Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite LUMP that ADDS Smoke Flavor?!

Options
There have been a lot of posts lately about how nice Rockwood and Ozark Oak are when you want a neutral smoke flavor.  We don't have to rehash that here, that's understood and I have a bag of each.  ;)

I have enjoyed the smoke flavor that I get from BGE and Royal Oak lump.  :-bd    I found a lot of rocks in my last bag of RO, but other than that it was fine.

I also have a bag of FOGO that has a nice smoke flavor that I enjoy for medium length cooks.  I do not love the flavor for overnight cooks, but I know that is just a personal preference.  It's a great lump, folks rave about it.  Takes a little longer for me to light and get up to temp.

So, what lumps do you like that ADD great wood smoke flavor to your cooks?  :-/

I know you can always add wood, but sometimes...its nice not to have to bother.  Get a nice flavorful lump and let it do the work!

Look forward to your insight. Thanks! 
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Sam's Club sells a natural mesquite hardwood charcoal that should give you lots of smoke flavor.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• clintmiller
    Options
    I use Central Market Mesquite Lump and don't get a lot of smoke flavor. It's pretty neutral, like when I used to use Ozark Oak. I've used it exclusively for nearly 2 years, including for cooks like pies, where you wouldn't want to pick up any mesquite flavor. I agree with the comment that it's probably better to use a neutral lump and add wood chunks for smoke flavor.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I don't use lump to add flavor that is what wood chunks are for.
     Same here.  I want the charcoal to be neutral so that I control the smoke flavor and smokiness through the woods I select.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My all time very favorite would have to be Kingsford Match Light for that little extra something that only it can give. It stands alone and unchallenged in this arena. ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just kidding above. For lump that adds flavor I like Ozark Oak.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Ahh, good to hear SGH.  I thought the reports were that RW and OO were both very neutral with OO just adding a hair of flavor.  

I guess I should clarify, I'm not talking about lump that has little wood chips embedded in it or anything, but there are definitely lumps that bring more flavor and some less. 

I understand that neutral for many of you is good.  But for a lot of us, we are not particular about the type of wood we add (cuz we don't any better) and just want a lump that adds the most it can and with the least fuss.

Maybe all lump does.  Even the "neutral" ones.   But I do like when I see smoke coming from my BGE with lump only (after the VOCs have burned off) ;)

Good feedback.  Thanks!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    My sentiment exactly.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I just use RO. It's all the flavor we need.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

Me too!!! Personally I question how many of us viewing and commenting have such palates that we can distinguish this wood from that wood! Maybe the smoke itself you can tell it is hickory vs mild apple, but to take a bite and say "boy that is the best wild cherry smoke, or pin oak that I have ever tasted" leaves me questioning...know what I mean?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:

Me too!!! Personally I question how many of us viewing and commenting have such palates that we can distinguish this wood from that wood! Maybe the smoke itself you can tell it is hickory vs mild apple, but to take a bite and say "boy that is the best wild cherry smoke, or pin oak that I have ever tasted" leaves me questioning...know what I mean?

I couldn't agree more.  It may be my inexperience compared to you pros, but, I honestly say I really don't think I could taste the difference between pecan and apple on ribs!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I would agree that differentiating between smoke woods on a cook (taste-wise) is highly unlikely, but you can taste the difference between flavor imparted by lump and that of a smoke wood.  Sometimes color gets into the game as well-think cherry and poultry.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I would agree that differentiating between smoke woods on a cook (taste-wise) is highly unlikely, but you can taste the difference between flavor imparted by lump and that of a smoke wood.  Sometimes color gets into the game as well-think cherry and poultry.  YMMV-
    I can ABSOLUTELY tell a difference between fruit woods, pecan, oak, and hickory. They are all pretty distictive IMO. 

Also, the reason not to have your charcoal impart the smoke is so you can control the amount of smoke more than the flavor profile. 1 chunk is much less smokey than 5 chunks. And even a child can discern that difference.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    use cowboy if you want to see and taste some smoke, its what i use mostly because of availability, definatly hasa stronger flavor and the folks that want very little smoke flavor hate it
    :)) ozark has a nice smokiness, i dont concider it neutral at all, and any of the maple wood lumps like basque sugar maple or mapleleaf have a pleasant taste
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SGH said:
    My all time very favorite would have to be Kingsford Match Light for that little extra something that only it can give. It stands alone and unchallenged in this arena. ;)

=))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I too can tell the difference in most of the different wood smokes, it took years to distinguish the difference but I can tell. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @thatgrimguy @jrwhitee and anyone else who can weigh in - my feeling is that woods like apple and cherry are milder, mesquite and hickory more pungent.  I haven't used a lot of oak or pecan but they seem to fall somewhere in between.  does this seem right or am I crazy?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
     Alder, apple, cherry, grape, maple, mulberry, orange, and peach. are all pretty mild

Hickory, mesquite, oak, pecan, walnut, and whiskey barrel - Are all strong

I find hickory and mesquite to be the strongest and flat out won't use mesquite. 

Fruit woods seem to be lighter and sweeter, then pecan and oak, and rounding out the top with hickory, mesquite and whiskey/tabasacco barrels.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2014
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I too can tell the difference in most of the different wood smokes, it took years to distinguish the difference but I can tell. 
    So it sounds like the laymen (i.e. friends and family) won't know the difference.  At least between all the nut and fruit trees.   Hickory and Mesquite can be strong enough for your seasoned guest to tell...but probably not enough to say if they like one vs. the other.

That was the funny thing I found with the Fogo.  I did a low and slow and for me there was a background flavor in ribs and chicken I wasn't crazy about...but I was being oversensitive.  Everybody who ate the food which I served at a party raved about it!  LOL

Good thread, though.  Thanks for the feedback!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I can tell the difference between hickory and cherry. I use cherry for smoked turkey breast and I always throw a chunk or two in with hickory on ribs, brisket and butts for the color. That said, I'm not sure anyone I serve can tell the difference.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    My family agrees with you on the smoke flavour from RO used without smoke wood. It is our go to on pizza. I've used Maple Leaf and have had others say this doesn't taste like your regular wood fire pizza. 

I don't care for mesquite lump by itself, but do like to mix it with other lump rather than use mesquite chunks or chips. 

First bag of RW and OO still on the bucket list.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH.............LMAO...that's a good one

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI