Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid question about the BGE Thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a few pork butts tonight and noticed that the dome was 300 while the grill was (via the maverick) 210. The maveric probe got roasted to 500 one day by accident, so I was assuming it was off kilter a bit. However, when I put the 2 in boiling water, the maveric was at 212 and the BGE was at 250! [p]Here's the stupid question part... I know you're all waiting... Do I just turn the little nut in the back of the thermometer to callibrate it? Can I let it cool and drop it 40 degrees, or is the error proportional?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed

Comments

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Ed in TX, Turn the nut on the back until it reads the correct temp, i check mine regularly

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    I would adjust it and then submerge back in the water to check... repeat as needed until needle is at 212. [p]On another note... In the industry, most dial temperature gauges are typically most accurate in the middle third of their range so on a BGE 0-750 the most accurate area would be 250-500. Checking at 212 is acceptable and easy to do at home and is near enough to the middle range for our needs.
    HTH,
    wrobs

• wrobs,[p]<a href=http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate target=_blank>How To Calibrate Your Thermometer</a>

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    I agree with all the others....I do add one little extra step though. I have taken a permanent marker with a thin felt, and marked a line on the back of the thermometer and another on the nut. This way, I can tell if the nut has slipped at all - I just make sure the two lines match up.[p]The funny thing is, now I have 3-4 different lines on the back....about everytime I calibrate, I have to draw new ones. :-) It does keep me really close though.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• PeterInSeattle
    Options
    Ed in TX,
    Once calibrated for 212, I insert the therometer through a one-half inch of cork (from a wine bottle -- real cork, not the new "plastic" corks). And then reinsert the therometer into the egg. This half-inch between the face of the egg and the back of the therometer seems to prevent the therometer from going out of calibration for a long time. (I just tested mine again after three months and it was sitting at 210.) Whether this is due to the cork preventing the nut from moving or the cork acting as a heat shield between the egg and the back of the therometer, or ??? -- I don't know. But it seems to work.