Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers and Bacon Wrapped Tots

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Super simple supper, but oh so good.

Absolutely stunning sunset as well.

Should have gotten out the real camera.

I see the forum doesn't like panoramic phone pics.

imageimageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Par excellent brother. That's my kind of grub right there! Solid all around.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    The pics look great as well!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I could eat my body weight in those tots!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Gotta love the Tots, especially wrapped in bacon.
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Everything looks great
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GreenWave36
    Options
    What method did you use for the burgers? They look great.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    Very nice. Tots wrapped in bacon are going on my short list of breakfast must-try's.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Nice!  Bacon wrapped tots is something I never seen or thought about.  Nice idea!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    Options
    Thank you @SGH @Tjcoley @grege345 @GreenWave36 @J_Que @tarheelmatt

The bacon wrapped tots were not my idea, I saw them here on the forum awhile back.

These burgers were 5oz of ground beef formed into patties with a dimple in the middle to keep them from turning into meatballs. Cooked around 425* raised direct. Seasoned the top side and put them on the grill, flipped after 1 minute and seasoned the other side. Flipped every few minutes after that until they were finished.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Supper of champions. Looks great.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmmm...baon wrapped tots. =P~ Been too long since I've done those.  Burgers look great too. No plated shot?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    On the short list... Thanks
  • DMW
    Options
    @Griffin
    The only plated shot I got wasn't very photogenic...

Here it is anyway.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    are the tots thawed out before you put them on?
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking cook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    Options
    are the tots thawed out before you put them on?
    Thaw the tots just to the point where you can pierce them with a toothpick without having them break. I usually put them in the fridge for an hour or so and that seems to do the trick. I also like to par-freeze the bacon before wrapping. Slightly frozen bacon is easier to slice, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking meal and the sunset pic is really cool.  If I click on the pick it goes shows up in landscape mode.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stemc33
    Options
    Really @DMW‌, who only eats 4 tots? Especially if they're wrapped in bacon. That egg was stuffed full of tots.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    Options
    @stemc33 That was my initial plate. I was sitting right beside the serving plate. I continued to snack on those all night....

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice! I've never had a bacon wrapped tot. Must try it.
  • stemc33
    Options
    That sounds more like it. :D
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks. I just like to see fully built burgers. See what others put on them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Those bacon wrapped tots are the bomb. I can eat them until I'm sick. Again excellent cook!

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I am gonna try those tots!! looks great!!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    At what temp did you cook the tots at? Do they get crispy? I am jeliouse as I have already ate dinner but deep down I want some of them. Nice job
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Anything with bacon and I'm in. Great looking tots and burgers. Simple is always good.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Yummy. You took tots to a new level. Did you pre cook the bacon a little?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Firemanyz
    400* indirect. They take roughly 30 minutes. Pull them when the bacon is starting to crisp.

No, I did not pre-cook the bacon at all.

Here's the notes I jotted down for someone else that asked about them.

400* Indirect about 30 minutes or so. Thaw the tots slightly so you can slide a toothpick through without breaking them apart before wrapping with bacon. Each tot is wrapped with about 1/6 slice of bacon. Another tip, raw bacon is easier to work with if slightly frozen. Slice the bacon slice long-ways down the middle, then roll a tot in one of the strips and cut it off as soon as the bacon overlaps. After assembling, skewer each with a toothpick. Works great as a side or app. Watch what you use for rub, these turned out a bit salty. I think next time I'll use a salt-free sweet rub, maybe just brown sugar. The bacon provides plenty of salt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA