Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pig on a Large

Options
Hey everyone, first post of a cook, too good not to share!  I had a 60# (hanging weight) pig with the head & feet removed.
Day before I splayed it out, made a cut through the 4th & 5th ribs & cut out the spine & neck from there (& smoked for dinner), so I was able to curl it up tight enough to fit flat on the egg.  Put a basic cure inside & out (sugar, salt, bay leaves & rosemary) and let it cure for 18 hours, then I put it on the egg a little before 6a the day of the party.  Two chunks of apple, one of cherry.  Took out the fire ring & put the platesetter legs-up so I could fit a drip pan underneath the pig to stop flare-ups.  Poured apple juice over it every couple of hours, to keep the drippings from smoking too bad.  It was the 2nd best pork I've had in my life!  Only thing I'd change is that I'd flip it after 6 hours - I waited until I ran out of charcoal, & the bottom side was done, but the top needed more time, so I pulled some off around 5p, flipped her & let it go another hour.  

I'd post photos, but can't figure out how!  Highly recommend, gonna make it a yearly event.

Comments