Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The little mini that could. Quail & Mushrooms

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I thought I would start off tonight with a small and quick appetizer. Mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat and a little cayenne. Got a few quail as well. Haven't decide just how I want to do them yet. Hung on hooks or on the mini. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'm with you and like the stuffed with crabmeat...I say mini for the quail.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you for the kind words. On your advice above: The mini it is then for the quail. Again thanks brother anzy.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I say stuff the quail with the shrooms and put on the mini, but my guess is the shrooms are gone by now if I know how you like to eat :D:D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    The shroons will be gone in mere minutes my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The quail prepped.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    My semi indirect set up for the quail. The factory CI fire grate out of my large BGE then the standard mini SS grid.image

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Dats pretty cool

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    Thank you brother Matt.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Quail going on.image

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I don't know why but that reminds me of frog legs Nothing bad to you at all. I need to find some frog legs to try on the egg.

analyze adapt overcome

• anzyegg
    Options
    Nice idea with CI... Looking good...
  • SGH
    Options
    Thank you my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    A bacon blanket to prevent drying out and over darkening from reflective dome heat.image

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    SGH said:
    My semi indirect set up for the quail. The factory CI fire grate out of my large BGE then the standard mini SS grid.image

Very interesting innovation.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SGH
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton‌
    Thank you brother Doc. I'm pretty good at coming up with ways to cook on the fly. When you grow up poor you learn fast my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I am going to see if the stock grate from my LBGE will fit like that on the Medium.  Are there particular cooks you like to use that on?

I just re read and that is an LBGE grate, so probably too small for the Medium.  Maybe a couple metal rods across the fire ring would work as supports.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SGH
    Options
    Only on my mini. I just use it as a indirect piece until my stones arrive that I ordered. It's just a quick fix for tonight's cook. The stones or plate setter work much better my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Doc I don't really recommend this as you still can get flair ups. I will use the stones when they arrive. This is just a quick fix I came up with for tonight.

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Ah, I was thinking you were getting a benefit from a little direct, and from the radiance off the cast iron.  I occasionally use a stone from the next sized down Egg on the bottom ring of the Woo to make a quick and easy indirect spot.  I also like lighting the back of the XL and cooking on the front if it is a small enough cook, a little hard to do on a Mini.  

• SGH
    Options
    No my friend no advantage to using it. It's actually a disadvantage due to flair ups. Just a quick fix for tonight's cook my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Quail is coming along pretty good.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Quail is done and resting.
    I ate the bacon blanket. Sorry my friends.
    See pic below.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Don't know what happened above.image

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    Options
    They look great my friend. Only wish the bacon stayed on (ha)....Awesome as usual...
  • SGH
    Options
    Shroons and Quail is a done deal.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother. The bacon was cooks treat ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Great looking cook! Love stuffed mushrooms. Never had quail.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Wow .. this is inspiring .. I still have to use my Mini that I picked up on CL. 

@SGH .. I love your cooks on the mini and I will need to make a compilation of all your cooks for reference. Truly inspiring! Thanks for posting these cooks.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Look awesome........!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Dang..

analyze adapt overcome