Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Rib Advice...

I'm going to give baby back ribs another try tomorrow; so far really good ribs have eluded me. Usually I'd take food I cook on the Egg over restaurant food, but I haven't gotten close to really good restaurant quality ribs yet. I need a win here...any foolproof advice and recipes?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    How many times have you tried and what was your previous method. Rub, sauce, time, temp etc?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @grege345‌ I've probably tried baby backs five times and never had a "wow, those are good ribs" result. I use a dry rub and go low and slow, but I have tried using a crutch a couple of times.
  • grege345
    Are you looking for fall off the bone ribs or ones that the meat stays on. Only reason I ask is some people have a different interpretation of a good rib. My wife likes pull off the bone ribs and I don't. Not that there is anything wrong with it

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

cook 'em indirect at  220 for 4 hours and then start basting them with your favorite bbq sauce for about another hour and a half

put some beer in the drip pan. the aroma of slow cooked baby backs and beer cooking in the Big Green Egg is one of the best

also, on youtube, Dave Semovoski (sp?) put a couple of videos up on cooking new York strips- his first time on the BGE (that's what sold me) and then he did another one with baby back ribs.  Follow what he does and you can't go wrong.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I tried all ways and right now my favorite way is to cook 275 to 300 indirect until they pass the bend test. No foil, no sauce.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @grege345‌ I like just short of falling off the bone.
  • I have done this and we love them. you can use BB or St. Louis Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSFdddaRnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQ7g2EJMoM

give it  a try I think you will really say WOW!!

Brandon, MS
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872

I ve cooked bb ribs last weekend 3 .5 hours indirect 250 -300 heat first 2 hours on a rib rack then foiled them with apple cider for 1 hour took foil off then 30 min basting them with bbq sauce there were execelent  mine and wife opinion
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've done baby backs a bunch of ways, and have settled on... Dry rub of your choice. Even S&P, with a sprinkle of garlic salt works great. Cherry for smoke. 225-250 for about 5-6 hours until done. Occasionally, I will sauce for 15-30 minutes at the end, or provide some for dipping. I love them this way.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Like most everything else, there are many ways to get there from here.

What didn't you like about your ribs so far? Flavor, texture, something else?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816

IMO  a lot of it starts with the ribs you buy.  You want a very even rack and not too thick with baby backs.  That is very, very important. 

My method is 2 hrs indirect, then 2 hrs foiled with a splash of apple juice in the foil, and another half hour or so with no foil adding sauce.

I cant stress enough the purpose of buying a well uniformed, rack that is no too think, just my 2 cents

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• grege345
    Try this. 2 hours at 250-270 with hickory/apple blend. After two hours lay out some foil and put a couple of pads of butter topped with some honey and brown sugar. Pull ribs off grill and put meat side down on the foil and wrap good. Make sure you have enough to overlap seam. Then put wrapped ribs back on. Make sure when you pull ribs off you keep lid closed while you foil. Let the foiled up ribs go an hour. A hair over wouldn't be the end of the world. So now you can pull the ribs off and un wrap. Be careful. Let the ribs go another 1/2 hour unwrapped. This is where I lay some sauce on them. Nothin fancy just whatever I have on hand. Go another 1/2 hour sauced. Now it's time to check for done ness. Bend test. Toothpick test. Thermopen. Enjoy

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Basic BBs. 4 hours bones down, indirect @250 with Apple and hickory smoke. I use mustard and sweet rub o mine on my ribs because it is more delicate than say bad Byron's. I like a little less kick on my ribs than say butts. That said, there are a million other variations. If you like ribs wet, take off an hour and foil for 30 mins with your ingredients of choice etc. 4 hrs bone down at 250 is standard dry rib for baby backs.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Basic BBs. 4 hours bones down, indirect @250 with Apple and hickory smoke. I use mustard and sweet rub o mine on my ribs because it is more delicate than say bad Byron's. I like a little less kick on my ribs than say butts. That said, there are a million other variations. If you like ribs wet, take off an hour and foil for 30 mins with your ingredients of choice etc. 4 hrs bone down at 250 is standard dry rib for baby backs.
    pretty much the same for me. around 4 hours I check how they're beginning to bend. usually just starting. if so, a light brush w. some oil and a 2nd dusting of rub. usually done by 5 hours. Meat almost always comes clean off the bone.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2014
    For god's sake man, You are from Texas. Cook a manly food like beef. If you want to eat baby backs, go to chil's or move to Memphis. Ribs are for people who don't have access to huge chunks of beef. I say all this because I suck at cooking ribs too and it hides my shame.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokeyj said:

I tried all ways and right now my favorite way is to cook 275 to 300 indirect until they pass the bend test. No foil, no sauce.

This right here. Simplicity. Always good results. I do, however, usually sauce one rack with a bbq sauce of choice mixed with some honey, just to give everybody options.

Little Rock, AR