Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in chicken thighs -- help needed

Options
Hey fellas (and ladies)

I have bone in chicken thighs. Thinking of raised direct at 400 until they get to 165. Reasonable? Or should I put in the plate setter? Go!
Lubbock, TX
Large BGE

Comments

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    Raised direct 375-400 is good. I'd cook the thighs to 180 though.
    Aurora,OH
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I go raised direct.
    Kemah, TX
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    180 degrees?  Explains the nervous in your screen name LOL.......just kidding 180 is too overdone for me though, Always do dark meat to 165 ish,  Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    165 for me too, anything more and they start to dry out. I usually let them rest for about 10 minutes when pulled.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm with @NervousDad on temp for poultry dark meat. Breast no higher than 160*, carryover to 165*. Dark neat is "done" at 165*, but I prefer the texture of 180+. IMHO the dark meat won't dry out until much higher.
    Couldn't agree more with you, Turkey or Chicken, I follow that rule and it has never let me down.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    180-185 for legs/thighs here too. 400 raised direct.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    My wife intended to get boneless skinless chicken thighs at Sams but came home with bone-in mamma jammas. Whatever -- it was 8 bucks for 16 of them -- enough for 3 meals. That's what is so wonderful with the egg. you can make cheap pieces of meat into awesome meals.

I ended up doing 375-400 driect until 165. End result? Delicious. If I have to make those chicken thighs for someone in the future I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed.

On a side note -- I totally get letting thighs get to 185. While they were done at 165 I almost wished they had gone a little longer to firm up.

On a side note to the side note -- Mickey's Coffee Rub is the most amazing stuff. It makes everything taste like meat candy. It's very unique and that's what makes it so great. I've never eaten anything that tastes like that -- sweet and aromatic and earthy.

I don't have any finished pics but here they are on the egg. It was a great Saturday evening -- cooking on the egg and swilling cold Lone Stars from a trashy coozy after an afternoon of working in the yard on a landscaping project.

Will

Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like buying the thighs bone-in with skin, I then de-bone them so I can cook them at work in a foreman griller, but still with the skin on.  I also save the bones to use in making chicken stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jfine1
    jfine1 Posts: 87
    Options
    Try them over the plate setter at 250 with some wet wood chips on the coals. Leave them on for 90 minutes, don't touch them and don't turn them. Perfect and a great use of the egg!!
  • shccbone
    Options
    Does the skin get crisp enough at 250 over the plate setter?
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    The last time I cooked thighs about 2 weeks ago I cooked indirect at 350° and the skin was not near as crispy as when I did them raised direct at 350. I believe 400 would be better raised direct.  I was cooking some veggies with the wings last time and chose to go indirect, won't do that again.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I really like slow and high!  275-295 raised direct.  No less than 2 hours.  Watch out for hot spots in the lump.  Flipping only once works too-  Fantastic for any chicken on the bone.  Skin so crispy its like a chip with no air drying or other modifications.  

If you really want to take it up to professional grade, give the bird parts a soak in buttermilk & herbs or rub overnight and then cook-  here is a plated pic of one naked, and one dipped in panko.  Egg no-fry chicken.

Good Luck-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Here is a great guide to bone in skin on chicken thighs http://deadspin.com/how-to-barbecue-chicken-thighs-a-guide-for-people-who-5939738
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Here is a great guide to bone in skin on chicken thighs http://deadspin.com/how-to-barbecue-chicken-thighs-a-guide-for-people-who-5939738

@Tjcoley‌ That was a hilarious read - thanks for linking!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I did some not raised (forgot to put my bricks in).  Around 400°.  Applied glaze near the ends.  They were pretty awesome!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas on boneless skinless thighs? I was thinking of stuffing with spinach and cheese. Would like to hear any success stories or anything unique people have done? Thanks. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Love chicken thighs raised direct around 375ish. Good crispy skin. I like Pig Pounda Kappa as the rub.

@tarheelmatt, those taters look really good. How long do you let them cook in the skilet?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I personally prefer to cook my yardbird indirect but either works fine.  I like to use the plate setter and a raised grid if possible, so they cook high in the dome.  I am also in the 180 camp for dark meat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Love chicken thighs raised direct around 375ish. Good crispy skin. I like Pig Pounda Kappa as the rub.

@tarheelmatt, those taters look really good. How long do you let them cook in the skilet?
    @ksmyrl roughly 30-40 mins until toothpick will slide in easily.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site