Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheaper alternative to Thermapen

Options
2»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Love my Thermapen! However, for steak I still use still use this method and it works perfectly.

Steps on How To Cook a Steak with Gordon Ramsay: http://youtu.be/rEx9gPhtjzs

So do use a CI skillet on the egg every time you cook a steak or just on the grate hot and fast. My family and I are a medium rare to medium on our steaks. I usually do 2 minutes a side at 650-700, then close vents and let it cook for 3 to 4 more minutes. Always comes out medium. The only thing is there is no where to move it to indirect, but I may have that remedied with this. What do you think. I haven't done a reverse sear yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WEMGM4?cache=9b9f37813d00da9eed88cceff905ef32&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1410022379&sr=8-4#ref=mp_s_a_1_4
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @bcsnave The difference is I WANTED a big green egg. I don't WANT or NEED a thermapen right now. Money is no issue. I dont use a thermometer of any kind on burgers or chops or steaks. I'm
    Lazy.

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

@bcsnave The difference is I WANTED a big green egg. I don't WANT or NEED a thermapen right now. Money is no issue. I dont use a thermometer of any kind on burgers or chops or steaks. I'm
    Lazy.

I agree, but they are nice to have on l&s or doing meatloaf.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have a maverick 733 I use on L&s. havent made a meatloaf yet.

Little Rock, AR

• Terrebandit
    Options
    @bcsnave The difference is I WANTED a big green egg. I don't WANT or NEED a thermapen right now. Money is no issue. I dont use a thermometer of any kind on burgers or chops or steaks. I'm Lazy.
    I agree, but they are nice to have on l&s or doing meatloaf.

They are good for any kind of cooking. Getting a thermopen has changed everything for me. Takes some of the guess work out of it. I am a scientist by trade, so controlling the temperature variable in my cooking is both satisfying and important :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'll probably piss off people, but I'm going to say it anyway...I have 2 Thermapens! Why? When I bought my first one years ago they were only $85 I recall, but it was not waterproof. Then the WP model came along and I bought that for the many times it rains and I didn't want the risk if laying it down which I do and forgetting it which I do! BTW here's a cost savings fact...my oldest is 13 years old and it's still using the original battery!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @RRP that does it! I'm not speaking to you anymore.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP that does it! I'm not speaking to you anymore.
    LOL - did I mention Id love to have a back lit one, but right now it isn't going to happen!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well there you go, you aggravating buncha folks. I just ordered one. Be here in a week.

Little Rock, AR

• bettysnephew
    Options
    I'm sure in a short while you too will be one of us Kool Aid drinkers and extolling it's versatility.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Or getting bitched at by the old lady cuz I just added more stuff to the drawer full of junk I don't use.....

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    Or getting bitched at by the old lady cuz I just added more stuff to the drawer full of junk I don't use.....
    Oh you will use it and even my wife now relies on our indoor one herself!   
    BTW to the haters...I turned 70 a couple months ago...I bet you too will have a different outlook on things later down the conveyor belt of life! If you want a $100 item then just get it!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh you will use it and even my wife now relies on our indoor one herself!   
    BTW to the haters...I turned 70 a couple months ago...I bet you too will have a different outlook on things later down the conveyor belt of life! If you want a $100 item then just get it!
    I have that attitude already and I'm not 70 yet. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    @DMW said:
    I have that attitude already and I'm not 70 yet.

Good for you! Life isn't a dress rehearsal!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I never was worried bout money just had thermopop so never got thermapen. I'll take cheap one to camp and leave it.

Little Rock, AR

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Well there you go, you aggravating buncha folks. I just ordered one. Be here in a week.

That-a-boy Big greenpharmacist....you won't be sorry....it will be a nice compliment to the BGE...

And on the plus side..I can QUIT RAZZING YOU.........:)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    You aint getting to me. I just said screw it and bought one. I used my maverick tonight. I just dont use my instant read much but I'm sure I will. Thanks for all the nagging. And I got green cuz thats my little boys favorite color.

Little Rock, AR

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I know...I did the same

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI