Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options
Thanks to the posts over this past weekend, I jordered the $149 Anova sous vide.   It's coming tomorrow and I don't have any idea what to do with it.  The enthusiasm of this forum and my desire to have every gadget known to man made it impossible for me to not own one.  But now SWMBO is questioning what I'm going to do with it.  HELP. I need to have some ammunition here.
What's the go-to sous vide recipe?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Spend some time, and check out the e-gullet.org posts on sous vide. Couple of hundred pages there, tho' most is in excruciating detail.

Many, many good thing. As you probably noticed during the last few days, there was a thread on SV beef short ribs. Generally spectacular.

Most recently, I had some exceptional steelhead trout. It was pretty good quality, frozen but only a few weeks old. Brined for 10 minutes in a 10% by weight brine. Halts albumin formation.

Then into a bag w. pepper, thyme, and EVOO. SV'd at 122F for 15 min. Then a minute or two, skin side down, in a searing CI skillet. Fish butter tender.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just take a few boneless skinless chicken breast and cook them with no seasoning or anything for 2 hrs at 147 degrees. Pull them out, salt, pepper and hard sear in a pan or your egg for 30-45 second a side and eat. There is no simpler way to see what SV can do for you. if you like egss, doing softboiled eggs is really cool too. They are totally safe and pasteurized but soft as custard. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I would start simple and see what it's capable of doing. Start with a few chicken breasts individually wrapped with nothing but salt on them. Set your temp to 131 and cook them for 3 hours. Take out one breast, season like normal and sear. Bump the temp with the remaining breasts to 133 for 30 min, take out the next, Season/sear. Then bump to 135, then 137, then 140 and figure out what you like. They will all be different, but 131-140 is drastically different IMO.

It's a great way to play with temps on something that really shows it's capabilities. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    http://www.chefsteps.com/ is a good resource.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975