Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just burned through a gasket.... help please

Options
I forgot to shut stuff down after searing a tri tip. It was searing at about 700 and I think it got up to about 1000 degrees. It is melted shut, and I can not open it at all but is cooling down. Any thing I should do? Just let it run its course and worry about it tomorrow? Pretty frustrated with my self, so any words of assurance couldn't hurt. Also, WRECK 'EM TECH!!!
Wreck 'Em!
- J in Amarillo, Tx

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can use a paint scraper to separate it once it cools. The gasket is warrantied for a year so you can hit up your dealer or go aftermarket. Cotronics, Nomex, and Rutland are all options.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I have melted mine together several times before installing my Rutland. The easiest way that I have found to get it apart is with a thin flexible boning knife. I can usually cut one apart in under 3 minutes with this Victorinox flexible boning knife. Good luck my friend.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• llrickman
    Options
    Nice to see another TTU fan here. When I melted mine got it open with a butter knife
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM