Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

while the fight tonight was on...here's our kick butt salmon!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
This half pound piece was my wife's and my pieces had shadows, but I think you can get the drift. Salmon on the egg at 300, raised grate, direct for 15/10/2/2 using DP Raging River rub and the the last 2/2 basting with melted mixture of 2 T butter & 3 T maple syrup. My home made hash browns plus slices of pineapple on the side ROCKED! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice to see someone cooking. Looks good. Our 4 yo grand daughter got to pick dinner tonight, and while she usually chooses 'Egg meat' tonight was chicken nuggets. I worked late and couldn't cook anyway, so it worked for me.
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great @RRP

@Tjcoley Hey I cooked   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Love salmon off of the egg.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Heck ya Ron! That's some good eating Sir.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I wanted to do something like that too during my first cook pics but the wife isn't to keen on something 'sweet' being on her fish, so I just smoked it..

Yours looks good even to someone who doesn't eat salmon (me).
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Looks great @RRP

@cazzy Yeah, I saw that. I didn't comment because I'm not a fan of Mexican (the food, let's not start again). The pics looked great as usual.
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    cazzy said:
    Looks great @RRP

@cazzy Yeah, I saw that. I didn't comment because I'm not a fan of Mexican (the food, let's not start again). The pics looked great as usual.

X_X
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    Ron did you start the salmon skin side down for the first 15 mins?
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Yum!!!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    We love salmon on the egg with Raging River. I cook 400 raised direct for 14-15 min. Comes out great every time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

cazzy said:

Looks great @RRP

Me either. My wife could eat that stuff everyday though. It's the last cuisine I'd go far. I lean more towards Asian food if I'm not having bbq.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks sooo good. I made a maple/butter sauce for the salmon I did last week, but ended up laying lemon slices on the salmon instead. I have the sauce in the fridge for next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    No - count me in the camp that @NatureBoy taught to remove the skin first. Using a sharp fillet knife and a little practice you learn how to carefully remove it losing very little meat. The real advantage is that reveals the blood line that runs down the outside of salmon. When left in place during the cook that is what can give salmon the unpleasant sometimes wild & bitter taste. Using the knife then I remove the vein leaving a shallow valley. People who say they don't like salmon will change their opinion!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    No - count me in the camp that @NatureBoy taught to remove the skin first. Using a sharp fillet knife and a little practice you learn how to carefully remove it losing very little meat. The real advantage is that reveals the blood line that runs down the outside of salmon. When left in place during the cook that is what can give salmon the unpleasant sometimes wild & bitter taste. Using the knife then I remove the vein leaving a shallow valley. People who say they don't like salmon will change their opinion!

Remove the skin?!!! NEVER! CI pan, skin side up for a couple of minutes to give the other side some color. Then, skin down for the duration. EAT the skin! Kenji did a serious eats article on the advantages of skin down cooking. I've been doing mine his way (mostly) and have had only excellent results since. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Searat
    Options
    RRP thanks for a simple basting mix. Even I can do that.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Looks fantastic!!!  Love the idea of basting the salmon in butter and syrup.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I did Salmon twice last week the same way and its phenomenal!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Wow, that looks excellent!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Does anyone brine their salmon? I do and my family loves it. A simple brine of 8 cups water, 4 table spoons kosher salt. Brine for 15-20 minutes and it comes out great. Dry after that and sprinkle a little raging river on it and cook at 400, raised direct for 14-15 minutes and dinner is served!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Does anyone brine their salmon? I do and my family loves it. A simple brine of 8 cups water, 4 table spoons kosher salt. Brine for 15-20 minutes and it comes out great. Dry after that and sprinkle a little raging river on it and cook at 400, raised direct for 14-15 minutes and dinner is served!

That's interesting. I'm really surprise that the brine permeates that fish in just 15 to 20 minutes. You didn't say do you rinse the fish then before drying? I'd think there still could be some superficial salt as I know that happens to me with poultry if I don't rinse well.