Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Large egg too small to do pizza on?

Options
I'm new, still trying to decide if I should spend the extra cash and get the XL or not. I'm sure the Large will be big enough for me until I think about making pizza on it, which I plan to do a lot more then smoke large cuts or large quantities of meats. 18-24" of cooking area correct? So I can probably only do a 16" pie on the Large and a 22" on the XL? Or am I not thinking correctly?

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have a large and do 13" pies on my stone with no problem... it turns out so good, I've never had anyone complain about the size of the slices LOL

Plus, you will be likely making more than one pie when you decide to do a pizza night :)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    No, the large is fine for pizza. Where the xl is going to shine for you is real estate for flipping and multiple items like burgers brats corn ABT. Or if you need to do a couple of butts brisket or turkeys. I like plenty of real estate when i cook so to me the xl makes sense. I have a family of five though. I think there is also another side to it which others have alluded to. The more you egg, and if you like using it, the more you want to. Then you invite neighbors or family over more often. You volunteer to cook for the company potluck etc. there is also another facto and this is just me, i dont want to fool around stacking grates. I want it on one level and easy to get at. If it takes more lump which i dont think it does, that is ok. As far as pizza, no issue
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 large works perfectly for any cook ya throw at it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    Pizza on the LBGE are awesome....
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You are correct that 16 inches is as big as you would want to go on the large, but a 16 inch pizza is pretty big.  Honestly I'm not sure I would want to deal with pies any bigger than that.  It's easier to deal with smaller pies and make multiple like @Hapster said.  They cook quickly. 

There are certainly reasons to consider the XL over the L, but I'm not sure pizza should be a major consideration.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I have a large and it is fine for pizza.  I have yet to hit one out of the park but they are pretty good none the less.  I have a family of 5 though and wish I got the XL.   I can cook all the burgers, chicken, brats, steaks...that I like but it stops there.  If I want to make corn, asparagus, ABT's, stuffed mushrooms...it ends there.  Maybe #2.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    The large has plenty of room for a pizza...

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I agree with you.  I prefer a full size pie even though cooking individual small pies can be fun.

I have a 16" stone on my large.  It works out pretty well.
    I think if I were to do it all over again I would have given the XL a look, though.  I'm not sure how much more lump you go through on cooks, though.  Lump isn't cheap (you'll find) and a bigger egg may need more lump to hold a temp.   That said, I'm very happy with my large and only wish I had an XL when I'm doing multiple racks of ribs or in the future when I'm doing several butts at a time.

Here is a 16" stone on my large;

LBGE/Maryland
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The 16'' pizza stone work good on the LBGE?  i use my 13'' that i got with my spider and AR but would really like a larger stone for pizzas always seem the be burning one edge slightly that hangs over

Looks lke the largest BGE sells for the large is a 14''

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Most of my pizzas are done in the oven. The novelty wore off of doing pizzas on the large and mini. I will do em but prefer oven and 30 min preheat of the stone.
    Seattle, WA
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Most of my pizzas are done in the oven. The novelty wore off of doing pizzas on the large and mini. I will do em but prefer oven and 30 min preheat of the stone.
    I refuse to turn on my oven when ts 95 degrees and i have a swamp cooler its a new one and works well but its still a swamper
    :D
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I would not make a Large v XL decision based on Pizza. I would base it whether or not you're a 2 turkey, 2 briskets, 4 butts kind a guy or not. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    16" pie on a LBGE is pushing it if you raise the pie into the dome to help with browning the toppings. At felt line, a 16" stone allows only 1" of air flow space around the stone, raised a couple of inches into the dome and your air flow might be reduced by 50% - not good. 
    A 14" or 15" stone is about right for a LBGE IMO. For my MBGE, I use a 13" and if needed make two or three pies. Smaller are easier to handle and provides a variety of toppings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • llrickman
    Options
    Thank you @Skiddymarker i was kind of thinking that. I need another stone anyway so i might look into that BGE 14''
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    With my 16" pizza stone sitting 2" above the felt line on my LBGE, there is about 1.5" of air flow space around the stone.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    ...At felt line, a 16" stone allows only 1" of air flow space around the stone...
    For what it's worth, I measured before I used my 16" in my large.  The L egg actually has a 19.25" interior diameter which gives plenty of extra space around the stone at grate level with over 1.5" on each side.  That's enough FOR ME.  Your mileage may vary....I understand that.  ;)

