Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Review: BBQ Dragon

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have long been looking to purchase an eggcelerator or whatever BGE calls it but I changed my mind after seeing the price tag at my dealer in Canada (179$) and at another dealer in the US (149$). I don't mind paying the price for something that I need when it is a high quality piece of hardware but this was way too much for something that I did not really need and that I would just be using from time to time. I have been know to pay for things that I did not really need but I just could not see the value... Sometime last year, someone posted a link to the BBQ Dragon kickstarter project. It was interesting and the price was better than the eggcelerator but there was no option to ship to Canada and I did not bother sending an email to inquire about it... A few weeks ago, my dealer sent a promo newsletter and it featured the BBQ Dragon. My dealer usually carries only good quality items so I kinda decided I would purchase it next time I go. During a business trip a few weeks ago, I was bored and decided to lookup a few things on amazon. The BBQ Dragon was listed in the items that may be of interest to me (they are god). Impulse buy, 60$ later and here I am today testing this new gadget. So far, I am satisfied. I was able to bring the egg at 350F in just under 5 minutes after igniting one piece of charcoal with a butane torch for 15 seconds. 400F in about 6 minutes and 700+F in about 8 minutes. This was with leftover charcoal from a previous cook. I will do more testing this weekend with new charcoal to see if I can achieve the same result and get clear smoke in the same timeframe as I did with used charcoal. If it works, I foresee a lot more weeknight cooking on the egg.

The device seems sturdy but only time will tell if it will survive operating next to the BGE. This is a simple fan with the electronics to recharge optional rechargeable batteries using a micro usb charger so it should last for a while. It can also be used with plain alkaline batteries.

I was able to attach the clip to the nest and also backward on the handle. It is a perfect fit on the handle and it does not look like it could fall but I was still nervous. Some kind of safety chain would be nice but there are no holes in the clip that could be used for that.

I'll report back this weekend after testing with new charcoal. Right now, the egg is roaring and I'm using the leftover charcoal to do a clean burn.

Comments

• paqman
    More pics

imageimageimageimage

The ability to quickly come to temp for weekday meals might sell me. Be interested to hear your impression after more cooks...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I snagged one for cheap on a discount site we mostly use for kids stuff(zulily). It's great. Brings the egg to temp very quickly and I love it for quick sears without having to heat up the whole egg(dome up cooks). The temp zooms from 250-750 in a minute or two.

It does exactly what I wanted for easy weeknight cooks.
  • The outtake on my shop vac works like a charm too and it's a multitasker. :D
    Jax, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    SidZer0 said:

The outtake on my shop vac works like a charm too and it's a multitasker. :D

Is it adjustable?
  • Sure, just move it closer to or further away from the draft door.
    Jax, FL
  • I might have to get this. It would be nice to get to temp quickly, especially after a long 12 hour work day.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I'very seen on YouTube where guy got his fire going then stuck a 4"x12" vent pipe on the top vent and the egg came up to 700° in 5 minutes. I bet that's one $10. I may try it or a hair dryer first.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • paqman
    SidZer0 said:

@SidZer0‌ - Glad your shop vac works for you but I personally don't store mine on my deck and it does not fit in a drawer. I hear other people are using leaf blowers and other tools but unless you find a way to attach it so it works unmonitored, it would be of little use to me. Also, as @Eggcelsior‌ pointed out, the airflow is just right an adjustable.

@Ladeback69‌ - The air dryer would work for sure but you need to find a way to attach it or stay there the whole time which defeats the purpose of saving time...

@Dillonjm‌ - I have yet to test with fresh lump but so far, it looks promising.

NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    SidZer0 said:

Sure, just move it closer to or further away from the draft door.

