Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How do/did you cook ramen?

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
Hapster, DMW and I are talking offline and ramen came up.  You know, this stuff:

imageimage

So, how did you prepare it?  I haven't touched the stuff in years, but man, I used to love that stuff.  If you've never had it, go buy someone and interject, but please let's avoid the "I don't eat that crap" posts.  I'm making this thread because I'm quite sure there are a zillion go to methods out there; also because i'm bored and can't find any toilet paper.    :-\"

I would get a square tupperware bowl that is about the size of the ramen.  I'd fill it 3/4 of the way up the ramen and nuke it for 3 minutes.  This would cook the noodles perfectly (slightly soupy) without having to dump any water.  I would then add my seasoning packet and dig in.  I didn't add anything else, but i'm sure some of yall did.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    In a pinch (while in the USN) I'd open the top a lil dump the seasoning and shake. Crunchy but, good. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I bought some sodium bicarbonate I think its called at an Asian store because I have thought about making my own.

Grew up on that stuff... If only we knew about nutrition then, a 2 pack was not unusual for me per sitting.
    My mom also would drain the water from the noodles no seasoning and make a butter pancake almost of fried noodles.
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That beard pic makes me miss mine.

This was about 15 years ago in Old Tibet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Lived on the stuff in college when I couldn't afford the $0.49 Totino's Frozen Pizzas.  I still keep a supply, it's like a later-life comfort food for me, often throw 4 or 5 frozen shrimp in the last minute of cooking, for some protein.
    I think it was Alton Brown who demo'd a more upscale version: plop the unbroken square into the center of a square of aluminum foil, pile high with meat, veggies, herbs, etc, then pull up the foil edges into a tent with an opening on the top, then pour in a small amount of water or broth (can't remember the amount, less than what you'd use for soup).  Bake in oven for 20 minutes or so.  Yum!  

Finally, don't think that Ramen is poverty food.  There's a fantastic Korean restaurant just south of where I work, I eat there for lunch about once a week.  Their "Ramyun" bowl uses what looks like the packaged ramen noodles, in a heavenly broth with chiles that curl your nosehair, veggies floating throughout and a half-cooked egg simmering in the middle.  Damn that's good!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Boil noodles then strain. Pour seasoning on then 2 eggs over easy on top. Good stuff.

note. My Jamaican room mate in college always ate the shrimp ramen. Do not eat shrimp ramen. It smells gross.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This post is too funny- I'm in NYC this week and ramen has been one of the hottest new restaurant trends for the last couple years. I have been to some really great spots over the last couple years that rival what I can get in japan.

This isn't a broke college kid's food anymore- I paid over $20 for a bowl for lunch :).
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ ya dirty effing egging hippie. I knew I liked you bro \m/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Oh, and a technique for cooking one of the envelopes: I always poke a hole in one corner of the package to let the air out, and then beat the package with my fist to break up the cake of noodles; makes it much easier to eat with a spoon.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Yeah that's good stuff. I still like it! Boil in water, add seasoning packet, chop up and throw in some leftover meat from the fridge, drain most of the water, and add srirachi sauce. It's about the only thing I use srirachi for.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Friend of mine who's was a sous chef at Commander's palace, ended up owning and head chef at Dante's Kitchen had this idea for a noodle and pie joint in NOLA.  He pitched it to me about a year before it opened.  I kinda thought he was nuts but it's doing well...I've eaten there a couple of times.

http://noodleandpie.com/

"Eman" Loubier

Pvt strickland ate many many cases of creamy chicken ramen. I used a large Pyrex measuring cup with handle. Cook for 3:33 and add a can of tuna at the end.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Wolfpack said:
    This post is too funny- I'm in NYC this week and ramen has been one of the hottest new restaurant trends for the last couple years. I have been to some really great spots over the last couple years that rival what I can get in japan. This isn't a broke college kid's food anymore- I paid over $20 for a bowl for lunch :).
    My buddy saw it coming.  Yeah, you right.

And the noodles are made from (traditionally) a really "hard" water from Japan - has a super high calcium carbonate and mineral content.  This can be made, but it keeps the noodles firm and gives them the texture/taste that's totally unlike the top ramen crap we ate as starving college kids.
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Two kinds that I know about, rice or wheat. The rice is preferred, boiling water over the noodles - let them sit for up to 10 minutes, drain, throw in a stir fry. Almost impossible to screw up vs a true rice noodle which can be easily overcooked. 
    The wheat ones are not so easy for me - find they are either undercooked or overcooked and often seem to have too much salt. 

The savoury spice sauce packet goes straight into the garbage can, I would rather eat a desiccant package out of @cazzy camera bag. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

Pvt strickland ate many many cases of creamy chicken ramen. I used a large Pyrex measuring cup with handle. Cook for 3:33 and add a can of tuna at the end.

I am so trying this :)
  • nolaegghead
    Options

hapster said:
    I heard there was a severe ramen/tuna shortage in Colorado. ;)
    Options

hapster said:

I heard there was a severe ramen/tuna shortage in Colorado. ;)

Luckily there is no such trouble in PA
  • cazzy
    Options
  • stevesails
    Options
    I make a Cole slaw. Vinegar based with it. Will post recipe when I get back from Chicago. Staying at hotel with weber in lobby.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Set-up Excitation cooking 2-3 minutes on HIGH uncovered in a Rapid Ramon container with 73G of tap water
    :))

imageimageimageimageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Always the last week of the month in college when I was almost out of $ and had to make the beer or food decision. Beer always won, so I would get ramen and throw in with some boiled veg - potato, onion, brussels sprout, etc.

...and some Tabasco
  • cazzy
    Options
    @SGH Can you please demonstrate how to cook ramen in your vertical...with hooks.  Thank you!    :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I will sure give it a shot tomorrow. Stand by my friends.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @cazzy you actually might be on to something. A smoked pork and smoked ramen soup would be amazing-

@sgh I think this would actually be a challenge worth your talents. I am very interested in the results. If you haven't had highend ramen you don't know what you are missing.
    Greensboro, NC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ thank you for detailing that cook. Nice plating.

@stevesails‌ a few blocks from you is a place called slurping turtle. Awesome food including ramen soups.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    I'm actually going to give this a shot. I'm looking at the vertical now trying to figure out a good way to hang the noodles. I'm thinking about jetnet and the hooks.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @cazzy you actually might be on to something. A smoked pork and smoked ramen soup would be amazing- @sgh I think this would actually be a challenge worth your talents. I am very interested in the results. If you haven't had highend ramen you don't know what you are missing.
    Damn, and I just used the rest of my PP for flautas.  NOM NOM though
  • cazzy
    Options
    Set-up Excitation cooking 2-3 minutes on HIGH uncovered in a Rapid Ramon container with 73G of tap water :)) imageimageimageimageimage
    Awesome...a true live demonstration!  Thanks for playing husk!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

@Wolfpack‌
    I'm actually going to give this a shot. I'm looking at the vertical now trying to figure out a good way to hang the noodles. I'm thinking about jetnet and the hooks.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014