Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone quality

Options

Comments

• TifffanyD
    Options
    Legume said:

I think I heard that space shuttle tiles made in mexico are the way to go. 
    :))

Lol I read that too
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    bf1644 said:

Grate Grills & More in Oldsmar is a nice store also check local Pinch a Penny stores in Tampa alot of them carry the Eggs

Yeah the pinch a penny stores are the ones that aren't knowledgeable. They keep lying to us
  • TifffanyD
    Options

The site below recommends a 16 inch stone for the large BGE. About the only game in town for that size is the ceramic grill store. I don't thing BGE makes them that size. The CGS is cheaper as http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

I have a medium :)
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the BGE Stone! Buy it once and be done with it.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just my opinion BGE due to the warranty. You break it and they replace it if I'm not mistaken. That's pretty hard to beat.

Forever? Or for 3 years? Check the warranty on their website....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The site below recommends a 16 inch stone for the large BGE. About the only game in town for that size is the ceramic grill store.

Not in my town: http://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/stones/round-pizza-and-baking-stones.php I have the 19"...made in USA
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Another option is the pizza baking steel.  It is being talked about more and more on the pizza forums and is recommended by many people who teach pizza making.  I love mine!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Started w/ my wife's PC stone and fortunately I didn't crack/break it as it is 17 yrs old and well seasoned. I roll w/ a BGE stone. Done.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Gogogordy‌
    I'm honestly not sure how long the warranty is. But if it is limited to 3 years that's still far better than no warranty at all. I have had excellent results with the BGE stone. When I installed my new Rutland gasket I did a test fire at over 1200 degrees and threw the stone in as well to return it to white condition. I held this temp for 30 minutes and the gasket or stone did not blink. This speaks volumes to me as to the quality of the BGE stone. I would both buy and recommend them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gogogordy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Gogogordy‌ I'm honestly not sure how long the warranty is. But if it is limited to 3 years that's still far better than no warranty at all. I have had excellent results with the BGE stone. When I installed my new Rutland gasket I did a test fire at over 1200 degrees and threw the stone in as well to return it to white condition. I held this temp for 30 minutes and the gasket or stone did not blink. This speaks volumes to me as to the quality of the BGE stone. I would both buy and recommend them.

There are certain things in life I dont worry too terribly much about, if at all....my pizza stone's warranty is one of them. Much ado about nothing in the grand scheme of my life.
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    How much is the BGE pizza stone for a med egg?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    TifffanyD said:

How much is the BGE pizza stone for a med egg?

I'm not sure, but the 18" for the XL is around $90. My guess it would be around $30-$40 for a 12". My dealer ship's mail order, they are a pool store too, but they know what they are doing and offer cooking classes. Check out www.kcbbqsource.com.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The BGE stone and the CGS stone I have are great products. You can't go wrong with either of them.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Chef's Depot has some great stones, made in USA and can be used on grills or commercial ovens. I have the 13" - ideal for a MBGE. At $30 including the peel it is a good value. 

http://www.chefdepot.net/pizzamaking.htm

Also have a $10 14" stone from Kitchen collection (Hamilton Beach I think) which just keeps getting better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I love my Pampered Chef stone. Perfect Pizza everything!

Extra crispy blackened pepperoni...nom nom!
    photo 28d107e9.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    Buy a 16" round kiln shelf

/thread
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I got one as a gift caled "ceramic chef."  smooth on one side, griddle-type ridges on the other.  never used the ridge side.  You can get it from crate and barrel for about $40.  Seems to be holding up well - used for pizzas in the over for a few years, and now pizzas on the egg at 600-650 for the past couple months.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Buy the BGE deep dish pizza stone. You can use it on one side for deep dish pizza, biscuits, rolls, etc. or flip it over for regular pizza crust. I love mine. Knock on wood I have yet to make a bad pizza on it.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @bvc are those food-safe?  I'm amazed at the price difference
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I love my Pampered Chef stone. Perfect Pizza everything! Extra crispy blackened pepperoni...nom nom! photo 28d107e9.jpg
    Must be @Mickey recipe for pizza - pairs nicely with his wings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Tiffany - you seem to want to go a different route than all have suggested here. Besides endorsing BGE pizza stone I will also recommend a French made stone made by Emile Henry. It too is a high temperature stone. While I have used it in my BGE several times I now just use it in my oven. Amazon carries them and from time to time they show up on WOOT at a considerable discount.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it too much.  If you rind the right size stone locally, just grab it and start cooking pizza.

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread but just because someone's secret combo works for them, doesn't mean it's the only way.  We all get a little superstitious cooking on the egg because we've had failed cooks...so when something works right nobody f*cks with the setup and assumes it is because of their unique combination of fairy dust and equipment.  :)  It's just the egg.  The thing works!

That said, if you have the time and funds, hell yeah...buy the thickest and best quality you can get a hold of.  Just know you don't NEED it for good results.  ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I have a Pampered Chef stone that we've had since pre-BGE. It works fine in the BGE. I'm aware of their reported tendency to break, but this one hasn't .... still intact after about 8 years of Egging. Having said that, I do use my BGE pizza stones almost exclusively these days.
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tiffany - you seem to want to go a different route than all have suggested here. Besides endorsing BGE pizza stone I will also recommend a French made stone made by Emile Henry. It too is a high temperature stone. While I have used it in my BGE several times I now just use it in my oven. Amazon carries them and from time to time they show up on WOOT at a considerable discount.

I truly didn't have a preconceived notion. I apologize if it sounded like I did. I just didn't want to get wrapped up in the name of a product vs the quality of it.

I do like the idea of the deep dish someone posted so that I can flip it and use it either way. Interesting.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2014
    Options

@TiffanyD How about the baking steels?

I did not get one, I thought quite a few on the forum did. How do they compare to a stone?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I have BGE stone and CGS stone. I also have a baking sheet. The baking sheet for the price is just as good as the stone IMHO.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hotch said:

@TiffanyD How about the baking steels?

I did not get one, I thought quite a few on the forum did. How do they compare to a stone?

The Baking Steel transfers heat much more readily than the stone so you will burn the crust with similar setups. You have to either lower the heat(500-550) or put a more substantial heat sink under the steel. Once you get it down, it's awesome. Plus, I use mine like a griddle for burgers and what not. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
    RRP said:

I truly didn't have a preconceived notion. I apologize if it sounded like I did. I just didn't want to get wrapped up in the name of a product vs the quality of it.

I do like the idea of the deep dish someone posted so that I can flip it and use it either way. Interesting.

You will love the deep dish pan from BGE!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• jerryb78
    Options
    What you're really looking for is mass.  The more mass, the more heat it will absorb, the better the result you'll get.  The BGE stone is very good.  I have a massive beast of a stone for my oven made from Fibrament.  (bakingstone.com)  It's too big to fit on my egg and I haven't used their stones that are designed for the barbecue, but if they're anything like the one I've got then they should be plenty good.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    just go buy a stone/dish/shelf/steel already and post some pizza pics before this thread gets to three pages!