Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ring-Still Learning

I read that the smoke ring stopped forming at around 150 internal degrees or so. Is this true when cooking briskets, which are my favorites. My question is will the brisket keep on absorbing the smoke flavor after the smoke ring stops forming?
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    edited September 2014
    Smoke ring has nothing to do with flavor. It is caused by a chemical reaction between myoglobin in the meat and smoke compounds. You can actually cheat by adding a source of nitrite to your rub (pink salt, celery salt, celery powder). If you try that, be careful because nitrite is poisonous in large quantity. You will get the biggest smoke ring you have ever seen. In fact, you could do that in your kitchen without smoke...

To answer your questions, the ring stops somewhere in the 140+ range.  And the meat will continue to acquire smoke flavor as long as smoke is present.  And here's a link for further info (the long version of @paqman's explanation above):
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Be careful, you can over smoke the meat. I try to smoke meat for only 2-3 hours. Cherry wood also helps with the smoke ring I have found.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • paqman
    @lousubcap‌ - Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting article. I did not know this site. They are quoting another article in the source. The article they quote is even more interesting. They say in the myths section that the smoke ring is not caused by nitrites but the article they quote actually explains how to create a smoke ring in the kitchen without smoke using sodium nitrite...

@paqman-give his entire site a look sometime.  If you can't find an article on what you are looking for then chances are it doesn't exist at least with regard to grilling and Q.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for all the input guys!
    San Angelo, texas
  • paqman

Thanks for all the input guys!

I hope it helps. Someone here did the smoke ring experiment using sodium nitrite in a kitchen oven and posted a thread about 1 year ago. I could not believe it (the smoke ring was uge) so I tried it and it worked... I am pretty sure I posted pics and a reply but I looked at my posts and I can't find it... Anyhow, I now add celery powder to my rubs when I want to have a better smoke ring. After reading this article, I may add a few briquettes on top of the lump to see if it helps. I have seen a few guys doing that at the Ottawa ribs fest, I did not understand why now it make sense to me.

I hope it helps. Someone here did the smoke ring experiment using sodium nitrite in a kitchen oven and posted a thread about 1 year ago. I could not believe it (the smoke ring was uge) so I tried it and it worked... I am pretty sure I posted pics and a reply but I looked at my posts and I can't find it... Anyhow, I now add celery powder to my rubs when I want to have a better smoke ring. After reading this article, I may add a few briquettes on top of the lump to see if it helps. I have seen a few guys doing that at the Ottawa ribs fest, I did not understand why now it make sense to me.

I think that was me. i did it on the egg though:http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154890/smoke-ring-troubles-centex-can-help/p1
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman

paqman said:

I think that was me. i did it on the egg though:http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154890/smoke-ring-troubles-centex-can-help/p1

I remember your post but it was someone else not long after you posted this one. Maybe Nola, it was definitely in the oven. I could not believe it so I had to try it...

I remember your post but it was someone else not long after you posted this one. Maybe Nola, it was definitely in the oven. I could not believe it so I had to try it...

missed that one .im sure someone will dig it up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    @paqman When is your next fight?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • paqman
    thetrim said:

@paqman When is your next fight?

I'm a peaceful man but everyday is a new fight ;)