Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round 2. Hot & Fast Brisket Test for Nola's camp.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
As most of you are aware, brother Nola is sponsoring a brisket camp on the 20th. He has asked me "unfortunately" to demonstrate a few different techniques for cooking brisket. Hot & Fast being one of the methods. This is certainly not my forte if you will. I'm more of a 225 guy. Going to do this one just a little different from the last test. I'm going to trim almost all the fat off and I'm going to run 400+ from take off to touch down. Just as a comparison for the one I started at 350 then finished at 400. Any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated my friends. I really want to get this down perfect as there will be some pretty big guns and very astute brisket cooks cooking along side me as well. Thanks in advance for any and all input. Wish me luck and stand by. Oh and bring on the tips and suggestions please.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Anybody??????? Your thoughts or suggestions?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Wish I could help, I am not very skilled at brisket as I am sure you're aware of.  I am sure you will do well man.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I'm a brisket idiot, who is chapped that I am on a work trip during the NOLA lessons
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌ @TTC‌
    Thank y'all. Hope that I get to meet y'all there. If not at least some where in the near future.

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Agree w @ttc. I'd love to come down and meet you guys who can cook that stupid cut of meat! Looking forward to tonight's cook @sgh as well as seeing the results of brisket camp.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    @blind99‌
    Thank you brother. It's my hope to get eventually meet all the forum members. Again thanks.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @blind99‌ Thank you brother. It's my hope to get eventually meet all the forum members. Again thanks.

Fair warning, Some of them are real A-Holes (like Mickey). Hide your wallet when you meet @Eggcelsior‌ too. Sketchy dude.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up brother Tex. I will keep a close eye on both them. Two when I can!!

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Buy a brisket.  Take the label off.  Toss brisket in trash.  Buy large pork butt.  Put brisket label on.  Take photo.  Smoke port butt.

Best brisket you'll ever have.

Hope you can make it. You will see :))
  • SGH
    Options
    @buzd504‌
    You may be on to something there. May have to give that a try if this hot and fast thing doesn't pan out!!

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Buy a brisket.  Take the label off.  Toss brisket in trash.  Buy large pork butt.  Put brisket label on.  Take photo.  Smoke port butt.

Best brisket you'll ever have.

I'm going to tell everyone I've got a new pork brisket recipe to try...love it...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Brother , 400 from start to finish has me shaking in my boots for you.
    Seems Like this defys the brisket gods...staying tuned for results though.

Also by trimming the fat I'm worried what's going.to baste the hunk of meat?

Good luck :-&
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    Thanks brother skinny. I have actually used this procedure before on my off set with pretty "decent" results. I feel that the massive water pan in my vertical will allow me to get away with running this high. I actually completed one a few days ago running at 350 and then bumping to 400 for the finish. Again I was pretty pleased with the out come. This is just a test to see if I can farther reduce cooking time. We shall see. Maybe the brisket gods will have mercy upon me!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Think of all those who made a brisket before you , and the many you've done. That's an awful big.cheering section to have at your back! =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Brother , 400 from start to finish has me shaking in my boots for you. Seems Like this defys the brisket gods...staying tuned for results though. Also by trimming the fat I'm worried what's going.to baste the hunk of meat? Good luck :-&

Exterior fat does not baste the brisket. it all runs off the sides and into the drip pan. It's all about the intramuscular fat (why buying good meat matters).I do like an 1/8 inch cap though because I like the flavor and texture.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Are you doing a hot and fast on the egg at Nola Camp too?  Your vertical isn't going to help other eggers...mainly cause they won't be able to emulate it.  There is a cool factor to it though so I can see why you're doing it, especially since it's more protein to feed folks.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    I sure hope I can pull it of brother skinny. I will be cooking right beside a very accomplished brisket cook and forum legend. None other than brother Cen-Tex himself!!!! If I flop I will never live it down!!! I'm going to give it what I got though!!

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SkinnyV‌ I sure hope I can pull it of brother skinny. I will be cooking right beside a very accomplished brisket cook and forum legend. None other than brother Cen-Tex himself!!!! If I flop I will never live it down!!! I'm going to give it what I got though!!

Whatever- I've ruined way more than i've done well. I'm going there to drink beer and talk smack to my fellow eggers. If I happen to pull one out of the hat then so be it.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I'm going to do a "flat" on the BGE hot and fast without panning it. Nola requested that I do a choice and select packer as well using the hot and fast method. One on the vertical and one on my offset. Just to demonstrate these 2 cooking methods. The egg will be represented very well. I'm doing a flat. Nola and brother Tex are both doing packers on the egg. I think Eggcelsior is doing a packer as well on the egg. I'm open to cooking with any technique or cooker that someone would like to see demonstrated. Just trying to do as brother Nola requested of me. Also I think it's best that more experienced eggers demonstrate the eggs ability with packers. I'm pretty good on my offset and vertical. But there are others that are far more qualified to demonstrate the eggs ability than me. Again I will gladly take a shot at a packer on the egg if so requested. But for now the packers on the egg are in very capable hands.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex I have heard a lot about your abilities. You no doubt are par excellent at cooking brisket.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nothing to see here.   :P
  • SGH
    Options
    Did I misunderstand?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I will gladly try again.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Did I misunderstand?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I will gladly try again.
    No, I completely misread that.  I blame my old young eyes.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex I have heard a lot about your abilities. You no doubt are par excellent at cooking brisket.

yeah- but out of all those people on here that say I'm the brisket guru, about 8 of them have actually had my brisket (I think Nola is the only one you know that has and I have to admit, that was a very good one). It's good when it's good and decent when it's not. I'm cool with that. I don't cook enough of them anymore to claim to be any kind of authority. I'm going to have fun. It's my wife's Bday and we are going to have some drinks, sling some food, and have fun with our forum friends. That sounds like a good day to me. Hope the food is good but that is secondary.
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Without a doubt Cen can bring it.  Yall are in for a treat!  The one to watch out for is his prodigy.  Hope my son (or daughter) takes an interest in BBQ one day.
  • SGH
    Options
    I concur brother Tex. Just for the record I'm cooking a clod along side my brisket in case the brisket flops!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    No problem. I thought I may have made a error that required correction. I don't type so well.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Without a doubt Cen can bring it.  Yall are in for a treat!  The one to watch out for is his prodigy.  Hope my son (or daughter) takes an interest in BBQ one day.

#1 son can bring it too. He is a little rough around the edges but off to a great start at a young age.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I concur brother Tex. Just for the record I'm cooking a clod along side my brisket in case the brisket flops!!!!

Good- I've never had clod that I thought was anything special before. Can't wait to try it.