Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do you guys keep leftovers?

Options
Made pulled pork on sat 8/30. Still have plenty, tasted fine today. How many more days do I have left?
Mundelein, IL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,387
    Options

I am sure this is way outside food guidelines-but I just finished up some brisket that I smoked on 8/24.  Was kept in a kitchen fridge (around 37*F)  in a plastic container-not vac sealed or anything special.  This is about a normal time-frame for me to polish off the large hunks of beef or pork. 

So all that said, you have at least six days and counting.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The magic number for leftovers stored in our refrigerator in our house is 5 days. If not consumed or frozen by then, I toss it. That would include pulled pork. If I were single and lived alone without kids, I'd probably risk 7-10 days. In fact before I was married and while in college, I once ate some breaded veal that my mom gave me, that I found on the back seat of my car, it had been there for at least a day maybe two. Nothing happened I was fine :)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options

I don't have a problem going at least a week.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't really care as long as there is nothing fuzzy, smelly, or slimy growing. Up to 2 weeks, I guess.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I generally consume what I cook in a very short time frame so I can't really offer much help my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    Options

9-10 days for me.  I do a big cook on weekends.  Garbage day is Wednesday, so whatever's been there over a week is tossed.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• EggPlant
    Options
    Yeah a 4# butt is hard to finish off when its just for two people. Kinda hard to find a 1# butt or 1# brisket.
    Mundelein, IL
  • SGH
    Options
    @EggPlant‌
    Brother I can devour a 4 pound butt by myself. No question of it. Check out the link below if you doubt me ;)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170434/when-i-hunger-i-feed-tonights-throw-down#latest

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @SGH ain't joking. He eats like the Japanese dude at the Nathan's Hot Dog contests.

I have a 7 day limit to eat and 3 days to freeze.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Tellem brother!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2014
    Options
    EggPlant said:
    Yeah a 4# butt is hard to finish off when its just for two people. Kinda hard to find a 1# butt or 1# brisket.
    I take my leftovers, divide it up into individual size servings in ziplocs and then freeze them.  So I can pull a ziploc of pulled pork, quick thaw in a microwave, and have a delicious hot pulled pork sandwich for lunch.  I go through a lot of ziplocs, but I nearly always have pastrami, roast beef, sliced ham, pulled pork, & pork carnitas in my freezer as well as 1/2 lb balls of home ground beef and bags of chicken portioned for my family size.  this way I can thaw and make almost anything for dinner for a family of 3 and not always be dealing with too much leftovers in the fridge.  Today I just thawed two large chicken thighs, deboned them, and sliced them up for stir-fry tonight.  I've learned how to make a lot of my own "hamburger helpless" style meals.  (Something like a hamburger helper, but no box of pre-measured noodles and seasoning packet).  I measure my own noodles and my own seasoning concoction.  And I size my recipes for a 1/2 lb of meat instead of the traditional "1 lb" so I don't have leftovers or at least very little.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• wkenta86
    Options
    7 days for beef or pork. 4 days for chicken.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    2+ weeks if it was promptly cooled and kept cold.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pigoutsc
    Options
    To me Pork starts tasting a little gamey after the second day. I will throw out on day 3 if not eaten or frozen by then. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "2+ weeks if it was promptly cooled and kept cold."

Foghorn, Man that seems like a huge gamble to me. 2+ weeks? I'd be worried going that long. 

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    If 1) the meat didn't sit out long, 2) it has been in our 34 degree refrigerator, and 3) it looks and smells OK then I'll eat it. It doesn't make it that long very often but occasionally I'll find something in the back of the fridge....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    5 days is generally acceptable - but ALWAYS trust your nose, if it smells off - it is
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    With 2 people we do get some leftovers but they are good to take to work a show off to my co-workers  ;) and share with them to 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Wow! Shocked reading this thread. 3 days for me.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Most meats are kept til the next trash day then thrown out. We actually joke about it - "do you want me to throw this out now or wait til next Wednesday?" Large cooks (Pulled pork, Brisket) get vac sealed and frozen. Thanksgiving turkey goes til I've had a couple sandwiches, then gone by Sunday. Pizza until it's gone, at least a week or so if I make a lot.