Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric starter

Options
I have been using a looftlighter since I've been using my BGE and it seems like an electric starter would be a more efficient way to get the fire started. Anyone have a strong point of view on this? Also, are any of these electric starters preferable or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I use electric all the time. Ii have an outlet within 14" of the egg, other than its own cord, nothing needed. New lump it is ready to remove in 8 minutes, second burn lump in 6 minutes. I use my Maverick 732 timer function to remind me the starter is in. Mine is a cheapie <$15 from HD or Lowe's can't remember which. It is over four years old (used it before the egg). 
    Dump in the lump, move a few around so the coil is just covered, I try for towards the front on the top. Another thing to consider is when you remove it, have a safe place to hang it until it cools. 

Key with electrics is to take them out as soon as the lump catches - the burning lump will get so hot it will burn out the coil in no time. Noticed my local HD had some on sale 50% off this past week.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I've been using an electric starter as of late, and I will say I like the ones that are longer, and bent with an offset like the BGE one, or Grill Dome. The handle not right in the the heat. 

And as skiddy says, I set my kitchen timer for 8 minutes to remember and go out, to pull the starter out as I've melted handles. 
    X(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have both the bent style BGE lighter, and Looftlight ... my favourite lighting method these days is starting the sparks with a butane torch (bought it for sous vide searing) almost instantly, then blast it with Looftlighter.

Dumb question: Anyone tried bending the straight style electric starter? I think the ceramic inside will crack at the bends, but as long as the coils are intact it might work, no?  I wouldn't risk bending a brand new one but if you have an old surplus may be it's worth a try, just thinking out loud/crazy!
    canuckland
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +1 for the BGE electric starter. Like @tazcrash says, just set a kitchen timer for 6 to 8 minutes. We have an old chimney style starter for starting charcoal and putting newspaper in the bottom that we use to put the starter in to cool after pulling it out of the coals.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Canugghead - some elements can be bent - before use - while new - right out of the box. So if you want to try it you have to risk doing it with a new one, not an old one. 

I've left mine straight, but that is just a personal preference. Years ago - when most starters were straight and I was using a charcoal chimney for the kettle, my neighbor suggested I use an electric to avoid the newspaper ash drifting all over (he was very diplomatic for someone who lived downwind). He had a bent one that sat on the lip of his kettle with the element parallel to the charcoal grate. When I asked him where he bought it, he said he just bent it before he used it - evidently the first heating sets the ceramic inside and the element becomes brittle. 

Brings up two points: bend before use and do not jam the used element into a lump pile, you could shorten the life. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Good to know, thanks @Skiddymarker, not that I need another one.
    canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bge electric its nice, lately lean to mapp torch.
    Seattle, WA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I usually use a MAP propane torch but I still use the BGE electric starter from time to time. Works well. Only downside is having to take out and put away the extension cord and having to remember to remove it from the fire. I hang the hot metal on a cast iron plant hanger to cool off.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I always use my bge electric if I'm using my large and with my small if I'm cooking at home because its just so easy. At the camp the outlet isnt close so I use mapp torch.

Little Rock, AR

• SmokyBear
    Options
    I've been using an electric (the angled Grill Dome one) pretty much since I first got my Mini..and now use it on my KJ Classic also - but was thinking of getting either a LoofLighter or Bison Airlighter.

I like the ease of use of the Electric, but build a pyramid of lump on top of it (large at bottom, smaller at top).  So far, so good..but when I go to pull the lighter OUT of the pile, the entire thing collapses, totally destroying the pyramid which defeats the whole purpose in the first place.

I've toyed with the idea of a Looflighter or Bison but also am on a wood deck and very hesitant about the (lots of) sparks. (So, flamethrower is definitely out of the question for me).  I've also tried starter cubes and have never gotten the hang of them - although that would probably be a good solution to keeping the lump pile intact if I could ever get them to work as quickly and consistently as the electric lighter..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like using the electric so I don't have to stand around while lighting.  I plug it in, go in the house, set the timer on the microwave, and begin prepping food.  When the timer goes off, I go out and pull the lighter, unplug it.  Close the dome and go back in to continue prepping while I wait for the egg to come up in temp.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmokyBear
    Options
    SWMBO broke the timer button on our microwave, so I use my handy TimeStick from Thermoworks instead..but same idea.

If you guys haven't bought a TimeStick yet, get one - they're awesome..even has a lanyard to hang the thing around your neck, which makes you look like a TRUE BBQ geek (ask me how I know!)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    I don't have an outlet outside.  So, I have to use a propane torch and an all natural fiber square thingy.  The end result of all my cooks are worth the wait.  I will get an electric once I get a different place.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• OmahaOne
    Options
    Although only cooking on the BGE for a couple of weeks, I've been using the Looftlighter and have great success with it. It does help that the outside outlet is close enough I don't need another cord. I can see how a propane torch would be a good way to start it too.  
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN