Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max

Options

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Options
    I'd just bend the metal a bit and make it fit.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Nope, no screen for ember protection. I should just unscrew it and bend it to fit, but, I don't want to void the Warranty in case I mess it up or something.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Gogogordy
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    @Lit‌, I picked up a KJ jr @ Costco and noticed the bottom vent doesn't close all the way. The door slides stops on flush to the ceramic, but the metal where it stops have a little piece sticking out making a leak. Is your like this? I called KJ and sent them the picture, so far no response...

I could remedy that in less time than it takes to call them up.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA‌ just looked mine is not like that.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My bge had an funky little.door I had.to bend it outward so it would close all the way , the doors bend see if you can manipulate it to get an clean close.

Seattle, WA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    The lack of a screen seems a bit odd, I really like the look of the Jr, I bet I end up getting one due to the difference in price and all the included stuff. I have seen a couple and it looks like a perfect size to have along with my lbge. My main reason for wanting a joe jr is that I am usually only cooking for two and the large uses a fair bit of lump. We have a place in Florida and I bought an Akorn jr for when we are there, I was thrilled with how well it works and the Joe jr (with included accessories) looks sooo much better! Btw---- red or black?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA‌ It looks to me that you could probably just take a small block of wood and tap the piece on the left in slightly so the door will slide past it. Maybe I am missing something from that pick though.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im going to wait it out for the Mini Max II, when they put in the needed larger lower vent
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    im going to wait it out for the Mini Max II, when they put in the needed larger lower vent
    :D

The new, improved MM II may actually materialize before the MM :))
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌ I can close the door if I push the upper part of the door from the inside. There's very little space between the metal corner and the ceramic behind it. So hitting it with a piece of wood could crack it.

I'm thinking of taking the door off and bending it instead. As long as that doesn't invalid the warranty...

in Smyrna GA.

• Gogogordy
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    @GeorgeS‌ I can close the door if I push the upper part of the door from the inside. There's very little space between the metal corner and the ceramic behind it. So hitting it with a piece of wood could crack it. I'm thinking of taking the door off and bending it instead. As long as that doesn't invalid the warranty...

Cant you take say the end of a desk ruler or yardstick and use it to push on the back-piece (the one between the door and the ceramic where it sticks out and blocks the sliding action of the door? Thats what it looks like the problem is....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Nope, no screen for ember protection. I should just unscrew it and bend it to fit, but, I don't want to void the Warranty in case I mess it up or something.
    I have tweaked the lower vent on every ceramic grill I have owned. Never had any issues making them fit better. You should not have to remove anything but it might make it easier. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Fixed. Took the door off and bent it a few times. Figure it was easier making the door fit the frame instead of fixing the frame. Test firing it later today....

in Smyrna GA.

• BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    My understanding is ember protection screen will no longer be available on the KJ products until they figure out a way to make one without violating the patent BGE owns on this. I personally think it will be worth the wait for the Mini-Max over a Jr.
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    @BigGreenPackerFan‌ I don't believe that. The vision grills have that ember screen too, right?

in Smyrna GA.

• Lit
    Options
    @BigGreenPackerFan‌ the KJ does not have the same screen design as the egg on their larger models they have an ash box that slides into the bottom vent with a screen that covers the hole in the fire box to stop ash. You can remove the ash box and screen on the KJs. The guy at the Costco roadshow said they are looking at a screen for the junior.
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    @Lit I heard this from a KJ dealer. He said all the new models would no longer have the screen. The website does show the new removable ash box for 2014 models. Not sure if the screen is there or not.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If they are selling the Mini at $400 and the Small at $560 or what ever it is, then the Mini Max has got to be somewhere around $500 to $600. I hate to say it, but the KJ Jr is a better deal except where I live. The only dealer here I know over charges for everything and is an hour away. If I buy another egg it would be small or medium.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Just went to the mothership. I heard "hopefully December". 

On the bright side - I finally got to see the XXL and pick up a few freebies.

WOW that thing is huge!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    December?????????????
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks like it's going to be a Small Egg for me in the near future then.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fence0407
    Options
    grege345 said:
    December?????????????
    Correct - that's what I was told. Who knows though. They didn't really seem to have any idea. I quote, "I'm waiting just as anxiously as you are".
    Cumming, GA  

• Lit
    Options
    @BigGreenPackerFan‌ they had the ash box with the screen in them at the KJ roadshow at Costco by me last weekend. Its a pretty cool design the screen covers the opening in the firebox not the bottom vent. I should have taken a picture.
  • fence0407
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Looks like it's going to be a Small Egg for me in the near future then.
    Now I can't decide between small or mini. 
    Cumming, GA  

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    FWIW I wouldn't trade my small for two of the mini-max

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    Having a medium egg it makes the decisions quite simple for me, just get a mini if I want anything smaller or an xl when I need to go bigger.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• fence0407
    Options
    Having a medium egg it makes the decisions quite simple for me, just get a mini if I want anything smaller or an xl when I need to go bigger.
    Guess I could say the same having a large egg now. I always could get the XXL or the small!
    Cumming, GA  

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    BGE should have started a Kickstart program for this little unicorn project they are working on.  They could have pre sold thousands of them by now 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    @BigGreenPackerFan‌ I don't believe that. The vision grills have that ember screen too, right?
    the vision screen on my kub is graduated with numbered marking for temp control, bet thats how they get around it, its tiny perforated openings are for temp control when opening the vent cover
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    My wish is that the folks @ BGE would go out on their own 'Roadshow' ... take names and kick some A**
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.