Seems consistent with what jtcBoynton measured.  Here is a picture of mine below.  (I put newspaper down at the time because I was going to return it if it was too tight.)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Searat
    Options
    Mcfire12 respectfully, you're thinking in a limited box. Once you take the time to set up the BGE and bring your stone up to temperature, the pie cooks in 6 to 8 minutes (650 - 700 F). We cook multiples at a time. Each pie is custom to member wants. My family preps the second while the first pie cooks. Then they prep the third pie and eat the first pie while the second one cooks. I bought 2 peels for handling the multiple pie process.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    I cook pizzas on the small using a 12 inch stone and works great
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    The large is perfect for 13" - 15" pizzas.  If you want to make several pizzas at the same time, buy a second large Egg.   The second Egg will definitely be handy in the future when you decide to do things other than pizza.  I wouldn't make my Egg purchase based on pizza.  There are so many phenomenal things you can do with an Egg - including pizza - I wouldn't make my size selection based on a single food.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • jerryb78
    Options
    Unless you're already a pro at doing pizzas, a 22" pie might be pretty tough for you to handle.  I've made a ton of pizzas on the large now with good results.  You can crank them out pretty fast once it's up to temp if you start assembling pie #2 while pie #1 is cooking.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It's big enough for me

image    image

image    image

image   image

image   image

image   image

Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I would never fire up the egg for just one pizza.  Actually, I would never make just one pizza.  As long as you're not trying to make a pie with $35 worth of exotic toppings, it's cheap to make the second, third...

Making a few extra pies is not the same as a making a few extra briskets for both cost and time.  Pizza cooks quickly, brisket, ribs, butts, not so much.  I say get the large if pizza is the concern.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    I have a large and it is fine for pizza.  I have yet to hit one out of the park but they are pretty good none the less.  I have a family of 5 though and wish I got the XL.   I can cook all the burgers, chicken, brats, steaks...that I like but it stops there.  If I want to make corn, asparagus, ABT's, stuffed mushrooms...it ends there.  Maybe #2.

I would suggest that you get an AR. It gave me the extra room for the things you mentioned, plus you can make Pizza higher in the dome. @Mcfire12‌ this is something you may want to consider. Get a large and buy an AR as opposed to an XL. I think it would result in a lower cost overall. Good luck with your decision. Also, welcome to the board.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    @Legume said "I would never fire up the egg for just one pizza". Hell, I've fired up the Egg for just one hot dog.
    Options
    Large is great for pizza. We made 10 pies one night for a party.
    LBGE - Southern Maryland
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Searat said:
    Mcfire12 respectfully, you're thinking in a limited box. Once you take the time to set up the BGE and bring your stone up to temperature, the pie cooks in 6 to 8 minutes (650 - 700 F). We cook multiples at a time. Each pie is custom to member wants. My family preps the second while the first pie cooks. Then they prep the third pie and eat the first pie while the second one cooks. I bought 2 peels for handling the multiple pie process.

I agree completely. Rapid turnaround. Pizza night takes on a whole new dimension when the players can assemble their own.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

@Legume said "I would never fire up the egg for just one pizza". Hell, I've fired up the Egg for just one hot dog.

I love it - but i call BS on the one hot dog!

What I meant to say is that I'd never cook just one pizza. Firing the egg isn't the prob, one pizza just doesn't make sense to me...ever...no matter how large.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    A true Chicago Deep Dish, cooking for 2 people, no need to do more than one. One is enough for dinner tonight, lunch tomorrow and a snack during the week. And more than once, on Saturday at home alone, I've fired it up for a dog or a single burger for lunch.
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    It is perfect for pies

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• llrickman
    Options
    Legume said:
    I love it - but i call BS on the one hot dog! What I meant to say is that I'd never cook just one pizza. Firing the egg isn't the prob, one pizza just doesn't make sense to me...ever...no matter how large.

Lol I was gonna say the same thing. I've fired mind up off a couple hamburgers before.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM