Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse reverse sear question

Options
Last weekend I seasoned and froze ny strips then cooked reverse sear....unbelievable steaks. My question is should I gauge the doneness in the strip side or filet on a porterhouse, any suggestions. I'm pulling off at 110 before the sear with a goal of 125 post sear. Thanks for any advice Shane

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

As you probably know the portion of meat closest to the bone cooks the slowest.  It is hard to keep the edge of the meat from overcooking while you wait for the portion next to the bone to heat up.  So, the lower your roasting temperature, the better off you will be.  I usually cook Porterhouses caveman style and just accept that some of the edge meat will be a little overdone, the majority of the meat will be medium (my goal) and the portion next to the bone will be a little more rare that I find ideal, but still excellent.  Over the years I have found that if the filet portion has some size to it (which defines the Porterhouse vs the T-bone) then it is the filet side that is usually (but not always) least cooked.  However, on T-bones which have a smaller filet it is usually the strip. 

So, ideally you probably want a Thermopen to check both.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i would pay more attention to the strip side as it toughens up quickly after 125. i dont usually cook porterhouse and buy the tbone or sometimes they will cut that fillet off for me and call it a 7 bone stripsteak
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Awesome advice.....makes sense thank you