Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump vs. Charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought my first Big Green Egg. I asked the dealer if he sold lump & he gave me a bag of Royal Oak charcoal & said that it was the same thing. He didn't charge me for it, but is there a big difference between lump & this stuff?

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    jhgnag,
    Same stuff. In fact, BGE lump is made by Royal Oak.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    jhgnag,[p]First of all let me say that you are attacking this with the right attitude when you say, "I just bought my first Big Green Egg." Like many others on this forum, your Egg may soon need additional Eggs as companions.[p]As for the lump vs. charcoal part, this may just be an issue of confusing terminology. What many call lump is really short for "lump charcoal" and what many call charcoal is short for "charcoal briquetes." Lump charcoal is all natural wood charcoal and usually appears in the form of randomly shaped and sized pieces. Charcoal briquets are processed with additives and compressed into uniformly sized briquets.[p]If the Royal Oak to which you refer says something like "natural wood charcoal" and appears as various shapes and sizes, it's actually lump. Further, from what I understand, Royal Oak actually makes and packages BGE Lump Charcoal and BGE simply brands it as "BGE brand." So, you may actually have the same stuff. I often use those red/orange bags of Royal Oak lump since it is available at a supermarket which is local to me and since my nearest BGE dealer is a half hour or so away.[p]Hope this helps,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]Beat me to it and you compressed my verbose answer by about 10000%.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed,[p]Thanks guys! Very helpful. I'm sure I'll be asking you more later. I bought the Beast Sunday, but the guy forgot the hinge. He reopens tomorrow, so it's safe to say that we'll be grillin' tomorrow.'[p]jhgnag

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    jhgnag,
    Ask anything you want and we are here to help.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I just read your answer...a very nice explanation!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    JJ,
    But don't be confused by the fact that Royal Oak also makes hard wood briquets. Almost bought a few bags at Gordons at a great price till I actually saw what they were.

• MAC,[p]How do you know the difference?

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    jhgnag,
    Says it right on the bag. Hard wood charcoal Briquets

• MAC,[p]I think that it says Natural Hardwood Charcoal. It's in a red bag.