Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pink's Hot Dog Chili Recipe (Los Angeles)

Options
EggyLoew
EggyLoew Posts: 9
edited September 2014 in Beef
Not an egg recipe, but totally worth it.

For anyone who has been to LA and tried Pink's chili dog's, you know they are ridiculous. I used to live nearby (live near SF now) and had a rule that if I ever drove by and there was no line (which was never), I had to stop. This resulted in me usually buying a bunch of dogs at 10 AM on the way to go watch football and day drink at my buddy's place in Hollywood. Ever since I moved up to the bay area, I've missed those chili dogs. About a year ago I googled to see if the recipe was posted anywhere and voila.

For the start of the football season this past weekend, I finally got around to making the recipe and it brought me right back. The recipe is spot on, not sure how they figured it out, but it's awesome. 
http://www.noshcookbook.com/2013/06/pinks-hot-dogs-of-hollywood-chili-recipe.html

In case they ever take the link down, here it is, Pink's Chili Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef
½ cup of beef broth (8 ounces)
½ cup of water
3 tablespoon chili powder
all-purpose flour (amount equal to oil drained)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried onion flakes
¼ teaspoon of onion powder.
¼ teaspoon of cayenne powder
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
pinch of black pepper

Method:
  1. Brown ground beef, drain fat into glass measuring cup.
  2. Add equal amount of flour, and stir.
  3. Add in beef stock or broth.
  4. Cook the flour, broth, and oil either on stove top, oven, or microwave till brown, stirring often to prevent burning.
  5. Mix beef and roux, and return to stove-top, adding other ingredients into the mix.
  6. Simmer on medium heat till texture and taste arrive at desired levels. 

Comments