Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood and Ozark Oak Lump Users

I have read that these two lumps produce exceptional cooks because they are relatively neutral when it comes to any odor.  If this is true, do you add any wood chunks to your cooks?  Thanks for your input.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Never tried Rockwood yet, but have used OO many times especially for baking where I want no smoke taste. With that said why buy lump that is neutral and then add wood?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    edited September 2014
    Absolutely. With Rockwood, I do not see any VOCs so I will put my cook on as the BGE is coming to temp. Smoke from chips starts as soon as I light the lump so I figure why not?

Playing with all kinds of different woods (apricot, peach, cherry, hickory, blends). I also do many a cook without any wood.
  • I tried the Rockwood about a year ago and will never go back to anything else.  Does not matter if you are doing a low and slow or a quick cook at nuclear temps, it's absolutely the best.  I especially like the neutral flavor.  Allows the cook to use whatever wood chips for flavor that you want without competing with the lump.  Give you so much flexibility in recipies and smoke.  If you have the chance, give it a try!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I find both Rockwood and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior to be more "smoke neutral" than Ozark Oak.  That said, I prefer the smoke neutral lump to enable smoke wood profiling as mentioned by @Mkadilla above.  To each his/her own.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It depends on what I am cooking, I add wood for low and slow cooks but usually do not add wood for grilling Steaks, Burgers, pork chops etc. I do add cherry and pecan for my direct spatchcock chickens though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap said:
    I find both Rockwood and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior to be more "smoke neutral" than Ozark Oak.  That said, I prefer the smoke neutral lump to enable smoke wood profiling as mentioned by @Mkadilla above.  To each his/her own.  FWIW-
    This is my experience too. A local Ace just started carrying WGWW and I really like it. I usually do an order from Firecraft for 80lbs of Rockwood and 20Lbs of OO, but will be mixing in the WGWW as well. The lump lasts a looong time, imo.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I just checked and Firecraft does not carry WGWW.  FYI- (wish they did.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I have been using BGE lump and bought some OO and RW, I haven't tried the RW yet, but the OO even though is less smokey flavor compared to RW it gives a sweetness to the smoke flavor. 
    Danville, Il
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    I like both but prefer Ozark Oak. The Rockwood is very neutral with smoke and the Ozark slightly smokier but compared to stuff like BGE both will be very neutral in comparison. As far as adding wood it depends if I'm after some smokey additional flavor. I do add wood in various types and quantities depending on what I am after. Thats the beauty of the neutral fuel, add wood to taste.
    Jacksonville FL
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I like RW because it's easy to light, burns with little ash, burns with good heat and is pretty neutral for smoke. I do add oak, cherry, apple or peach depending on what I'm cooking. My girls prefer burgers and such that taste grilled but not smoked.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I love royal oak. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I used RO for about a year before I learned better. I switched to RW and will never look back. It lights fairly easily, produces little ash, but most importantly to me, does not have any VOCs. As long as RW keeps up the quality, I will never change lump. Love it.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I just tried both Rockwood and OO and was really impressed with both. Much cleaner burning, more neutral, and less ash vs. RO. Yes I do add wood - Hickory, Maple, Pecan and Cherry depending on the cook and mood.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• OO is next on my list.  Currently using RW and I love that I can control the flavor of the smoke with various chunks.  Boston Butt with pecan is my favorite.  I don't have to fight the smell of some lumps (RO....) and wind up overpowering the meat with smokewood.

Been using pecan, apple, whiskey barrel chunks (family distillery), cherry, some hickory, and maple depending on the protein on the grid.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Yep. Rockwood and Ozark Oak is all I use now. I definitely notice a much cleaner more neutral smoke flavor then when I used BGE lump, Royal Oak and some mesquite lumps.
    I love it especially when I do cooks that I don't want too smokey of a flavor. Such as cobblers and pizzas.
    When I want smoke I use some pecan chips or chunks.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Rockwood definitely is less smokey than Royal Oak.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052

OO is next on my list.  Currently using RW and I love that I can control the flavor of the smoke with various chunks.  Boston Butt with pecan is my favorite.  I don't have to fight the smell of some lumps (RO....) and wind up overpowering the meat with smokewood.

Been using pecan, apple, whiskey barrel chunks (family distillery), cherry, some hickory, and maple depending on the protein on the grid.
    What would you cook if you are using maple?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude said:

OO is next on my list.  Currently using RW and I love that I can control the flavor of the smoke with various chunks.  Boston Butt with pecan is my favorite.  I don't have to fight the smell of some lumps (RO....) and wind up overpowering the meat with smokewood.

What would you cook if you are using maple?
    I use maple on pork butts. Maple is great stuff.
  • Maple is great on pork loins as well.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    All I use now is RO, but I wouldn't say it's completely neutral. There is a little lite smoke flavor so when you add other woods the lump doesn't overpower it. Sometimes I don't add any wood and food still taste great. Haven't baked or done pizza yet, but its coming.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052

All I use now is RO, but I wouldn't say it's completely neutral. There is a little lite smoke flavor so when you add other woods the lump doesn't overpower it. Sometimes I don't add any wood and food still taste great. Haven't baked or done pizza yet, but its coming.

By RO, you mean Royal Oak, correct?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I use RW and chunks. I vary the wood and number of chunks based upon the food and how smokey (or not) I want it.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    QDude said:

By RO, you mean Royal Oak, correct?
    I Ment RW, sorry about that. I like Royal Oak if I am smoking meat and I can't get anything else. I would like to try OO.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Just picked up a bag of RW. Can't wait to try it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset