Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read a lot about how to cook the Boston Butt here on the forum. Two things I seem to keep missing are:[p]1) What is the best size of Butt to cook?[p]2) Does the Boston Butt come in more than one type of cut? In other words, is there a lower half and top half and how much marbling of the meat is best?[p]Hope everyone out there has a safe, healthy, fun filled, and prosperous 2006.

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    first06cook.jpg
    <p />Eggprentice,
    That is a common question. The Boston but is connected of the shoulder. They both work well for pulled pork.
    I usually get the two pack from Costco each piece is around 9 to 10 pounds. This works well for me.
    pulled05.jpg
    newyear05.jpg

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    jake42,
    Sir Mixalot is a good source here "I like big butts and I can not lie"
    I normally find them in the 6-7lb variety. I'm having butt envy here in the Coscoless part of Ohio....I'll have to check out Sams Club.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I prefer the butts at Sam's because the are bone in, the Costco here only carries boneless ones. -RP

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Eggprentice,
    There is no "best size" but most of us are able to get butts that are between 4 and 10 pounds. They're all the same. Cook low and slow 250º for between 1 and 2 hours a pound. No rules just rules of thumb. The butt is originally connected to the shoulder. The butt (if I recall correctly) is the top and the shoulder is the bottom half. My family seems to think the shoulder has the best flavor. Buy either boneless or bone in butt/shoulder. Rarely around here can I get the whole hunk o meat.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    AZRP,
    I normally get them at Wallyworld and they are bone in as well. I don't think I've seen a boneless one.[p]I'm thinking shoulder for the next PP excursion for a change of pace.

• Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    Eggprentice, As big as you can get, it will be eaten. You might want to look at info for the BBQ Guru. For long slow cooks it can't be beat. Also the first time you cook give your self extra time, do not worry, read the naked Whiz sight about the plateau. It is a great experience cooking, pulling and eating your first Butt. Good luck, FF