Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm finally free to cook again. Tonight's grub.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    SGH said:

A little snack to tide me over while the ribs rest and settle.image

Goddamnit... Now I want ice cream! Neopolitan? One of my favorites... :(
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @hapster‌
    It's one of my very favorites as well. I keep it on hand at all times. A man can't live on meat alone brother hap! ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hahahaha way to get back into the game in style SGH!!!! Glad your back brother. Was that the mini you were using to put that fireworks show on with those steaks? Beautiful cook as always my friend. :-bd
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Chilly. And yes that was the mighty mini in action my friend!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    It's great to be back my friend. Glad that you have returned as well brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• Life can take us away from time to time my friend, but good food will always bring us back.
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I could not have said it any better myself brother Chilly.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    And thus it was my friends.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Brothers and sisters it sure is good to be back home and cooking again. I hope that y'all all enjoyed tonight's small cook. But I assure that over the next few days that they will get larger. Much larger. It's great to be interacting with all you fine folks again as well. I truly missed it my friends. But now I'm back with a vengeance!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Bbquru‌
    Sorry my friend. Just saw your question about the rib timing. I really didn't have a set time planned out for them. Why? I loaded them with the steaks at 225 degrees to sit under heavy dense smoke for a while. I pulled the steaks at the 45 minute mark give or take a little. At this point with the ribs still hanging I ramped up the smoker temperature to 275 degrees. I let them run another 3 hours give or take a little. At this point I panned them with some beef broth and melted butter. Then I let them run close to a hour give or take a little. By my calculation total cook time was just shy of the 5 hour mark which is usually about spot on for BBRibs. Had I not been smoking the steaks I could have cut the rib cooking time a little by running 275 from start to finish. Again sorry for the delayed response. I assure you it was not intentional my friend. Thanks for looking and I'm glad that you enjoyed my return cook.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    That was truly a magnificent feast...and you call that a small cook. It would take me three weeks to be able to cook all that. Like one of our other fine forum friends said earlier thanks for all the recipes, insight, and pics. I've learned more in the past few weeks from everyone since joining the forum than I did since I started cooking many many years ago.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    @jcaspary‌
    Thank you for the very kind words my friend. I'm glad that you enjoyed my post. And you hit the nail on the head. This forum is a great place to learn recipes and cooking techniques. There are some very helpful people on here for sure. I have learned a lot as well in my short time on the forum. Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Nice work all around ! impressive cook and more impressive eating skills !!!
    I am a man that can appreciate a good large meal .
    AND I AM IMPRESSED !!!
    Toronto
  • SGH
    @pantsypants‌
    Thank you for the very kind words my friend. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy a large meal as well. Eating is my specialty brother pants!! Glad that you enjoyed my post.

Status- Standing by.

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    I am not worthy, well done sir! awesome cook!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • SGH
    @Aquacop‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. And you are more than worthy my brother.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @buzd504‌
    Brother I was out of buns. But I promise you that you will get to see what a giant cheese burger looks like after while my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Nice work.  and a great post to wake up to.  Welcome home, @SGH

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @thetrim‌
    Thank you both for the kind words and the welcome back my friend. It's great to be back for sure!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    After the cook was complete I took the opportunity while the big smoker was still hot to put 3 coats of seasoning on my new lodge pan. Killed 2 birds with one stone.image

Status- Standing by.

• Dang..When I saw the skillet going on, I thought you were still hungry..
    :-O     ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @SGH‌ that is outstanding! Great work. So much delicious looking food in one place, will you give yourself your own seal of approval? I would fully support that!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    @SGH‌ I just got a lodge CI Dutch oven. Any recommendations on how to season it?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Use the egg! I use shortening personally, just whatever you use heat the CI first and apply the fat on a hot pan and wipe everything off so it's a super thin layer and let that bake off (350ish indirect) for 30 to 45 minutes, then apply another coat the same way. I like to do 4-5 coats like that, though 3 should be plenty.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    @blind99‌
    Brother blind I have to earn the Mrs. SGH seal of approval. For this cook she awarded it to me!!!
    @tulocay‌
    Will be glad to. I use PAM spray for oil. I spray the pan down very well. Then try to wipe it off with paper towels. Don't worry no matter how much you wipe you will only wipe off the excess. Then I place the pan upside down in a 375 smoker, egg or oven. Doesn't matter which. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool and keep respecting until you achieve the desired coating that you desire. Nothing to it my friend. Also I prefer to do it outside on the smoker with oak wood. Why? The pan will pick up the oak smell and I love it!! Hope this helps my friend.

Thank you both for the kind words my friends. Glad that y'all enjoyed my cook.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @tulocay‌
    There are many different procedures that will yield good results. The one I use above is both simple and fool proof so I have stuck with it. Here is my 17" lodge seasoned with the same above method.image

Status- Standing by.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Those ribeyes look tasty :D
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    SGH said:

@blind99‌
    Brother blind I have to earn the Mrs. SGH seal of approval. For this cook she awarded it to me!!!
    @tulocay‌
    Will be glad to. I use PAM spray for oil. I spray the pan down very well. Then try to wipe it off with paper towels. Don't worry no matter how much you wipe you will only wipe off the excess. Then I place the pan upside down in a 375 smoker, egg or oven. Doesn't matter which. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool and keep respecting until you achieve the desired coating that you desire. Nothing to it my friend. Also I prefer to do it outside on the smoker with oak wood. Why? The pan will pick up the oak smell and I love it!! Hope this helps my friend.

Thank you both for the kind words my friends. Glad that y'all enjoyed my cook.

My wife banned me from seasoning in the oven due to the house smelling.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    @Phatchris‌
    Thank you brother Phat. I immediately inhaled 2 of them!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @yzzi‌
    I hear ya. You notice I did mine on my smoker to stay in good graces with Mrs. SGH :D

Status- Standing by.