled in it you knew you were in for some pain from less wind resistance. Boys, girls, didn't matter - if you acted up you were bent over the desk and paddled. Today those teachers would be in jail.

our principal called his "The Board of Education". It was written right on the handle.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @tulocay‌
    Most of the time I had to get the whole bush. Not just a switch if you will.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    tulocay said:

Anybody used to have go and get a "switch"? My parents (mom mostly) used to make us go get a tree limb. If it wasn't good enough, we would have to go get another. I really hated the weeping willow limbs. ouch

That was my dad and that's after my mom whipped my butt and said wait tell your dad gets home. This only happened like twice.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tulocay
    @SGH‌ You must have been a bad boy. I also got the hand a lot and the belt on occasion. My how times have changed.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    @tulocay‌
    Brother I wasn't always the good guy that I am now. I use to be more than a handful. But yeah I was a bad child for sure.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tulocay
    @SGH‌ We all had our moments! I straightened up when I joined the Air Force. Best thing I ever did.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    @tulocay‌
    I straightened up and made a change for the better when my grand children were born. It just did something to me.

Status- Standing by.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2014

No one else will say it, but it's Friday, so what the heck.   :) 

I can't imagine any circumstance that would lead to me calling our son an idiot - at any age.  Not privately and certainly not publicly.

Granted, his actions were sometimes idiotic, and I'd tell him so - constructively, I hope. 

Besides, I've always figured that the way I describe others - whether verbally or graphically - says more about me than it does about them.  You know?

That's JMO, of course. :|

Happy Weekend, all!  :)>-

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    What I know about SGH's son (per SGH). He's an idiot and he's getting zero inheritance.

Thanks dad!!!! :-\"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    @sardonicus, in Mississippi the term "idiot" is a term of endearment. =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    JRWhitee said:

@sardonicus, in Mississippi the term idiot is a term of endearment. =))

=))
  • I got whipped more times than I can count and mostly with a loooooong wooden spoon handle.  As a matter of fact, my mom would drive around in the big old Cadillac with the spoon resting on the dash.  If my brother and I got too out of line all she had to do was slow down and reach for the damned thing and we'd start dodging and blows rained down upon us.  Hahahaha......good times.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @Sardonicus I don't necessarily disagree, But, I do understand SGH's humor in the title of his post.
    Self-denigrating humor in the right situation is funny and acceptable to me. 
    So I can imagine calling your/our own child an idiot in some circumstances. 
    This case is acceptable and funny.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    TigerTony said:

@Sardonicus I don't necessarily disagree, But, I do understand SGH's humor in the title of his post.

Your post reminded me of this:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4784416

I personally avoid referring to my kids in terms that are demeaning. This is a personal decision as my father chose the opposite path and it really affected my self confidence when I was younger. Those words stuck with me till I finally said F off, I don't give a f.

I will tell my wife something like this, "Kinleigh is something else today and I really want to body slam her". It's in jest, as was SGH's reference. To each his own.
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2014
    TigerTony said:

I'm sure you're right, TigerTony.  He and his son know best how to communicate with each other.  I was just sharing my view of . . . whatever that is.

Besides, if that thread really was posted by his son as SGH says, then that means his son knows this forum and is apparently okay with being referred to in that manner.

To each family its own.

Bless their hearts. :-<

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    edited September 2014
    cazzy said:
      . . . To each his own.

Agreed.

• JRWhitee
    We have to take this in the right context as well, @SGH was referring to an adult son as opposed to a mere child which probably would not be in good taste but once your over 21 the gloves are off...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

. . . To each his own.

Agreed.

Agree.
  • SGH
    Hello. I'm SGH.
    I just wanted to get back in on my own post. :D

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    SGH said:
    Hello. I'm SGH. I just wanted to get back in on my own post. :D
    You crack me up.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2014
    I wish folks would mind their own business and trust that somebody knows what they're doing in regards to dealing with their family. If somebody refers to their son as an idiot, I trust that they know what they're talking about and it is appropriate. If somebody says their kid won't get an inheritance, then I trust they know what they're doing.

Sometimes this place has more gossips than a stadium full of old ladies.
    I'm just sayin...
    Flint, Michigan
  • Bless their hearts. :-<

Keep stirring that pot........

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Thanks brother. I have a great sense of humor brother Whitee. Nothing like a good laugh my friend. You know the old saying: Smile and the whole world will smile with you :D

Status- Standing by.

• Sardonicus
    I wish folks would mind their own business . . . I'm just sayin...

Okay, Fred19Flintstone (& DMW).  I was "just sayin" too.

Thought I could.

• cazzy

I wish folks would mind their own business and trust that somebody knows what they're doing in regards to dealing with their family. If somebody refers to their son as an idiot, I trust that they know what they're talking about and it is appropriate. If somebody says their kid won't get an inheritance, then I trust they know what they're doing.

Sometimes this place has more gossips than a stadium full of old ladies.
    I'm just sayin...

I was just joking...I guess you just have to say something and not mind your own damn business.

Hi ;)
  • SGH
    @Sardonicus‌
    Brother Sard don't take anything serious or personal that you read on this forum. Must of it is just folks kidding around. Just humor and fun. Nothing more. A few people jousting back and forth with each other has got me over 3,000 hits on this post. So I welcome it. I intentionally stir cazzy up when I'm bored. Why? It's fun and it's a sure way to get thousands of hits. All in good fun with each other. Nothing personal at all.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    SGH said:

@Sardonicus‌
    Brother Sard don't take anything serious or personal that you read on this forum. Must of it is just folks kidding around. Just humor and fun. Nothing more. A few people jousting back and forth with each other has got me over 3,000 hits on this post. So I welcome it. I intentionally stir cazzy up when I'm bored. Why? It's fun and it's a sure way to get thousands of hits. All in good fun with each other. Nothing personal at all.

I wasn't really stirred up though. I think you knew I was joking. I could give two shits what you do with your family. I got my own growing family to worry about. Cheers. :)
  • SGH
    See. I just got him to give me another bump to the the top and another hit. It's just that simple. Nothing to it.

Status- Standing by.