Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky...to refrig or not to refrig?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All this dicussion on jerky has prompted me to ask a burning question. Do I have to keep my beef jerky in the refrig or can it be left out at room temp in a sealed container like "store bot" stuff? What preserves the meat and how can you tell you have reached that preserrvation stage? I hate to risk any of that good stuff via a test, but maybe I should? ^oo^~

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    one feral kat,[p]If the jerky is thoroughly dehydrated - and fat free - it should be fine at room temperature. But as a jerky novice, I figured it wouldn't hurt to refrigerate it. This hasn't had a negative effect on either taste or texture.[p]Cathy

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    one feral kat,[p]Use a little Tender Quick or instacure and very lean piece of meat and it will not need to be kept in the ice box. Some folks will say the cure is not needed, but to be on the safe side it is worth it. See Stogie's Jerky Page and Jerky Recipes.[p]
    Ashley[p][p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    one feral kat, I have never refrigerated mine, I keep it in a sealed plastic bag. But then, because of eating habbits, it never lasts more tha a day or three.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    one feral kat,[p]I fall into the category of not refrigerating mine. Its usually gone quickly enough that I dont have to worry about it. If it starts to hang around long enough I guess I'd throw it into the refrigerator but have not had to test that theory yet. Just keep it in a plastic bag on the counter, open the bag if it gets too dry, close it up if it's too moist.[p]Troy[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter,[p]Whoops, close the bag if its too dry, open it if its too moist. Sorry[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    sprinter, and if you can't tell the difference (too dry or too moist) it's time to leave the bag open, pop a cold brew and just eat! [p]Have a nice weekend.

• sprinter
    Gfw,[p]Amen to that. Ya know, you have to learn the food you cook. Moist vs. dry jerkey, very important life lesson, and one that I'm up to the task of learning. Brisket done? Gotta learn that one too. PP done? learn it. Steak crusted well enough? learn it. Good smoke ring?....[p]Have a great one too.[p]Troy[p]PS: There a great looking meatloaf recipe in the current issue of Southern Living, going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll post the results.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    one feral kat, I have some reindeer jerky I brought over from Sweden about six years ago. It's been sitting in my refrigerator and every now and then I pull out a piece. It's good but I'll tell you - it's rock hard until you get enough mouth moisture on it. Refrigeration will dry it out even more than what slow cooking will do to it. [p]Any jerky I leave outside the refrigerator gets eaten by my 16 year old within 24 hours.

• Gfw
    Wise One, after reading your post, I decided to give the refrigerator a try - I don't think it will keep any longer - you are right about the moisture, it seems to draw it out - the reason it won’t last any longer? It may be gone sooner! Thanks.[p]