Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Challenge...Rump Roast...

Options
Grillian
Grillian Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got into a pinch and couldn't find any brisket and was talked into a rump roast by the butcher. He didn't claim they were equal but that he had aged it and it would smoke nicely, so i thought it's worth a shot. Hopefully this won't be mistake number one of the weekend... Anyway, details: Considering injecting with a basic meat brine and coating with a rub overnight. I read mix temps of when to pull, some say 130-140 and then foil, while others say 160, even 200. I guessing the cooler temps are for slicing meat with the hotter temps being for chopping meat?? Anyone have thoughts on this? Unfortunately this doesn't have a good fat cap, so thinking about just laying a bunch of bacon on top? So folks say to smoke the entire time while others mentioned basting every hour, others say to smoke to a certain temp then cook remaining in a dutch oven with a broth.
So has anyone had success with this cut? If so, am I on the right track?

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    clayq's pulled beef recipe is excellent. i've tried it twice in three weeks.
  • Grillian
    Grillian Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds good, long, but good. Wonder how much difference would be notice between doing this with a rump roast versus a chuck roast? Did you follow the directions the same of were there steps different for you?
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I'd do exactly the same with those two cuts.

Doug
  • Knb
    Knb Posts: 9
    Options
    Grillian said:
    Got into a pinch and couldn't find any brisket and was talked into a rump roast by the butcher. He didn't claim they were equal but that he had aged it and it would smoke nicely, so i thought it's worth a shot. Hopefully this won't be mistake number one of the weekend... Anyway, details: Considering injecting with a basic meat brine and coating with a rub overnight. I read mix temps of when to pull, some say 130-140 and then foil, while others say 160, even 200. I guessing the cooler temps are for slicing meat with the hotter temps being for chopping meat?? Anyone have thoughts on this? Unfortunately this doesn't have a good fat cap, so thinking about just laying a bunch of bacon on top? So folks say to smoke the entire time while others mentioned basting every hour, others say to smoke to a certain temp then cook remaining in a dutch oven with a broth.
    So has anyone had success with this cut? If so, am I on the right track?

• Knb
    Options
    I wanted to try a chuck roast the other day by a challenge from neighbor. I indirect cooked for about 3 hours 300 degrees and then put in dutch oven for final time of another 3 to 4 hours. Turned out great. Ate some then made a tremendous stew in crock pot that my wife loved and so did neighbors. 
  • Knb
    Options
    Rump roast on sale at Winn Dixie going to try same way of indirect then dutch oven with broth.