Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IQ120 BBQ Pit Controller

Options
Does anyone have one of these or has used one before? Its not a bad price on Amazon at $199.99. I am thinking of getting one down the road to make my night cooks go better. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ED2KUBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LH1RPMASBL6X&coliid=I20LK999CQZHAG
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Contact @stlcharcoal ... Have him quote you a price. I bought mine thru him. Great price and service.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Contact @stlcharcoal ... Have him quote you a price. I bought mine thru him. Great price and service.
    Dittos.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Another thumbs up for @stlcharcoal.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mtasker
    Options

I have one, love it.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Another thumbs up for @stlcharcoal.

Ditto.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RickyBobby
    Options

Yeah baby! Glad I left an impression ... that was my whole goal!

In all seriousness though, for the price and features that come with the iq120, you can not go wrong. I promise. Do yourself a favor and contact @stlcharcoal‌
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I bought a PartyQ from him.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    How does it compare to the Guru? I know the Guru is twice as much, but does it do more?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have the DigiQ DX2. My concern about the IQ 220 is: The end of the hose could get all gunked up with Creosote after multiple uses affecting the airlfow. If the fan goes you would have to replace the entire unit. With the DigiQ DX2 you just replace the Pit Viper. The build quality , looks like plastic on the 120 vs metal on the Digiq DX2. From the reviews I have read it looks like the 110 and 120 work well, the accuracy may not be up to par as the higher priced units and the build quality is not as good as the DigiQ.
  • busmania
    Options
    Yep, what everyone else said.  I love mine for low n slows and overnight cook.  there is a slight learning curve so that the temps don't spike too much or drop too much but its pretty easy.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    My iq120 is very accurate! It is always right where I set it ... to the exact degree. Honestly, how can that not be any more accurate?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The IQ uses RTD temperature probes vs thermocouples used in gurus.  RTDs are more accurate than thermocouples. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I have the DigiQ DX2. My concern about the IQ 220 is: The end of the hose could get all gunked up with Creosote after multiple uses affecting the airlfow. If the fan goes you would have to replace the entire unit.

It doesn't gunk up......had one for 5 years.  And if the firebox burps a spark, you just burn the hose, not a fan & motor.

If the fan dies, just send it back to Pitmaster and they will repair it.  Even if you did have to buy a whole new unit, it's not that much more than the PitViper fan by itself.

Trust me, they're a good unit and the best value all around.

• dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I have the DigiQ DX2. My concern about the IQ 220 is: The end of the hose could get all gunked up with Creosote after multiple uses affecting the airlfow. If the fan goes you would have to replace the entire unit.

It doesn't gunk up......had one for 5 years.  And if the firebox burps a spark, you just burn the hose, not a fan & motor.

If the fan dies, just send it back to Pitmaster and they will repair it.  Even if you did have to buy a whole new unit, it's not that much more than the PitViper fan by itself.

Trust me, they're a good unit and the best value all around.

The pit viper fan is $72.00 to replace on the BBQ Guru Site.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    dstearn said:

. My concern about the IQ 220 is:

The end of the hose could get all gunked up with Creosote after multiple uses affecting the airlfow.

Funniest and most delusional thing Ive heard in a looooong time!

BaHaHaHaHa!

• dstearn
    Options
    . My concern about the IQ 220 is: The end of the hose could get all gunked up with Creosote after multiple uses affecting the airlfow.
    Funniest and most delusional thing Ive heard in a looooong time! BaHaHaHaHa!

Really?
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Yes .... really! Creosote??? Show me some pics or proof of creosote coming out of the bottom vent of an Egg. Condensation ... Yes; Creosote ... No.
  • dstearn
    Options
    It collects on the metal adapter for my fan, I expect that it would collect on your adapter and possibly the end of the plastic hose. I said it was a concern. You had to get personal with the word delusional. I do not appreciate it.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Sorry man! I don't mean anything to ever be personal, but I love it when folks worry about the "what if's". Anything can happen to any temp controller at ANY time. That's all I'm saying.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    dstearn said:

It collects on the metal adapter for my fan

Also, this could be a perfect example why it's a good thing to have a 2ft hose between the bottom vent and fan. Just saying.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and let's all remember to play nice. I don't have the cash for either right now, but am leaning towards the IQ 120, because of plate and sounds like people who have them are happy with them.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    ;)

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm a simple man, so I got the 110 about 3 years ago. Cheaper and does all I want, keeps a constant temp for a long time so I can sleep peacefully during long cooks. It is well made as far as I can tell
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

The 120 is cool, but I have never really used any of it's extra functions with a BGE.  I use them on my Rebel 23, because that's what the 120 was designed for (the owner of Pitmaster competes with a Rebel; and the owner of Rebel ships all of them with a Pitmaster......get it?)

A 110 and a Maverick is all I need for BGE's.  That's what I ran for years (and probably still would be) if I didn't need the 120 for the Rebel.

A 110+Mav733 is pretty much the same price as a 120......so you just weigh which bells and whistles you want.

• RickyBobby
    Options

The 120 is cool, but I have never really used any of it's extra functions with a BGE.  I use them on my Rebel 23, because that's what the 120 was designed for (the owner of Pitmaster competes with a Rebel; and the owner of Rebel ships all of them with a Pitmaster......get it?)

A 110 and a Maverick is all I need for BGE's.  That's what I ran for years (and probably still would be) if I didn't need the 120 for the Rebel.

A 110+Mav733 is pretty much the same price as a 120......so you just weigh which bells and whistles you want.

Good points. I went with the 120 because I didn't have a Maverick and wanted a food probe. Plus, I figured why fumble with two seperate units if I can do what I need with one. I really doubt I'll ever get a Maverick either. I really like the simplicity of the unit.
  • Ladeback69
    Options

I have a Ivation dual probe like the Maverick so I would be interested in the 110. I also thought since the 120 had a larger size hose it would work better with my XL, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I have a Ivation dual probe like the Maverick so I would be interested in the 110. I also thought since the 120 had a larger size hose it would work better with my XL, but I guess it doesn't matter.

The 110 and 120 are identical in terms of the size, fan, hose etc. The 120 just has a digital screen, a dual function knob, and a food temp probe. Other than those differences, everything else is programming.

The fan on both is a variable speed. Both are automatic, but the 120 gives you the option to manually control the fan. On the xl, you still use one of the lowest setting possible.

I sell a bunch of 110's, and they are the best for "set it and forget it". Just turn the knob. No inputting or anything else.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I own a PartyQ and love it. It's the best so please don't argue with me about it (because my mind is made up). ;)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RickyBobby
    Options

I own a PartyQ and love it. It's the best so please don't argue with me about it (because my mind is made up). ;)

BaHaHaHaHa! That's more like what the others should have said. Lol!
    :))