Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody Ever Grilled Doves?

I am thinking of grilling doves, but they are so tiny I am not sure it would work out. 

Has anyone ever tried it. If you have what temp did you grill them to? Meaning at what internal temp would they need to cook to in order to be considered done? 

Any help would be appreciated.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• We always breasted them out, stuff cavity with jalapeno and onion, wrap in bacon and grill til bacon is crisp.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I cook them whole. Let me make 2 suggestions that will go a long way. Dove is very dry. I always brine them and wrap well with bacon. Grill until they pass the bone twist test. They are par excellent this way. Be sure to brine and bacon wrap and you can't go wrong my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I have grilled them before but have never checked the temp. We always cut a jalapeno in half, took the seeds out and placed inside the breast and wrapped a piece of bacon around it and put a toothpick through it. Then cooked around 350 raised direct and when the bacon was done the breast was also. Hope this helps!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Not dove, but I've done quail and had much success with stuffing them. I did goat cheese, bacon and maybe jalapeno but I can't remember. Cook to temp as best you can and that'll hopefully prevent them from drying out too much.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Oh, and I cooked the bacon first.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    It has been years, but the way I used to do them was to brine (1 cup salt to 1 gallon water) the cleaned breasts at least 2 hours, up to overnight. Wrap in bacon secured with a toothpick and grill. If I were going to do that today, I would probably parboil the bacon first.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    +1 what @biggreenpharmicist said
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • we breast them out soak in teriyaki butter fly add pepper jack cheese wrap in bacon and grill them everyone loves them.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Thank you so much guys. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    We always breasted them out, stuff cavity with jalapeno and onion, wrap in bacon and grill til bacon is crisp.

+1 but minus the onion
    Greensboro, NC
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Dove is a bird, like duck that is better cooked a little pink. I grew up killing the by the hundreds. My perfered method is fried.
    Grilled over a medium fire with lid closed is excellant as well. Marinade the birds in Italian dressing for couple hours, wrap in good bacon such as Benton's and put on grill around. 350 direct and turn every few minutes until bacon is browned. Don't worry if u think the meat is a little underdone. Cooked done they are dry.
  • Thanks @mslaw. We usually fry them as well and eat them with grits and biscuits. I am sure that is a southern thing. 

My son wanted to try some on the egg. We will probably do a combination of both. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @johnkitchens‌
    Agreed. More often than not we fry them with grits, gravy and biscuits as well. Some things are just better fried.
    Dove is one of them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    With homemade buttermilk cathead biskets, rice and dove leaving gravet
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I don't often grill dove, but when I do, I make sure to throw on some home made venison jalapeno cheese sausage.

Wish I could remember the temp the Egg was at. Bacon wrapped with jalapeno and cheeseimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings