Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock 101

Options
I am planning to spatchcock my first chicken on Friday night. My plan is to take the backbone out tomorrow then let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours (we like the skin crispy). Then use some EVOO and dizzy dust, and put on raised direct at 400.

A couple quick questions:

Should it sit in the fridge uncovered?
Should I apply the EVOO and rub on the entire bird, or just the top of it (meat side)?
Anything else to know?

Thanks!

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    My opinion, yes uncovered in fridge, but no EVOO at all.  Just rub it up everywhere.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    If your rub has any components that tend to burn, a good trick to learn is to lift the chicken's skin away from the flesh on the breast and thighs. Then with a long handled spoon place your rub under the skin and massage it in with your fingers. Put the chicken in the fridge uncovered and the skin will dry out nicely. When you cook it the skin will crisp but will  also protect your rub and keep it from burning. 
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    Do you rub it before or after you leave it in the fridge?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I wait until after your uncovered fridge time, the skin will become tacky and the rub will stick better. I believe the correct term is that "pellicle forms".
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spot on other than I'd town down the temp to 350-375. 50 minutes. Moneyimage
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Since the back hinge area of the BGE is the hottest part due to air-flow design, I always run with the legs to the back.  Helps them get to the finish temp about the same time as the breasts.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    For what it's worth...I stopped doing the overnight dry-out a while back in favor of putting some corn starch on the skin and letting it sit in the fridge uncovered for just a few hours, then I scrape any excess off with a spoon, then add seasoning (raising the Steaks, actually) mixed with melted butter under the skin, then coat the outside with OO and season and on the egg it goes. The skin comes out nicely every time and I don't have to have a whole chicken taking up a shelf in the fridge for a whole day.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"