Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu or Dry Aged Prime?

Options
I'm looking for a place to purchase either steak (filet, cowboy, or bone-in ribeye) online for delivery.  Any places I should look other than SRF or lobels?  @NPHuskerFL, is there any places local that carry these meats that you know of?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Creekstone Farms and Pat LaFreida are two others.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Is this for a one time try or are you planning for this to be your new way of buying? If once then go Waygu. If not find yourself a source for dry aged beef, if you don't want to age it yourself. That way in the long run you will get hooked on dry aged beef and never look back to crappy inferior beef!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    @rrp it will be my first, so I plan on wagyu...I would however, like to learn about dry aging myself.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    if you drive south in the state theres -the meat house- in winter park. they used to be great up here but the owners up here didnt seem to know they had to pay their bills, taxes etc
    :)) might be an option but i would call first, they used to cut to order at about 22 dollars a pound for 42 day dry aged ribeye
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fusionhq
    Options
    @rrp, whats your experience purchasing wagyu online...who's best?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    @rrp, whats your experience purchasing wagyu online...who's best?
    Sorry - I can't help you as I have never purchased any Wagyu.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @fusionhq‌ I'm sure there are local private butchers that have or can get it for you. I don't have any in mind that I could refer to you.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fusionhq
    Options
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Options
    I just order a brisket from these folks.  Never nice and helpful.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-style-wagyu-kobe-beef/

Read the review from http://www.nibblemethis.com/
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Options
    OPPS! typing error should be Very nice and helpful.

Sorry

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Another SRF wagyu brisket endorsement here.  However, the shipping costs can be a bit of a shock.  I used the two-day to Louisville, KY and it was still well frozen upon arrival.  Extremely well-packed.  Wish I could justify for more than once or twice a year, but quite a treat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Another SRF wagyu brisket endorsement here.  However, the shipping costs can be a bit of a shock.  I used the two-day to Louisville, KY and it was still well frozen upon arrival.  Extremely well-packed.  Wish I could justify for more than once or twice a year, but quite a treat.
    I'd get the 2-pack for brisket and stick on in the freezer for later. Shipping is only 20 bucks more for me.
  • fusionhq
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I'm curious about steaks as well..tomahawk, filet, cowboy...what do you recommend? and where do I buy it?!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    Thanks guys!! I'm curious about steaks as well..tomahawk, filet, cowboy...what do you recommend? and where do I buy it?!
    All the places listed above. Those are "prestige" cuts so you'll pay the mark-up too.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    While I can see the novelty of trying a cut such as waygu, but no way would I spend that kind of money that just gonna turn to poo in the end. :-O

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• BGE Convert
    Options

@fusionhq.....if you have access to Wegmans they sell Wagyu style beef...if you have to go online I would go with with SRF...both NibbleMeThis and Pattio Daddio blog sites have raved about their products whether it be Wagyu style of beef or Kurobota/Berkshire style pork.....Those are legit people to take recommendations from....

@gamason....why do you refer to wagyu as a novelty.....the product is very distinguished from regular prime grade beef....you can see and taste the difference which is the reason for the increase in cost.....I had the opportunity to have a legit A4 Kobe grade steak while I was in Vegas....8 oz of this rich steak was more than enough and it was quite an experience that I would be willing to pay for again the next time I go.....I did not view this as a novelty that I just had to try such as "having to visit Alcatraz when vacationing in San Fran." it was an awesome treat that I look forward to having again.....just my 2 cents on the matter...   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited September 2014
    Options
    To each his own.  It's your $$$$ spend it on what you want.  I bet that stuff is amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fusionhq‌
    Brother fusion I have had outstanding results dealing with SRF. I highly recommend them. There are certainly other excellent distributors out there as well. But as of late I have stayed with SRF for their expeditious service. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed brother fusion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    BGEGP said:

OPPS! typing error should be Very nice and helpful.

Sorry

Damn you. I read that article twice trying to find the bad stuff about SRF. You owe me five minutes back.

Little Rock, AR

• fusionhq
    Options
    @sgh thanks for the rec. What's your favorite steak from them?
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    They have several that I like. I'm really fond of the rib steak or bone in ribeye if you will. A little pricey no doubt, but money very well spent nonetheless. You will not be disappointed brother fusion. Trust me.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @fusionhq‌
    The gold grade ribeye cap is in a league of its own as well. It's a must try my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• fusionhq
    Options
    Awesome!! Coming up on our 7 year next week, so may call for a SRF. She prefers filet, I'm a ribeye guy!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    fusionhq said:

Awesome!! Coming up on our 7 year next week, so may call for a SRF. She prefers filet, I'm a ribeye guy!

Thats a good idea! My ten year is the 18th, I may do the same. Thanks.

Little Rock, AR

• fusionhq
    Options
    Going to be better than the Ruth cris or capital grille we have. Nice bottle of wine. Maybe a martini. We'll see.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My oldest boys birthday (7) is same day as our anniversary so we usually dont get to do much. But i figure tenth is pretty special (especially her putting up with my dumbass) so I'm
    Gonna do something nice for her.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @fusionhq‌
    Go to SRF website. Then:
    Look under Double R Ranch and then select Popular Favorites for the rib steaks brother fusion. They are awesome!!

Status- Standing by.

• fusionhq
    Options
    @sgh. You're the man.
  • SGH
    Options
    @fusionhq‌
    Always glad to help a brother out. Please try that rib eye cap as well if you can. Phenomenal brother fusion. Just phenomenal.

Status- Standing by.