Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on New 3rd (Baking) Egg

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a demo Egg from my dealer's latest cooking event, which I plan to use as a dedicated Baking Egg for making baked goods and desserts. The only wood this Egg will never see will be WGWW lump charcoal, no chips or chunks. After I got the Egg home and set up I wanted to bake something that was new and different from anything I had made on my Egg. There are several farms in my area that started featuring peaches which are at their peak right now. So I decided on a King Arthur Flour recipe for Tender Peach Scones. I have a Nordicware scone pan which has thick aluminum walls that give the scones nice evenly baked sides and bottom. I have never made scones on the Egg before. The other thing that was a first for me was this was my first raised indirect cook. I used the AR and the Rig Extender to put the scone pan high up in the dome. This put the pan close enough to the dome thermometer I felt safe using the dome thermometer. The other pleasant surprise is the scones baked so evenly there was no need to rotate the pans 180 degrees to even out the cooking and deal with any hot spots. There seemed to be zero hot spots.

The new Egg is set up under my grill gazebo and I have the AR in with the oval pizza stone and Rig Extender in. This puts the 13" D-shelf 7 1/2"  (19 cm) above the fire ring.

While I was pre-heating and stabilizing the Egg at 375 F (190 C) , I made the scone batter which used plenty or fresh ripe peach chunks.

One of the things I like about having all three Eggs be the same size is all my Eggcessories can be shared. Also the Eggs perform the same and it doesn't matter which one I fire up. all three perform the same. I like not having to think when I've got a bunch of things cooking. Proof of this was I was easily able to hit and lock in this large Egg to 375 (190 C) even though this was my first time using it.

The scones cooked in the 25 minutes called for in the recipe and baked so evenly I didn't have to rotate the pan at the midpoint to even the baking out. It seemed perfectly even.

The scones looked good from every angle and tasted even better.

I must admit to feeling like a little kid at Christmas time. I also want to pinch myself every time I look out my Kitchen windows. For now the new Egg is using the Nest  & Shelves left over from my 1st Egg. There will be another run of cabinets arriving in the next few months.

It amazed me a bit, but I was just as Eggcited setting up and using this third Egg as I was my first. This is a good sign for lots of great fun and great food to come. This was a really fun day for me, thanks for sharing it with me.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments