Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - opening day

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
One of my boys came home from college for the weekend and we managed to have a great morning dove hunt with some good friends. Four limits in just a couple of hours. Put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.imageimage

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That is the best of times right there. Good for you
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Nice SBE 2. I shot the SBE 1 for years until it got stolen from my truck. I got the Super Nova and Super Vinci now.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    I was just about to post the same thread. Good times today. Love dove season. My second year with my SBE2...love that gun. My buddy I was hunting with just got one and broke it in today. Jase on DD put it best...."doves are the filet minon of the sky". I'll be sure to post some dove pics on the egg soon.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    I am always looking forward to dove season.  I got five yesterday.  We were not in a very hot field but it was still a lot of fun! 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Way to go. :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very nice. Where were you hunting? Our ranch is in the South Zone so opening day isn't till the 19th and I'll just happen to be there that weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Legume
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Had a blast, best birds we've seen in years.  I think the weather helped, light breeze, broken cloud cover.  It wasn't a blast furnace like it normally is and limiting in the AM certainly helped.

@travisstrick @Que-n-Brew that Bennelli isn't mine, but I know my friend loves it.  I just shoot one of those Turkish o/u from Academy that I picked up ~ 6 years ago, I haven't spent the $ on a decent gun yet but when I do, I know I'll get a Benelli.

@Griffin this was in Elgin. We used to head to a ranch just outside of Alice every year for south zone opening as well, but the kids got busier and the dove really dropped off for a couple of years so we stopped doing that.  I think I still have scratches on my legs from the mesquite that are still healing though :))  I hope you have a great time and see a ton of birds.

I vacuum sealed and froze 60 small half-breasts yesterday.  I usually wrap with a jalapeno strip and bacon and grill them, but now that I have an egg, I'm looking to find some new recipes.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Alice, huh? Very close to where I grew up. Corpus Christi. I hope we see a bunch as it might be the only chance I get this year. The past two years, we just haven't seen a lot outside of Goliad at our ranch. Hope this year is different.

We do the same thing with our dove. I've tried doing a quick and simple brine, not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    edited September 2014
    Options

Legume said:

I just shoot one of those Turkish o/u from Academy that I picked up ~ 6 years ago, I haven't spent the $ on a decent gun yet but when I do, I know I'll get a Benelli.
    If you really want a good gun, get you a quality over/under. I personally shoot a Krieghoff but I also have a Browning Citori and Caesar Guerini that gets the job done. If you are in the market for a good automatic, a Browning Maxus is hard to beat as well.
  • Legume
    Options
    Good Lord!  I just did a quick check of Krieghoff.  @jmcnutt5 I certainly appreciate the suggestions.  I do have a friend with a Citori that is very nice, but it's just not important enough to me to dive in that deep.  If I hunted often and was really into shooting clays I would feel differently, but for me it's just a tool and for tools I know I won't use often, I'm a Harbor Freight guy.  I am envious of those that can make that kind of investment and really appreciate it, I really am, but it would be lost on me and probably cause me to lose sleep.

I have the o/u and have a Rem 870, so when I do eventually get another, it will be an auto that I can take to the coast.  I'm not a gun guy (not a knife guy either as evidenced by my posts on those threads), so good to me is < good to a gun guy.  No fancy wood for me.  I know with an auto, I want something that is smooth, action isn't temperamental and is durable.  I'll drop it more and clean it less than I should.  I'll check out the Maxus when the time comes, but I just don't have it in me to go high end on something like this - I won't go bottom on an auto because that's probably just asking for problems (unlike an o/u).  If I was buying today - I would want a Benelli because I've shot my friend's and I love it, but not sure I can even justify the cash for that.  Not for me, but cheers to you, that Krieghoff looks like one hell of a nice shotgun!
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    Nice! I also have the Academy Turkey O/U which I find to be a great hunting shotgun. I also don't care if it gets dropped, used as a boat paddle, or have to use it as a hammer! ;)

I also want a SBE2 but just can't justify the cost when my O/U kills what I point at.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Texansurf
    Options

Missed the opening day but should be out this fryday.  the pict is from last year.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Man, I do miss this! Been several years...
    Kemah, TX
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I marinate mine over night in red wine, lemon juice, Montreal steak, and olive oil. Then grill them over medium heat.  The result is really pretty good. My wife even likes them. In addition,  A guy from Texas recommended using buttermilk as a marinade. I might try that this year. 
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    @Legume‌ you can't go wrong with an 870...this much I am sure of!