Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some more Georgia Red Wings

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
From the recent posts it looks like wings have been a popular faire this weekend. Here's my plate from last night.  They marinated for 56 hours which means the meat is tasty clear to the bone and then a light dusting of DP Swamp Venom gives a topical kicker at first bite!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Love me some Georgia Red Wings =D>
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. If I may ask what did you marinate them in?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a home run to me. If I may ask what did you marinate them in?

Water, Texas Pete, Lemon juice, Soy sauce and Hot V-8
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Can we just call them nuclear Georgia wings?
    They look great Ron. =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BJL
    BJL Posts: 10
    Options
    can we have the full recipe including cooking time and temp? Thanks.....BJL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Looks great!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    Options
    BJL said:
    can we have the full recipe including cooking time and temp? Thanks.....BJL
    Sure!

Georgia Red Wings

Also known as 54/50 AND Fight Wings!

The basis of this recipe is from a friend down in Georgia and he called them Georgia Red Wings. I have tweaked the recipe several times over the years to our liking. It seems to be popular at our local Eggfests when I make it! These are not over-powering spicy as some hot wings can be, but instead quite flavorful.  Enjoy! Ron Pratt aka RRP

INGREDIENTS:
    12 to 14 chicken wings
    .75 cup water
    1.25 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice 

.50 teaspoon Dizzy Pig brand Swamp Venom dry rub

Procedure
    1. Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding the tips. 

2. Thoroughly rinse the fat from the wing parts by soaking in salt water for 4 hours and then again rinsing under running water. 

3. Combine marinade ingredients in a large new Zip-Loc bag (1 gallon works best) and mix well. Pour marinade over the wings in bag and then place bag in a rigid container and squeeze out air so the wings stay submerged. 

4. It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator at a minimum of 50 hours! Massage bag and turn at least every 12 hours for best results.
    5. Remove the wings from the marinade and if you want them hotter sprinkle lightly with Swamp Venom rub.
    6. Grill indirect at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes. If using a foil covered plate setter which I prefer I find no need to turn them during the full cook. If grilling direct, only cook at 350° dome, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    They look fantastic Ron. Never had Georgia Red Wings and I live right near the border. A must try....
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I love wings and I would eat a bucket of those. Home run !
    Jacksonville FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    look great  would be a great marinade for whole chicken to 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • RRP
    Options
    EggerinLA said:

Thanks for posting the original recipe! As I said I have made some changes to that over the years and while those changes may seem minor to some people they were tweaks that we liked. The two major changes are the brining for 4 hours plus at least a 50 hour soak vs. overnight as well as temperature and time changes that seem to work for me. I disclosed in my foreword that the original recipe was not mine. Sorry if you were offended or thought that I was being deceitful, as I wasn't!
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    Don't be a drama queen, chief. I was just showing a slightly different version of the GA Red Wings which happened to be the one you modified from.
  • RRP
    Options
    EggerinLA said:
    Don't be a drama queen, chief.

LOL sorry that I said I was sorry if that's the way you took my explanation, or should I even say sorry about that as well? LOL
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    No apology needed, chief. Like the burgundy mushrooms, I just wanted to show the original recipe. Nothing wrong with modifying original recipes. Your wings look good. I will make them and share them with another cooking forum I post a lot on. Of course I will give full credit to you.
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    Lol, I am so glad this was not a post about the other kind of red wings.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • lc_gator
    Options
    @RRP, just wanted to say thanks for re-posting your modified version of these red wings (as a Gator I can't stand to use your full name for them). I tried them for the first time less than 2 weeks ago and everyone raved about them. I've actually got 70 more of them marinating right now for tomorrow night. I used hickory chunks and loved how that smoke flavor mixed with the rest of the profile. Will try to get some pics from tomorrow's cook before they are all gone. Thanks again.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @RRP .. do you need to refrigerate the wings when soaking in salt water for 4 hrs? Or is it fine to leave it on the kitchen counter while soaking?

Thanks for the modified version of the recipe ... definitely want to try this!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    lc_gator said:
    @RRP, just wanted to say thanks for re-posting your modified version of these red wings (as a Gator I can't stand to use your full name for them). I tried them for the first time less than 2 weeks ago and everyone raved about them. I've actually got 70 more of them marinating right now for tomorrow night. I used hickory chunks and loved how that smoke flavor mixed with the rest of the profile. Will try to get some pics from tomorrow's cook before they are all gone. Thanks again.
    LOL - now you are hooked! Glad you liked them - they are worth all the time and effort in my opinion.
  • RRP
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @RRP .. do you need to refrigerate the wings when soaking in salt water for 4 hrs? Or is it fine to leave it on the kitchen counter while soaking?

Thanks for the modified version of the recipe ... definitely want to try this!
    Yes - I always refrigerate during that soak. I'm just sort of cautious when it comes to raw chicken as I once did battle with those nasty country cousins "Sam & Ella"!
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Great looking wings!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks terrific.  Will have to try them.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Bookmarked!
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    Ron, how many times over the years have you been asked to post this recipe. I am confident it won't be your last. Can't bring myself to try any other way. Always get great reviews whenever I've served them.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Ron, I've not tried brining, just really don't understand it.  What is the salt to water ratio needed for the brine?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Brimo said:
    Ron, how many times over the years have you been asked to post this recipe. I am confident it won't be your last. Can't bring myself to try any other way. Always get great reviews whenever I've served them.

LOL! Thanks for coming over here! BTW I thank you for your recommendation introducing us to the thin crust Cowboy from PM. That is a staple in our diet! See you in June?
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ron, I've not tried brining, just really don't understand it.  What is the salt to water ratio needed for the brine?

in this case I never think of the "salt soak" as I call it as true brining...though I know it is...but IMO that 4 hours is cutting the grease from the chicken fat being drawn out so that for the next 50 hours the marinade gets drawn in, out and around the chicken meat clear down to the bone! This whole effort is all about the deep penetration of taste into the meat cells and not a surface layer of a sauce achieved in a couple hours. Yes it takes time, but try it some time! OH...as for the amount of salt? I just dump some coarse kosher salt into cold water and stir it well. The amount?...maybe 2 T. It doesn't take much.
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options

Do you put your plate setter in with the legs down or up?  Raised grid?

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    My other question is do you also sauce them or are they best dry due to the marinade & rub?

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    mgillia said:

Do you put your plate setter in with the legs down or up?  Raised grid?

Legs up. Your grid will then naturally be near the felt level with the plate setter in. If you have something that raises from there, go for it but it's not required.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA