Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt w/ SC Style BBQ Sauce / Smoked Baked Beans / Jalapeno Slaw

Options
Dillonjm
Dillonjm Posts: 229
I finally got the courage to try my first Pork Butt on any grill. I bought a nice 9lb Bone in Pork Butt from the grocery store. I was a little nervous though since it was off and on with light showers. I McGuyver'd a wire coat hanger and some tin foil to serve as a vent cap. I decided to use the turbo method, indirect since I am still learning to keep steady temperatures. I lathered the butt up with some yellow mustard and then applied a liberal dosing of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and Dizzy Dust. I got the fire going and added some apple wood chips and a few chunks for some light smoke. I tried to get it stable at 350 but it was between 350-390 most of the time. After about 4 hours, it reached 175 and looked/smelled good. I wrapped the butt in some foil, added a cup of apple cider vinegar over the top before the wrap and then put it back on until it reached 195. I took it off, left it in the foil and wrapped in some towels.

While the Butt was doing it's thing, I made some South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce. Basically, just minced onion, minced garlic, yellow mustard, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce in the Ninja until smooth. Added salt and pepper to taste. It came out pretty good and tasted great on the pulled pork.

I also diced up some jalapenos and combined with some milk, mayo, apple cider vinegar, cayenne peppers, sugar and salt together and served over shredded cabbage and carrots.

I borrowed from someone on the site for the baked beans. I browned some bacon in a pot on the stove, removed the bacon and added diced onions, mushrooms, yellow and orange peppers to soften. I dont have a CI dutch over yet, so I used a large tin pan. I added some Bush's baked beans, kidney and pinto beans, ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, bloody mary mix, 3 shots of bourbon, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar. When I pulled the butt, I added some mesquite chunks and chips to the BGE and put the beans on. I smoked them for 2 and 1/2 half hours at 300. They came out pretty good.

I unwrapped the butt and it was very juicey and ready to go. I was to pull the bone right off, pretty cool. I ripped it apart with my new BGE Wolverine Claws, added the dripping from the catch pan foil. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal.

Backyard BBQ Dude
1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA

Comments