Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI grate

Options
I realize this is basic grilling however I really don't know. What is the CI good for I understand steaks but do they make good sear marks or is there a better way. And what else do you all cook on a CI grill? I'm still learning here and appreciate any and all help-
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Cast Iron grates are good for all cooks. They do provide better sear marks has they have better heat retention and transfer once heated up. Also like any cast iron make sure you keep it seasoned or it will rust.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have the cast iron grate and like it a lot however, when searing steaks I always go for my GrillGrate. Just google it and you will see. It is worth the money!
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    One overlooked feature of the CI grate is that it has 2 different sides.  On one side the bars have a very wide surface.  This is good for things that might sink down into the space between the bars, like burgers, asparagus, fish, etc.  The other side has a narrow surface, and will put a darker mark on things like steaks.

One other benefit of the CI grate is that you can use it to do an indirect cook if you do not have a platesetter.  Buy two or three bricks, wrap them in HDAF, and put them on the edges of the CI grate.  Put a cheap disposable foil pan in the middle of the CI grate, then put the original grate on top of the bricks.  Cook your food over the foil pan on the original grate.  Did some bacon this way a few days ago, and it turned out great!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I use my CI grate all the time. It does create great sear marks on burgers, fish, steaks and poultry. Another advantage I've seen is that when flipped with the bottom side up, the gap between each grate is smaller - this helps from having thinly sliced veggies etc. from falling through. 

I got a new 10" Lodge CI flat griddle that I will be using to sear my steaks instead of the CI grate. But, if you're thinking about getting the CI grate - DO IT.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gave away all my CI grates. Heavy and can live just fine w/o thicker grill marks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RiverDoc
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've looked at the GrillGrate but didn't know if the CI would also be a good investment. I've been Egging for 3 months now and LOVE it but so much to learn. Last question I have been cooking all my grill-types ie burgers, steak, chicken and fish raised. Is this correct or should some of Therese be cooked at the stock "ring" level?
    -Todd
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    CI grid is mostly used to mark veggies, eggplant, zucchini, carrots. For steaks, depends on wether you want a steak that looks good or is (as some would say) properly seared. CI grids do a great job of providing grill marks - which are actually burnt meat marks, not really searing at all - more like branding. Some like the texture and taste. 
    Searing is better done with a more open grid - like the SS grid. Lightly dab dry the meat before the sear to speed up the Mailard reaction. A properly seared steak has that mahogany colour everywhere - not stripes or grid lines. Many prefer to sear in a CI skillet or use a torch to get even colour. I've changed my opinion on this over the past couple of years, my reverse sear set-up was to put the CI grid on the fire ring, setter on the CI grid, SS grid on the setter. Cook steak at 225º-250º indirect until IT is about 115º, pull the steak, tent it, pull the setter and open the vents to get the egg nuclear. Sear and serve. This method gives the smoke and rub a chance to work some magic. 
    Now I often use the Trés Booblay (ANOVA sous vide) and sear with a CI skillet or butane torch, finish with compound butter and/or board sauce. 
    No right or wrong, just different. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    havent used my cast iron grid in years, i just light a hotter fire for searing with my stainless grid. the cast iron grid is heavey, has too much heat retention for how i cook in the egg, and is prone to cracking.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I love using mine for searing: 

imageimage
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GATABITES‌
    Brother that's some awesome grill marks above. You have perfected that to the point of art work!! Excellent looking for sure brother Gata!!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @SGH‌ - thank you my friend. I just want4d to demonstrate how I use the cast iron. I love it.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Too much maintenance... I don't use mine anymore.

Options
    @GATABITES‌
    I use both SS & CI for different cooks. I like them both for various reasons. The CI sure will make some awesome looking grub as you demonstrated all to well my friend!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'll let this picture explain why I love mine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    paqman said:
    Too much maintenance... I don't use mine anymore.

Lmao...hey Paq'y....are you just a sour apple? everything you post is like you're being a douche'

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I love mine. Have CI for both Large and Small. The weight isn't really an issue, but then again, I'm not a girl.

Little Rock, AR

• RiverDoc
    Options
    @GATABITES‌ and @RRP‌ most impressive marks! I see many steaks in my future trying to recreate this( most likely in vain) but it will be fun trying thanks for all the help I'm going to get it.
    -Todd
  • RRP
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    @GATABITES‌ and @RRP‌ most impressive marks! I see many steaks in my future trying to recreate this( most likely in vain) but it will be fun trying thanks for all the help I'm going to get it.
    Thanks - the other reason I love them is it drives my b-i-l nuts! He's a gasser and he can't do that unless he drew them on with a Magic-Marker!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @RRP that weber sear grate that I use on my small leaves those awesome marks, too. It looks like expanded metal so you dont have to rotate the steaks or chops to get the crosshatch.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP that weber sear grate that I use on my small leaves those awesome marks, too. It looks like expanded metal so you dont have to rotate the steaks or chops to get the crosshatch.
    I hear you Shane, but I like the artsy-fartsy flair of perfecting the 90 degree flips! LOL
  • fljoemon
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks - the other reason I love them is it drives my b-i-l nuts! He's a gasser and he can't do that unless he drew them on with a Magic-Marker!
    Aww .. c'mon @RRP .. I have a 15 yr old Weber gasser (Silver Genesis B) with cast iron grates and I can get the same exact grill marks like you do all the time!

Next time I grill steaks on it I will post a pic :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @RRP I screw them up. My angles always end up obtuse (or is it acute?). Either way, not good. I have to cheat.

Little Rock, AR

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    RRP said:
    Aww .. c'mon @RRP .. I have a 15 yr old Weber gasser (Silver Genesis B) with cast iron grates and I can get the same exact grill marks like you do all the time!

Next time I grill steaks on it I will post a pic :-)

Yeah my Weber Genesis will do that with a flick of a switch.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I use the CI flat side up for doing meatloaf. The narrower gaps keep the meat atop the grid and still allow for good smoke around the loaf. I also like grill marks on my steaks.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Caymanite
    Options
    I get great sear marks with my stainless steel grid, don't see the need for a CI grid.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • bcsnave
    edited September 2014
    Options

I love my cast iron....I even got 9" lodge no handle griddles ...heat them to 500 on the mini..sear fillets and finish at 325 on the large..keep the fillets on the griddles..put on wood plates..

cast iron is nice..but you don't NEED it  ..(just ask Biggreenpharmacist )..hell you don't even NEED a Big Green Egg...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My CI stays in the egg on my LG.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bcsnave
    Options
    So Husker...you cook everything on CI

Glenbeulah, WI