Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a table Vs. buying one

d9
d9 Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
smokercartth.jpg
<p />I'm toying with the idea of building my own cart for my XL BGE. I priced redwood lumber and it's looking like $246 just for the wood. Keep in mind that is half the price of the one in the link, but I can't help but think there must be a more cost effective way. [p]Any ideas?[p]d9
[ul][li]http://www.barbecuewood.com/Categories.bok?category=Smokers%3A%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3BCarts[/ul]

Comments

• d9,
    Have you looked at the Table Gallery for ideas?[p][li]The Table Gallery[p]Some folks have spent $60 on some treated lumber and whipped out a table in an afternoon. Others have spent a lot more on nice wood and spent a month on it. I guess it depends on what you want.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • d9, Redwood is would not be my first choice for building an egg table.
    Check into cedar, hemlock or treated lumber. If I were building with treated lumber I would stain it and then seal with polyurethane to
    seal the chemicals into the lumber. Any of these woods should last
    a good long time for much less than redwood. I have seen tables
    built with recycled pallet lumber and when finished and stained well,
    you would never suspect that it was from old pallets.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    d9,
    if you build your own, try to forego pressure treated.[p]there's no logical reason for using it, and it's not great to have around as a surface on which you may put food...[p]pressure treated is used to prevent insect infestation and fungal rot, neither of which is likely to occur if you use the thing once in a while and have it on a patio or concrete pad. and you aren't really supposed to stain or finish it until the surface dries out... something like 6 months.[p]as a little public service announcement to all our DIYers out there.... any PT wood placed in direct contact with concrete is no better than regular wood in the same place. concrete wicks out any of the PT chemicals, turning pressure treated wood into wood-that-used-to-be-pressure-treated. if you are building a shed for example, and using PT as a sill, put a strip of poly vapor barrier under it.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • d9
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow.... Thanks, I'm in "re-think" mode now. I really like Smoke N Smirk and the tile table he/she did. I think somewhere to store the coal, daisy wheel, chips, lighter, etc. out of the weather would be good. [p]Tile..... Hummmmmm.... [p]Thanks, [p]Dave
  • d9
    tablesmokensmirk.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]I still like the idea of redwood for all the reasons you just posted but wow.... look at this.[p]

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    d9,[p]That's my favorite table. Santa did not bring one this year though. :(

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    d9,
    looks much nicer, too.[p]anyway, well built porches, houses, etc. do not require PT wood, acres of ice-dam membrane, etc.[p]...just a rant. sorry all!
    don't get me going on vinyl siding!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • d9,[p]I've been keeping an eye out for a great table and my compiments to you, that is a fabulous and very functional table you have there! Super nice job d9!!! Great planning, color and wood selection, and I love the attention to the details...[p]My wife is going to curse you for this post... She'll say that finishing out our basement is the higher priority. Oh, well, you've got me thinkin' hard now, and it isn't the first time my wife's priority's are backwards![p]One question... We live in Colorado and have a lot of freeze-thaw cycles and our deck is totally un-protected from the elements. Would the tile weather well? If sealed?[p]OK... Second question... How did you get that perfect circle in the tile cut so closely around the egg?[p]Land of Maddi[p]
  • d9,[p]I guess I thought you had built this table, but after working my way "back" to the forum, I realized you had just posted the photo of this table. Oh, well, I like it a lot anyway![p]Land of Maddi
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    MadDogMoore,[p]Well I'm in michigan and a while back I had a table I mae with a tile top that was outdoors all year and it never had a problem. I did use a grout sealer at the time and I reapplied it yearly like with our bath/shower tiles.[p]Back when I did tile work I used tile cutters and often a jig saw with a a blade made for tile to get clean holes. A steady hand with a small grinder does wonders too![p]Bob
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    d9, I debated the same, and built my own, and am so glad I did. It turned out well and everyone says "YOU BUILT THAT!!!" My brother came in for the holidays and I took him outside and showed him all about the egg, we cooked on it, etc. After he got home we talked on the phone and he asked me where I got the table. I talked so much about the wonders of the egg I never thought to tell him about the table. The biggreenegg website has good table plans, but I had to make the shelf that the egg sits on 2 inches higher to adjust for the new spring loaded hinges on the egg. I don't think they have yest changed that.
  • bbqBob,[p]I much appreciate the feedback. We'd really like to do something more along the lines of an outdoor kitchen rather than an Egg-in-a-nest and a gas grill full of BGE gadgets. Thanks for giving me some confidence in the tile surfacing and for the tile grinding tip.[p]Ever go to Tony's in Flint for your whole two-week's supply of bacon in one breakfast order? My wife is from MI and we get back there from time to time. We always get a side of bacon and have BLT's for lunch day-after-day it seems...[p]
    Land of Maddi

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    d9,[p]i don't recommend running out and buying a bunch of power tools if your not familiar with how to use em. I've made both tables that i use with no problems, but i lopped off a finger, actually two of em, making stuff. I pride myself on being safety consious, but sh!t happens. If you want to build your own, you'll be damn proud of it i'm sure, just be careful.[p]Scott

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    MadDogMoore,[p]Boy I wish I could eat at Tony's but I don't eat meat...okay that's a lie![p]Not trying to correct you but I assume you mean Tony's in Birch Run (right off I-75 at the BR exit)?[p]Been there several times! They still drop a pound (or more) of deep fried bacon on your plate! Haven't been there in a few years but do plan to head back. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive for me. Used to stop in when I used to deer hunt.[p]When you get back in the area let me know and I'll see if I can get up there and buy ya breakfast![p]Also if or when you get ready to do the tile work email me and I'll get you additional info for doing things.[p]Bob[p]
  • eggor,[p]Any Fort Fun BGE table experience or thoughts? I'm tempted to do something along the lines of the Smoke-N-Smirk's table, just concerned about our (Colorado) exposure to the elements in the long run. I have no experience with outdoor tile other than when I lived (briefly) in Arizona ...[p]BTW - Have all the power tools I'd need to do the table thing and then some. As a bonus, I know how to use them and still have all of my original 10-digits... But, I'd be tempted to sacrifice a small portion of one of my 10-digits for a great BGE table...[p]Land of Maddi

• bbqBob,[p]Yes, my wife is far more familiar with MI, and she said yes, the I-75 & BR exit (I knew I was some where in Michigan!). Would enjoy having breakfast, but honestly, no plans to go back soon. Do you think they only serve a pound of bacon as a side? Maybe not much more, but every bit of a pound in my opinion![p]I will e-mail you regarding the BFE table/tile project. It is only a couple hours in the making as of now, but I do have a feeling for what I want to do and I'd really like to have a great tiled surface.[p]Please stop by Tony's and order a couple of sides of bacon for me. As of tomorrow, I'm doing the low-carb thing and it would only be appropriate. Thanks bbqBob! [p]Land of Maddi
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    MadDogMoore,[p]Smoke-N-Smirks looks like one of the finest table in the group. The enclosed storage is a great idea, and the draw... well I'm gonna add one some day. The only thing I'ld do is make sure you have some ground clearance for snow.[p]I'ld stear clear of the tile and opt for granite. Grease and grout would be my concern. If you build one I can help you out with the granite, its not as difficult as some think.[p]Scott

• eggor,[p]Thanks! Good point about clearance for snow. I like the granite idea too. It is going to be mulling around in the back of my mind for a while before I do anything.[p]Jeff

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Hi eggor,
    Don't feel bad even the pro nick a finger or two now & then.
    Both of my thumbs have shaved down ends, makes for funny looking thumb nails.
    Cheers,
    bruce