Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Veggie Pizza Topping Combos

Options
Having a friend over and his guest is Vegetarian and I've committed to pizza night. What's everyones favorite veggie combo's?   I found a few that look good.  Caprese Pizza with roasted grape tomatoes and Balsamic reduction and a Ratatouille Pizza but looking for other ideas. Also making grilled potato slices topped with Romesco sauce and wild mushroom Crostini along with olives and cheese platter etc. 
Dearborn MI

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    tomato basil, summer squash with broccoli florets, i ate a craisin pizza the other day, not sure i like it but im not a vegatarian
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We like tomatoes,yellow and red peppers,shrooms and olives with feta and mounds of moz. Slice everything crazy thin and put just a small bit of marinara on the dough.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Marg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    May sound weird but it is great.  Pesto for the sauce, then sliced tomatoes and fresh corn cut off the cobb.  Sprinkle with basil leaves and moz. :-)
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I've used Pesto before for sauce. Nothing weird about that.  
    Dearborn MI
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hard to beat a well made Margarita Pizza, tomato sauce, cheese and basil.

Gerhard

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Fresh garlic, grilled onions, artichokes, and spinach!
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Found this site for some ideas as well. Thought I'd share.

Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Or not LOL.........why do all my sites disappear that I try to share?

Dearborn MI
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    onion ring:

photo IMG_3290.jpg

asparagus:

photo 022.jpg

bloom'n onion:

photo 064.jpg

crispy polenta:

photo 043.jpg

marinated eggplant:

photo IMG_0594.jpg

falafel & onion:

photo 008_zpsd524efba.jpg

homemade kettle chip & pepper:

photo IMG_4166.jpg

fried eggplant:

photo 030.jpg

mushroom cast iron pie:

photo 025_zps64a6724b.jpg

pecorino & sage:

photo 020.jpg

peppadew & feta:

photo IMG_2690.jpg

pistachio pesto with mushrooms:

photo IMG_4000.jpg

pumpkin pie:

photo IMG_3986.jpg

roasted garlic, red pepper & provolone:

photo 025.jpg

sweet potato fry pie:

photo IMG_0705.jpg

and about a billion other combinations, sky isn't even the limit when it comes to veggies
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @zippylip - damn man, what you have to ruin my morning. I ate pop tarts before reading this and now im craving pizza. Looks fantastic.

Do you shape your dough or is it pre made bought
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    They all look good. Only making two so I'm trying to choose wisely LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Zippylip
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    @zippylip - damn man, what you have to ruin my morning. I ate pop tarts before reading this and now im craving pizza. Looks fantastic.

Do you shape your dough or is it pre made bought
    I make it, most often a simple fast warm rise.  In a kitchenaid bowl add 4 cups of bread flour, a teaspoon each of salt & yeast, then 1.5 cups of water.  Knead with the hook for 6 or 7 minutes then separate into 3 equal balls & cover.  Sit them on the kitchen counter until they double in size (could be as little as an hour this time of year due to warmth & humidity & up to a few hours if it's colder). 

If you're in a hurry you can always pop them in a warming drawer of your oven at the lowest setting & they'll double in 30ish minutes.  You can make fresh homemade dough in the time it takes to fire up & properly preheat the egg.  It's not going to have the complexity of a slower rise or cold rise but it ain't too shabby & I doubt you'll get any complaints 
    happy in the hut
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I can't compete with @Zippylip, but while  you're preheating your stone, throw a whole head of garlic on it.  By the time your stone is to temp, the garlic will be nicely roasted.
    NOLA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @Zippylip, do you weigh your flour? If so how many ounces do you use?  

Dearborn MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    My favorite is thinly sliced roma tomato, thinly sliced artichoke hearts, shredded red onion, arugula, and drizzled with olive oil in which I've mashed a clove of garlic and dried italian herbs.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hey @Zippylip If you ever want to open a pizza joint, count me in as a investor. 
    WOW!!! You just changed my plans for tonight, I was taking my wife out for Chinese food . Now I'm gonna switch to making my own pizza.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I don't consider "veggie" a real pizza.... just sayin.... 
  • Zippylip
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    @Zippylip, do you weigh your flour? If so how many ounces do you use?  

Ken, no.  See above recipe.  It will yield moderately inconsistent results as opposed to weighing, but it's always been within acceptable limits for me, I enjoy not eating exactly the same crust every time...

onedbguru said:
    considering that the origins of pizza are meatless, I consider a "veggie" pizza the very definition of real
    happy in the hut
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Actually recorded history shows between 996 AD and 1889 meat was not put on pizzas. LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @Zippylip. I'll try it but I'll look up how many ounces in a cup of bread flour. The one thing I learned from taking baking classes as opposed to cooking classes they weigh everything. I always had trouble with baking breads and rolls etc until I started weighing my ingredients.

Dearborn MI
  • Zippylip
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    @Zippylip. I'll try it but I'll look up how many ounces in a cup of bread flour. The one thing I learned from taking baking classes as opposed to cooking classes they weigh everything. I always had trouble with baking breads and rolls etc until I started weighing my ingredients.

Ken, there is no shortage of exact weight 'recipes' floating around out there.  Suffice it to say this discussion has presented itself numerous times over the years.  Yes, there is a strong contingent of people that swear by weighing to the point they believe competent baking cannot be achieved any other way.  Yes, I disagree with those people.  I have no formal training or other credentials to support my position other than to simply say I've done it this way for now 20+ years & I've never had a complaint let alone a fully dissatisfied customer... 

They say baking is an exact science, I'm not a believer.  As mentioned above I rather enjoy the variations that result when inexact measurements (human error), variations in humidity or compaction of flour occur.  The idea that I never quite know exactly how the next pie will turn out makes it interesting to me. 

That said I am not trying to dissuade you from weighing ingredients, after all, whatever method makes you comfortable to the extent you'll do it is the right and best method for you. 
    happy in the hut
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I don't believe it's an exact science. I watch women bake in wood stoves at Greenfield Village without measuring and just eyeing it like they did hundreds of years ago.  I'm just speaking from experience in my kitchen. I always cooked but never baked. My goal for 2012 was to learn to bake breads, rolls etc as I'm not a sweet eater and my wife makes desserts if we need one. I took a few classes at Zingermans in Ann Arbor and they were huge on weighing for consistency but they also sell to the public.  You use a Kitchen Aid and I love working dough by hand. In the end it all works out and everyone enjoys our food so it's all good. I also started measuring because I used to do a cooking blog and people would make comments to me when I wasn't specific enough on ingredients. I'm currently experimenting with cold rises and seeing how it effects the flavor and chewiness in the crust. The funniest part about it is I never was a pizza guy and would only eat them at other peoples houses and maybe ate one a year. Since getting the BGE I've been making them at least every other week. LOL 
    Dearborn MI
  • onedbguru
    Options

onedbguru said:
    considering that the origins of pizza are meatless, I consider a "veggie" pizza the very definition of real
    They didn't know what they were missing either.... ;) 
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    By far my favorite- pesto as the sauce, then grilled asparagus, with bocconcini (small moltz balls)- salt and pepper to taste. Everyone that has tried this one really likes it-
    Greensboro, NC
  • onedbguru
    Options
    I do make my own sauce from fresh (or canned) whole tomatoes, evoo, garlic, a bit of salt, pepper and fresh basil (and depending on acidity, **maybe** a bit of sugar just to take that edge off).
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    What, no meat in the sauce?
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Here was #1 garlic butter, blistered cherry tomatoes, parmesan, and mozzarella. 
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Oregano,chives, and parsley added at the end.

Dearborn MI