:)) :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks for the review- I think I will end up with one of these.  Currently I use the top from a plastic bin that I keep lump in to fan the flames.  My forearms are getting tired.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    edited September 2014
    paqman said:
    @SidZer0‌ - Glad your shop vac works for you but I personally don't store mine on my deck and it does not fit in a drawer. I hear other people are using leaf blowers and other tools but unless you find a way to attach it so it works unmonitored, it would be of little use to me. Also, as @Eggcelsior‌ pointed out, the airflow is just right an adjustable.
    I don't store my shop vac on my pool deck or underneath my table either but I do clean my egg with it before every use so it's very convenient for me to use it to stoke the fire when needed.  As far as monitoring goes, I always stay close when bringing the egg up to temp...easier to catch on the way up then try to bring it down if you "blow" past your mark.  Also safety wise...forcefully blowing air into an active flame regardless of what you use is not really something I'd want to do unmonitored.  I don't have any issues with your new toy other than I wouldn't spend $50 on another accessory that's job can be accomplished with a similarly priced alternative that I already own and that can be used for many other things.
    Jax, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    SidZer0 said:
    paqman said:
    I don't store my shop vac on my pool deck or underneath my table either but I do clean my egg with it before every use so it's very convenient for me to use it to stoke the fire when needed.  As far as monitoring goes, I always stay close when bringing the egg up to temp...easier to catch on the way up then try to bring it down if you "blow" past your mark.  Also safety wise...forcefully blowing air into an active flame regardless of what you use is not really something I'd want to do unmonitored.  I don't have any issues with your new toy other than I wouldn't spend $50 on another accessory that's job can be accomplished with a similarly priced alternative that I already own and that can be used for many other things.
    It's not that forceful at lower speeds, which is what I use for heating it up. I grabbed mine for 30 or so bucks. My shop vac was considerably more than that. I see what you are saying, but many people don't clean the egg out before each use. Neither option is wrong if it works for you. The biggest feature for me is portability. I can take the BBQ dragon wherever I go(my parent's house, the beach house, local park) and just hook it to the leg of any grill present(XL, mini, Weber kettle). 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think this is the video:

@McStew that table looks awesome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    I use it all the time when the other half says it takes to long for you to get things ready its great.  No more questions asked a happy wife is a happy life.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Understand the concept - I guess I have the time to get the egg going so never really interested me. Did you consider a stoker? Kinda like the way an AR has more flexibility than a setter, would it be wise to put the money towards a stoker? 

Thanks for sharing your review. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I read that it eats batteries. What do you think?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    jlsm said:
    I read that it eats batteries. What do you think?
    I'm still on the first set after about 10 or 11 uses. I'd say 2 hours total averaging 50% power.
  • McStew
    @SmokeyPitt Thanks it took about 8 months to build and has been well worth the time 

@Skiddymarker I have a Stoker as well in the beginning of the clip you can see the holder mounted under the table I use this for low and slow only 

@jlsm it has a built in charger so I don't worry about batteries 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Ok. That's pretty damn cool @McStew‌
    Nice handle (did you make it or order it?)
    I don't have the dragon but, have used the stoker blower to get ragging before...same principle I spect (but, typically I would only break out the Stoker for a L&S. Nice demo video.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • McStew
    @NPHFL  Danny makes some great stuff dannyscarvings.blogspot.com 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Thanks for the link @McStew‌ seems like I had seen his work on other handles as well. Appreciate it man.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • What a great idea ... I think this is a cool accessory .. I've been using a hair blower with a stand and I spent almost $25 for both of them ... didn't know this existed then. Thanks OP for posting this!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    edited September 2014
    A good and effective tool-

Where it really shines is when you have been doing low and slow for 6-7+ and then want to get from 250-400+ to finish off veggies or whatever.  

I also have a shop vac that lives on my deck.  The difference between this and the shop vac is my vac blows tons of ash.  The BBQ Dragon fan can be adjusted so you can find the sweet spot and change temp without ashing your food.  Worked well for me on pizza # 4 when my lump lacked some pizzazz.   

With normal use, batteries last 3-4 cooks.  But they easily charge with micro usb charger that has an outlet adapter.

Oh- and it is fun to use!

Here is a shot with my Wok-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks like a great, well built product.
    $50 @ Amazon.com and free shipping.
    I have used shop vac, air compressor and one of the small plug in inflatable bed pumps in the past.
    2 year warrantee at 50 bucks sounds fair...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas