Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Brats! (pics)

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Had a friend in town for the weekend who is a big fan of brats. I've grilled them a few times on the egg, but this time decided to try them in the CI pan. Got the egg heated to 400 direct. Had the CI pan in the egg the whole time it was getting to temp. Sliced up some onion, green bell peppers and red cayenne peppers (cowhorn cayenne). Used Miller lite and some butter in the pan.

Here is everything fresh on the CI pan:

Took the brats off part way through the cook to brown on the grid, then put them back in the CI pan until the veggies were finished cooking. Cooked the brats to an IT temp of 170:

I think I've found my go-to brat recipe. These things were amazing, and my friend was impressed to say the least. I've just about convinced him to get an egg! A storm rolled through after the cook and left a nice sunset. Felt like a natural Instagram filter. Hope yall had a great weekend!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, I love brats. The last few times I've done them with kraut in the CI pan, almost the same. Been quite awhile since I've done with onion/pepper. Hmm...supper tomorrow night maybe.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @DMW - I haven't tried them with kraut. The onion/pepper mixture was excellent. The seeded cayenne peppers added the perfect amount of spice. 
    Cumming, GA  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sweet. Love doing them in the pan. Either with onions and peppers or kraut.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Griffin - maybe I need to give kraut a try next time.
    Cumming, GA  

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Nice job!!!  I've always cooked them directly on the grate.  Need to do this the next time.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fence0407
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @jcaspary - thanks! I would recommend trying them this way. After grilling them direct a few times, I think the CI pan adds a whole new level of flavor. 
    Cumming, GA  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great!  I really like this method as well.  I did some last night and instead of beer I used Worcestershire sauce and the onions turned out really good.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fence0407
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - thanks! I love cooking with Worcestershire sauce - I will have to give that a try next time with the brats. Thanks for the heads up!
    Cumming, GA  

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I never really cooked brats much prior the last couple weeks, but I did brats the same way except for just onions in the pan and they were fantastic. The only that would have made them better would be slapping some garlic butter on the inside of the buns and toasting them on the egg really quickly. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • fence0407
    Options
    @yzzi - I couldn't agree more. I used regular butter in the CI pan with beer and I think it helped with the flavor. I may experiment next time by throwing in a dry rub. I like DP Swamp Venom and Cowlick. I'm thinking the Cow Lick seasoning mixed in would be really good.
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Options
    NIce job @Fence0407 I cook a lot of brats myself, being from northern Illinois I grew up on them. I haven't tried them that way but will next time, I like to add Kraut as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @JRWhitee - how do you normally cook them? I've had them before but never really that often. I think that will change after this last cook!  :D
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I usually grill them to get the grill marks going and put them in a tin foil pan with a couple bottles of beer, onions, peppers and Kraut. Your way looks much better...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I usually grill them to get the grill marks going and put them in a tin foil pan with a couple bottles of beer, onions, peppers and Kraut. Your way looks much better...
    Pretty similar. Test the CI pan and let me know if there is a difference. I started mine off in the pan with the beer, butter and veggies. Then after they started to turn white, I put them directly on the grid to get the grill marks. Once they looked cooked on the outside, they went back into the CI pan until veggies were done and IT reached 170.
    Cumming, GA  

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Dig! Love me some beer and brats.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Cymbaline65!
    Cumming, GA  

• GaryLange
    Options
    I make those often and usually boil them in Beer and Onions then Grill them until light brown. They come out supper tender and full of flavor.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @fence0407‌ Fantastic Brats =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Options
    @GaryLange - exactly what I did. They were excellent.

Thanks @NPHuskerFL!
    Cumming, GA  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great. Try low and slow for 2 to 3 hours at 225 to 250. I love them this way too. You gave me a new idea for the CI skillet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    @fence0407 I will try this way next time. They look great.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • fence0407
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - never crossed my mind to smoke them low and slow. Interesting. Might have to give that a shot.

Thanks @Dillonjm - I think you'd really like the brats this way. Tons of flavor and juicy. I'd also imagine spices/seasonings could be added to enhance flavor. 
    Cumming, GA  

• squezz
    Options
    About how long in total did it take at 400?
  • fence0407
    Options
    @squezz - about 30 minutes or so. You want the veggies to be cooked throughout and the brat to reach an IT of 160.
    Cumming, GA  

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I like it!   I usually use kraut, but when we have a party the wife complains that the entire house smells like sauerkraut since I leave a large pile of brats in a crockpot all night during the shindig.

I think I'll try some sliced onions and thinly sliced cabbage this time.   I know cabbage also has some stink to it, but I don't think it smells as strong as sauerkraut.   BUT, correct me if I'm wrong...you know the saying, "happy wife, bored husband."  wait, that's not it...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fence0407
    Options
    @KilterTodd - I think you mean..."happy wife, happy (bored) husband"  X_X
    Cumming, GA