Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo2 or Tiered Rack??

Options
2»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You can use regular bricks. Just wrap them in foil. Fwiw I got my fire bricks at a stove and fireplace shop
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    FWIW, this is what I use.  I like it so far.  

Like $30 off Amazon. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - I have seen those before. According to your picture, it looks like you are using your plate setter to get up that high. What I am looking for is to get at least at felt line 'without' using my plate setter so I can go direct.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    @tarheelmatt - I have seen those before. According to your picture, it looks like you are using your plate setter to get up that high. What I am looking for is to get at least at felt line 'without' using my plate setter so I can go direct.

The Woo will get you to the felt line and can be used with or without a plate setter.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    I would think if you removed the plate setter, grate on fire ring and this adder, would get you near felt line, but with smaller area.  I use fire bricks to get me to felt line.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Here is a picture... 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hankyorke
    Options
    3 - 4.5" stainless bolts
    I use 4 - 4" stainless carriage bolts for the second level (17" weber charcoal grid)

LBGE

BTFU!

• Caymanite
    Options
    I was contemplating the same issue as the original poster. I plan on ordering the Woo2 as I love the feature of it having handles that I can pick up the entire unit, including my plate setter, and have full access to the coals/wood. I know they are also working on a Woo2 grid extender that will add another level of cooking space. I don't cook for a lot of people so the Woo2 is much cheaper than the AR and fits my needs. I look at the swing grate but you can't cook at the felt line on the full grate, just the smaller upper grate and I didn't want to spend $150 on it and still have to elevate it with bricks...seems silly.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Since the BGE is pretty close by, I am going to give them a call to see what the best options are for getting raised direct that they may have to offer. Closest thing I saw was a 1/2 fire ring that could be used to stack on top of the other. She said her friend has a rig from BGE that he uses and is compatible with the plate setter.. so we shall see.

SWMBO prefers to with BGE products for the Egg..
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    My platesetter has collected dust since buying the AR R&B Combo with rig extender. Yeah, it costs some money but it also gives you many more cooking options; some that you have not even thought about yet. I'd sell my platesetter if I had a local buyer.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @Terrebandit - I don't disagree for sure. The problem I am running into is convincing the queen that after spending the money she did just a few weeks ago (she won't say but I can guess) on a Large BGE, Egg Cover, EggMates, Plate Setter, Grill Grip, Ash tool, 20lb bag of BGE lump, and a box of fire starter blocks just for my birthday... I am looking at Christmas gifts at best..   
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    @Zarcon‌ I understand. I bought mine 1.5 years after getting the egg. That provided me some cover for the extra expense. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    @Zarcon - I was in the same boat as you, My SWMBO bought me large setup for Christmas 2 years ago and I wanted all these accessories too but couldn't justify the cost in her mind. So I bought her a diamond ring from Jared last Christmas and now she don't care what I buy for the egg.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Zarcon
    Options
    @bu_mull - Funny you bring that up. We just celebrated our 10yr Anniversary in June and I gave her a diamond ring.. I think her way of giving something back in return was the Egg..Even though I got a deep sea fishing trip out of it too.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    I have a Large.. where can I find this AR, which I'm assuming is adjustable rack?

on the large, with the adjustable rig, spider, round separator stone, slide guides, oval grill grates and the rig extender, you're spending more money but you have a BUNCH of options- I can actually fit FOUR picnic end pork shoulders on my Large BGE and cook them for 18 hours, use minimal fuel and achieve near perfection.  See picture

you could do two brisket flats or smaller whole ones, you could make pizza high up in the dome on top of the rig extender or do as many as three levels of ribs, sausages or smoked burgers.

heck, I think you could do three levels (for a total of six birds) of spatch chickens or two levels of spatch turkeys.   in the next week or so I will be smoking three levels of mountain stream rainbow trout (I think i'll be making 12 whole fish) using the three level setup.  Really looking forward to that.

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    This brings up an interesting point... how "raised" is raised direct?
    My vote is "raised" just means above the felt line.
    Is that the general opinion?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • westernbbq
    Options

raised to me is anything above felt line

Ceramic Grill Store is where I get the extra goodies for the Big Green Egg

I am pretty sure the web address is www.ceramicgrillstore.com

there are youtube videos of Tom doing some cookingon it

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I own a Swing Rack from CGW ... I don't especially care for it. I'm looking to possibly sell it and buy an AR.
    Sending a PM...  :D
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have the swing rack.  Although adjustable, I don't ever adjust.  I do like it very much and highly recommend.  Simple and easy to use
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    I have a Large.. where can I find this AR, which I'm assuming is adjustable rack?

on the large, with the adjustable rig, spider, round separator stone, slide guides, oval grill grates and the rig extender, you're spending more money but you have a BUNCH of options- I can actually fit FOUR picnic end pork shoulders on my Large BGE and cook them for 18 hours, use minimal fuel and achieve near perfection.  See picture

You may have just sold me on one with that picture!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Platesetter woo is 46 bucks. I'd start with that if I were you. Thats what I did and have been pleased. I even bought another one today and having it shipped to a friend of mine. He's been saying he's gonna get one and never has. I'm gonna surprise him and it should show up outa the blue on his doorstop about monday. At least with that you can get it cheap and use the platesetter for your honey for a while then step up to the AR for Christmas or something.

Little Rock, AR

• Zarcon
    Options
    @biggreenpharmacist - Yeah, that's what I am thinking. It's the most economical way (outside of bricks) to accomplish what I am looking for. From there, I can ask for the more expensive stuff later :)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Zarcon I really like mine. I got the PSWoo Cast Iron. The regular grid will fit it but if you end up wanting a cast iron grid it won't fit the plain PS woo, so you might opt for that? I think I posted pics of mine here but if not and you wanna see my setup let me know and I can post them again. Or take more detailed ones if you want.

Little Rock, AR

• westernbbq
    Options

Kiter-

I would never have believed it until I saw it.  a buddy told me four shoulders in a LG was easy with the spider, stone, adj rig and rig extender setup with minimal advance planning. plus, the LG BGE uses much less fuel than XL

I got the same setup for the XL-(see attached pic) but no rig extender for XL exists so I have two levels in the XL with the spider, stone, adj rig and two oval racks- I recently did two levels of 17 lb each  whole packer briskets and the results were better than I thought they'd be and I had high expectations.  I think four shoulders on each level (yes, they'd be jammed in there) would work because the basement level can be lowered an inch or so and if you pinch aluminum catch pans so theye squeeze down a little but would work- but I 've not had a need to do 8 shoulders yet. I probably will at some point though this football season!

It just cannot be emphasized enough how convenient and easy it is to set the BGE up with fuel, a guru and the meat and then you can leave it alone overnight.  you're not babysitting the food and fire and sucking in soot all night on a long time cook so you can actually enjoy the food when it's done.  I previously had  a pitts and spits 24x36 smoker which is an awesome cooker bit got rid of it a few months after I got the XL BGE because I simply didn't use it anymore.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    36 should be for a box. You can also try an Ace hardware or local fireplace store. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Zarcon
    Options
    OK, although I got some really great ideas that I will probably incorporate into 'other' gift ideas, I decided to go ahead and purchase the Woo2 for my LBGE. -- Woo Hoo (pun intended)

I will let ya'll know how it turns out.