Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Yeti rambler and wine???

Options
Ok all you yeti owners, I have a 20 and a 30 ready for pick on Saturday. Question I am thinking of getting SWMBO a 20 oz Yeti. Wine is a "Food Group for my sweet heart. How many of you use the Yeti for adult beverages without ice, could you chill the mug and then pour wine into it, and would it keep the wine chilled for camping trips or tailgating? Just trying to figure out if it could be used for keeping wine chilled? Or does the ice not really effect the adult beverage? Any one have some insight??
TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A++ for all of that. Keeps wine really cold even without adding ice. We bought ours for the pool and we drink a lot of wine out there. I haven't used a different cup for anything since I bought it. Best $30 I've spent in a while. I've lasts all day. Like 12 hours.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have both tried a beer in the 20 and it stayed at temp a long time. It was nice.

I don't know if without ice if the chill will hold for hours but you could have it iced then dump when ready to fill with the beverage.
    Seattle, WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I meant ICE lasts all day. Damn autocorrect
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I was pretty sure you meant you can go all day drinking wine. I still suspect that may be accurate. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Cen Tex thanks for the info, being that wine is a MUST for SWMBO, she loved hearing your comments. I think you just became her new best friend. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @SkinnyV
    SkinnyV said:
    I have both tried a beer in the 20 and it stayed at temp a long time. It was nice. I don't know if without ice if the chill will hold for hours but you could have it iced then dump when ready to fill with the beverage.
    That is what I am thinking, pre chill and dump the ice, does the outside of the rambler feel cold?
    On a side note, a while back you suggested going to Big John's Pacific's well the time has come for us and we will take it in this weekend. Looking for to that, thanks again.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @DMW does your comment mean that our good friend orders wine by the keg?? :x
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Any issue with the lid not being able to close or seal up?? That is the one thing I question about the rambler, guess if you are traveling, you don't fill er right up.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Lid seals but it has an opening where you drink from.
    When I had my cold beer I dumped ice cold water from the yeti, it was cold and no the outside is not cold to the touch.
    Seattle, WA
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Is it better than a Tervis cup?  Just wondering how they compare.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options

The yeti keeps drinks colder longer than the Tervis . I'm in love with my yeti. I keep filling it all day long and it's still cold when I need it in the middle of the night. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    When sitting by the pool and drinking not expensive wine my wife will put ice cubes in a sandwich bag tie shut and then put in her glass.  Keeps wine chilled and doesn't water it down.  (No one said we were always classy.)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    I was pretty sure you meant you can go all day drinking wine. I still suspect that may be accurate. :D
    I have to switch to Tito's eventually but I can roll all day when the occasion calls for it. Although i seem to be paying a higher and higher price as the years wear on.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WAY better and I have a bunch of tervis (which i still like). it's night and day. I drink ice water all day. Put ice in at 7 am, it's still in there at 6 pm.. It keeps stuff cold several hours longer than our Tervis tumblers
  • saluki2007
    Options
    DMW said:
    I have to switch to Tito's eventually but I can roll all day when the occasion calls for it. Although i seem to be paying a higher and higher price as the years wear on.

It's only a matter of time before it will as expensive as the other big names.  I was in Chicago this weekend and Titos drink was $12 and GG, Belvedere were $11.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    When sitting by the pool and drinking not expensive wine my wife will put ice cubes in a sandwich bag tie shut and then put in her glass.  Keeps wine chilled and doesn't water it down.  (No one said we were always classy.)

Did you consider some whiskey stones?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • saluki2007
    Options
    My whiskey stones are only for whiskey!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hankyorke
    Options
    My wife puts frozen fruit in her wine to keep it cool at the pool.

LBGE

BTFU!

• EggObsessed
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, Wow!  I'm sold.  Will try to get some this weekend!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @GannyX4 this is great news, can't wait till tomorrow, we will pick them up and the first order of business is to find some ice to fill them with and try them out. I read somewhere that they don't sweat so that is a bonus too. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Saluki2007 that is ingenuis, great idea. Classy idea for sure, don't underestimate the idea.
    Cheers. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Hankyorke that too is a great idea, will pass that on to SWMBO for sure.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @EggObsessed, looks like you and me will be shopping this weekend huh. Do we blame Haspter  :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    One more sleep till I hold one in my hand.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GQuiz said:

Did you consider some whiskey stones?
    That is an awesome idea!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, Wow!  I'm sold.  Will try to get some this weekend!
    I got mine at Austin Canoe and Kayak on N. Burnet Rd (just N of 183)

• GQuiz
    Options
    Thanks to recommendation from @skinnyv, I went online at Austinkayak.com and got first one for 20% off and free shipping. Hoping the 20 ounce will be a good peace offering for SWMBO. Got 2 with free shipping for just over 58. If you're outside the great state of Texas, I don't think there is tax. That would be 54 for 2. Great deal. Already have the 30.

• GQuiz
    Options
    Sierra Hotel! Got notice my Ramblers shipped already. That's less than 3 hours after ordering. And I get a free Austin Kayak sticker. Bonus. Thanks @hapster. Great original recommendation.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

My wife has one of these wine Tervis style cups (not made by Tervis) Probably doesn't keep the cold as long as a Yeti, but she drinks it fast enough that it don't matter. Or she did and will again in 4 months or so.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    Options
    They have those at the Dollar Tree. $1 a cup. Great for a group of women drinking copious amounts of vino next to the pool.