Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide-$149

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
This is a special deal today on DealNews Select. I've been tempted to get one. Your thoughts?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thank you! I've been looking for an excuse to buy one. $50 off was just what I needed. It is on the way.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I already own the Gen1 version, love it...may get a second one so I can cook at multiple temps.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just picked one up. Thanks for the heads up. Was looking for an immersion circulator to go along with my SV Supreme. That is a fantastic deal
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Posted this a few days ago with not much interest, 
    Go to the Anova site, order a unit and use the promo code TAKE50. If you live in the lower 48 - the shipping is $1, total price to your door $150. 
    Have ordered my second one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go to the Anova site, order a unit and use the promo code TAKE50. If you live in the lower 48 - the shipping is $1, total price to your door $150. 
    mine was $162 because of the tax. $149+free shipping+ $13  tax

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2014
    Options
    shipping $$ to GWN kills the deal for me, not that I need another one.  Got two Gen 2 kickstarter deals @ $129 each, free shipping, plus already have a decent DIY setup; giving one to a kid.

btw, code FACEBOOK50 also gets you $50 off Gen 1.

edit: oooops, link provided by OP already mentioned FACEBOOK50  
    :\">
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    mine was $162 because of the tax. $149+free shipping+ $13  tax

interesting, mine was $150. $149+$1 shipping, no tax. I guess because you are in Texas and so is Anova. My US ship to is in WA. 

@Canugghead - The code I saw was TAKE50, works on the ANOVA site direct. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That would be why. Should have shipped it to NOLA's :)).
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again.

Anova arrived today. Boneless rib steak was dusted with s&p, rubbed with evoo and I added a little rosemary to the bag before sealing with my foodsaver.

Went in the pot for 4 hours at 128 degrees. Then pulled and dunked in an ice bath to chill, then I opened the bag, dried it off and put it in the fridge to dry more thoroughly. At that time I heated up the cast iron skillet with some oil and got it to almost 500 degrees. hotter would have been better. One minute for each side, then on the plate.

Very happy with the results, but it'll be even better when my torch arrives.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Been wanting one of these for a while. Now it's on the way. Thanks for the heads up.
    Does it come with a recipe book. I have the food saver but never used a sous vide.
    My invoice reads, $199 - $50 = $149 total. Free shipping.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

Saw your post on 8/25 @Skiddymarker‌ and it got me thinking now is the time. Of course I procrastinated until this thread reminded me. Ordered one with the TAKE50 code and it shipped today. Looking forward to my new toy. Thx to you & @QDude‌ for the heads up.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Should I hop on this train or should I wait for the next gen
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GreenWave36
    Options
    What else do you guys use this for? Just trying to think how practical it is before making the investment.
  • llrickman
    Options
    Can someone fill me in on how this works ? I watched the video. Fill pot with hot water , set timer etc. ok doesn't the water cool off long before the food is cooked? Larger more expensive ones I've seen are self contained and I assume maintain water temp this looks like it just circulates water. What the heck am I missing ? Maybe it's just early and I'm not awake yet Thanks.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    Don't these take the whole point out of owning a BGE?
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @llrickman These have a heating element as well as a circulating pump. They maintain water temp within +/- tenths of a degree.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    edited September 2014
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Can someone fill me in on how this works ? I watched the video. Fill pot with hot water , set timer etc. ok doesn't the water cool off long before the food is cooked? Larger more expensive ones I've seen are self contained and I assume maintain water temp this looks like it just circulates water. What the heck am I missing ? Maybe it's just early and I'm not awake yet Thanks.
    A sous vide circulator is like a very precise electric kettle, there is a heating element and a circulating pump (actually looks like a little propeller). Very precise temp control. There are two basic versions, the self contained (no circulation needed), like the demi supreme and circulators where you supply your own container, like ANOVA, Sansaire and Poly Science. A couple of years ago the lowest cost version was over $400, with volume sales, prices have come down substantially. Some like the self contained units, some like the smaller units. I had a couple of old stock pots, for me the ANOVA was a no brainer. 
    @hashissmokin - like all our cooking tools, does not replace the egg, just used for something different. The low cost has brought what had been in the domain of restaurants to the home chef. For many, a reverse sear provides a great steak. Slow even cooking allowing the smoke and rub to work some magic, then a blast of heat to sear. Sous vide refines this process allowing the seasoning to work in a sealed bag at very precise temps (there are methods to inject smoke), the internal temp is the edge to edge - no overcooked exterior. Finish is by fire in the egg, in CI pan or with a torch. 
  • llrickman
    Options
    Thank you @Skiddymarker‌ sounds like something is be very interested in :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don't these take the whole point out of owning a BGE?
    not unless you cook 100% of your meals on your BGE. I don't. It's just another tool in the toolbox. I use them together often but I probably prefer the pan sear finish better for most things.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Saw this thread a tad late. Tried this AM and none of the codes work.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Aviator said:
    Saw this thread a tad late. Tried this AM and none of the codes work.
    That's surprising.  They've been advertising the heck out of the $150 deal the past week or more.  I wonder if they're trying to get rid of remaining stock with the new version about to come out?  I got one of these a couple weeks ago, and the only annoyances so far are the lack of adjustable mount height and the big one: if you have a brown out, the unit stops "working".

i.e. My first attempt at using it, I realized I didn't have a deep enough pot...so I had to rig up an improvised mounting platform for the unit.  My second attempt, I'd gotten a 20L stock pot, which is a few inches deeper than needed.  That means I have to use a lot more water just to get the water level up in to the acceptable range on the unit.  On my first overnight cook, we must have had a brown out.  In the morning, I found the Anova was still "on", but was no longer circulating or heating, and the water bath had dropped from 145F to 125F.  They say this is normal.  I say it's short sighted stupid programming.  It would make a lot more sense in such a situation upon restoration of power, if the unit senses that its in a water bath close to the previously set temp (which it currently does remember), for the unit to ask if you want to cancel returning to the previous cooking setting.  No response on the touch screen after 30s = get back to cooking.  I didn't get sick eating the ribs...but I was a little concerned as I ate them.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    @Aviator you have PM!
    canuckland
  • llrickman
    Options
    I had one in the shopping cart to buy yesterday. Had to leave for an appt ,tried again this morning and no discount and no way i can justify buying it without it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Ordered mine 9-3, got it today. Excellent service. What would be a good first cook for a sv novice?

Say I sv a couple of ribeyes, how do I keep the vacuum packs submerged, or do they not float? Lots of questions before I risk some good steaks.

Eggo in N. MS