Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How do/did you cook ramen?

Options

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I had lunch at ippudo today- really mind blowing ramen. Not kidding- we should really consider how to adapt this to the egg. Not sure it would bring anything to the broth but could be interesting for the ingredients.
    Greensboro, NC
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Wolfpack‌ I'm actually going to give this a shot. I'm looking at the vertical now trying to figure out a good way to hang the noodles. I'm thinking about jetnet and the hooks.
    I think it would only work if you do it over a LARGE pan of water so you can keep it at 90-95% humidity     :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Chicken flavor tastes like chicken. Shrimp like shrimp. Beef like beef. Always wondered WTH oriental flavor was supposed to taste like.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Legume said:

Chicken flavor tastes like chicken. Shrimp like shrimp. Beef like beef. Always wondered WTH oriental flavor was supposed to taste like.

Liberty in the Philippines? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    I hear the "shaved oriental" flavor is smoother.
    Options
    And it's apparently served in a bowl with a crosswise slant
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oyster.

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    teeeheee
    Options
    Did some refrigeration repairs on a blast freezer at an Asian Market in Jax and they had 2 full aisles with a Cray Cray variety of noodles.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I would just boil and add packet.. My favorite flavor being oriental :) It matches my Thai wife..haha

Being real lazy.. NUKE 'EM.
  • cazzy
    Options
    @SGH Standing by and waiting
  • chashans
    Options
    One packet of cooked Ramen Noodles added to one quart of fresh home made vegetable soup is one way that I enjoy it.  You can Google "Ramen Salad" and find a large number of excellent recipes also.  David Chang wrote the book Momofuku. He owns one of those popular restaurants in NY City.  The book is available on Amazon.com and highly recommended.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I practically lived on this stuff in grad school.  I liked to throw in an egg, some vegetables, and some meat if I had it.  

Some of the packaged noodles you can find in Asian food markets are quite a bit better than Ramen.  More spice (hotter) and generally more stuff to mix in with the noodles.  

All pretty high in sodium though, if I recall correctly.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Let's not forget about the ramen burger. 

Now I have to try this!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Legume‌ I will never eat oriental with a straight face again :D
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    We STILL eat ramen. Great quick lunch on the weekend or snack.

I like to throw some frozen peas in as well as a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.

If I have some deli roast beef in the fridge, I'll just dice that up and throw it in at the end.

Great snack. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ramen noodles, 6 for a buck morton pot pies, or free food night at the bars. there was incredible free food 1980's in the bars when the state of mass. ended happy hours, taco nights, prime rib, all you could eat oysters off the raw bar, all for purchasing 1 beer
    :)) with the noodles i whisked in a raw egg when they came to a boil. i have some noodles from the korean grocery store that are very similar i cook with a bouillon when im out of food now. i saw thar aldi's market has a knockoff of ramen, probably half the price
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I keep a case in the closet. You never know.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What!? They need to be cooked? I thought you just sprinkled the flavorings over the block, and ate 'em like crackers.

Did that more than a few times when I didn't even have a hot plate.

Then I over cooked them till they were mush. Better at that now.

There are some really good brands at the oriental mrkt. Both spice and sauce packets, easily enough for 2. But not a dime a pack.

If you want really good ramen, find a restaurant that uses this brand, or if lucky enough, visit a shop that carries them.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Someone should take the seasoning packages and combine a few to make a rub for a but or brisket... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I love Ramen.  I take a block and cut in half.  Place on foil and form a pouch.  Place dried mushrooms, raw shrimp, finely chopped onion, scallions and red pepper flakes on top.  Pour in vegetable broth, mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Close pouch (leaving small vent hole) and put in 350 oven for 15 mins.  

Got this from an old "Good Eats" episode.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Someone should take the seasoning packages and combine a few to make a rub for a but or brisket... 

For bringing it up, I think you should be the one. Let us know how it goes, we'll be expecting a full report on Monday morning. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Legume
    Options
    good suggestions @tarheelmatt and @griffin

tarheelmatt, how about this for your plan

shrimp flavored chicken
    beef flavored shrimp
    chicken flavored steak...

and an oriental flavored wagyu brisket
  • Legume
    Options
    crap, I forgot pork.  how could I forget pork!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Griffin said:

For bringing it up, I think you should be the one. Let us know how it goes, we'll be expecting a full report on Monday morning. ;)

No one to blame for this but myself.... lol  

I was hoping that @SGH would bite though.... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    I love Ramen.  I take a block and cut in half.  Place on foil and form a pouch.  Place dried mushrooms, raw shrimp, finely chopped onion, scallions and red pepper flakes on top.  Pour in vegetable broth, mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Close pouch (leaving small vent hole) and put in 350 oven for 15 mins.  

Got this from an old "Good Eats" episode.  
    i like that, low calorie, quick and easy lunch. i think i need to buy some to put in the rotation
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    One time in college, both our microwaves were broken and we didn't have any clean pots, so I put noodles in our coffee pot and brewed hot water over them a few times. It was horrible...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • cazzy
    Options
    One time in college, both our microwaves were broken and we didn't have any clean pots, so I put noodles in our coffee pot and brewed hot water over them a few times. It was horrible...
    haha.  That's one desperate college kid.  
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    When money was good back in the days, I splurged and got Cup Noodles.   :P

Chicken Picante w/ several splashes of Tabasco.