Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coleslaw recipe

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only made coleslaw once and it wasn't so good. Anybody have a good recipe out there? Thanks

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    cutlet,
    There are more coleslaw recipes than you can shake a stick at... Basically they come down to a vinegary dressing, or a creamy dressing. Which would you like to make? (It would also help to know what about yours was "not so good".)[p]Ken

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    cutlet,[p]A friend made the Napa Salad listed below. It was great![p]NAPA SALAD[p]One package of broccoli slaw
    One package of angel hair slaw
    1 cup of sliced almonds, toasted
    Small package of sunflower seeds
    Two packages of Beef Ramon Noodle Soup[p]
    DRESSING
    Make the dressing a day ahead.
    Mix the soup mix with one cup of oil (not olive oil)
    ½ cup apple cider vinegar
    ½ cup sugar[p]At last minute toss all the ingredients including the noodles crunched or crushed. Not good leftover as noodles get soggy. [p]This feeds a good number of people. Easily feeds 10 I would say

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    That is good stuff, Damon. We use a variation of that recipe (Ramen chicken instead of beef). We use 3/4 cup safflower oil and 1/4 cup sesame oil and substitute toasted sesame seeds for the sunflower seeds. Kinda gives it a more "Asian" flavor.[p]Jim
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    cutlet,
    We've started buying our slaw in a Cold Slaw Kit, found in the bagged salad section. Just dump in a bowl, pour the contents of the sauce over it and serve. It's better if you let it set for a few hours in the frig to let the sauce soak in. I think it is produced by Garden Fresh. Very inexpensive and tasty. We eat it on BBQ sandwiches, hotdogs, hamburgers and as a side for other meals. [p]Spring "Eat'n Bushes" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    JSlot,[p]Definately not your regular cole slaw!![p]See ya in Atlanta!
  • guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    cutlet,[p]My grandmother would always use Marzetti's (sp?) and we loved it![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    cutlet,
    Equal parts Miracle Whip, Cider Vinegar and granulated Sugar. You could start with 1/2 cup of each.[p]This is the recipe for KFC and almost the same one Chick Fil A usues. You can add a little celery seed if you'd like.

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    cutlet,
    Go to the link below, type in cole slaw and I guarantee you'll see something you'll like.

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com[/ul]

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    dawgtired,
    As a follow up and if you believe that simpler is better, as I do, then try this. It's actually the easiest of the many cole slaws I've made and also one of the best. This is light as opposed to some heavy mayo base slaws.[p]1/4 C red wine vinegar
    2 Tbsp sugar
    2 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
    1 Sack (16 oz) shredded cabbage
    1 tsp salt
    celery seeds[p]salt and pepper[p]Mix vinegar and sugar. Add oil. Add cabbage to dressing and season with salt and pepper. Toss with fingers to combine. Add celery seeds and adjust seasonings. Let stand for 20 minutes. Re-toss and serve.[p]

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• cutlet,
    Cole slaw is like potato salad in that everyone has their favorite version. If you want to make a regular, good slaw that you can alter to your taste, you might try this simple recipe:[p]1) Cabbage, green. Can use also carrots, red cabbage, if you like). [p]2) Core the cabbage (slice into fourths and cut out the hard stem stuff) and slice thinly (by hand, with machine, grater, or whatever). Add grated carrots, red cabbage, if you wish.[p]3) Put the above in a large bowl and mix in mayonnaise (like Helmann's or whatever you grew up on) to coat.[p]4) In separate bowl mix approximately 1 part vinegar (apple cider or white) and 1 1/2 parts plain granulated sugar. Mix to dissolve sugar (you can add more or less sugar as you wish).[p]5) add as much of 4 to 3 as you wish and taste to adjust. [p]6) Add salt and/or celery seed and/or anything else you'd like. [p]7) Add more sugar, vinegar or mayonnaise to your liking.[p]8) Refrigerate, if you have time.[p]9) Serve.[p]Note: Cabbage will give off liquid as it sits in the dressing you made, so you don't need to bathe the slaw with the liquid. If you like it dryer or crisper, serve it sooner after mixing. If you like it more creamy and wilted, let it sit for a while. Take some notes and modify as you wish for the next time.[p]Good luck![p]BOB

• wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    cutlet,
    Here is the recipe for the KFC slaw. It's the only kind I eat and I have yet to try anything better. Instead of buying the cabbage and carrots, I just get the colesaw mix in a bag (bag salad section) and chop it up.[p]Recipe By : Copy Cat Web Site
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:20
    Categories : Coleslaw

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 head cabbage -- finely chopped
    1 medium carrot -- shredded
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 tablespoon pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Be sure the cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces about the
    size of rice kernels. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, butte
    rmilk, vinegar and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Add the cabbage and carr
    ots and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

• Not only is this recipe great it's simple to make. If you like KFC slaw you will love it. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    holy time machine Batman!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's some stone age shiznit. ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Mine is like @The Reverand‌ but I add a little katsup .Red pepper flakes. And a little of the rub I'm using that day.last weekend it was Memphis meathead.image

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • henapple said:
    That's some stone age shiznit. ...
    I hear ya! To good not to recycle
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

Simple BBQ slaw:

1 Head of Cabbage, chopped

2 large Carrots, shredded

2 tsp celery seed (NOT Celery salt)

1 TBSP each of salt and pepper

2 OZ by volume white vinegar

1 cup Mayo

1 cup sour cream

1 cup plain yogurt

mix all together, let sit in fridge for at least three hours before serving

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited September 2014
    When I make coleslaw to be used on pull pork sandwiches I buy the premix law at my business Costco. What I put in this slaw is my Texas style vinegar-based barbecue sauce. I do not mix in a lot of the barbecue sauce but just enough to give it a little bit of the sauce flavor. I did this just as a test a couple of years ago and ever since this is what I use and everyone loves it
  • Amazingribs.com has a great vinegar base slaw. Sweet and Sour, I think that's what he calls it.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.